2010 Insight Bowl Iowa vs. Missouri

docholihawk

Just watched the replay of our bowl game with Mizzou. Our team was loaded with talent. I looked up the roster and if I;m not mistaken we had 26 guys that spent varying degrees of time in the NFL. What's more important was how good our safeties, Brett Greenwood and Tyler Sash were and the tragedies that befell them shortly after leaving Iowa.

It' been quite a while since I've heard how Brett is doing. Is there anybody who has an update? Prayers continue to go out to Brett and the Sash and Greenwood families.

Is this the game where Mizzou had a future NFL-All-Everything Team type of guy at Defensive End, and Iowa gets a couple hundred yards rushing from a kid who transfers after the next season and disappears?

things I remember is Green wood left in the 3Q and did not return, and Iowa was playing a freshman at safety the whole 4Q.

it looked like Mizzou was taking over the game, Iowa gave up a big lead again, Mizzou took the lead and in 4Q was driving easily again to put the game away and BOOM! Micah Hyde makes that pick-6 that totally turned the game around. Iowa suddenly takes the lead. Mizzou has one last chance and had that replay review that took absolutely forever. but the replay can not confirm a catch and Mizzou turns it over on downs. iowa wins#

probably the last decent bowl game Iowa played. although the defense played good in outback bowl against LSU.

...Mizzou has one last chance and had that replay review that took absolutely forever. but the replay can not confirm a catch and Mizzou turns it over on downs. iowa wins# probably the last decent bowl game Iowa played. although the defense played good in outback bowl against LSU.
The Replay the officials saw confirmed the receiver did not have possession, it was never shown on the broadcast but SMPTE-TC stamped frames of the reverse angle appeared on the net later that showed the ball on the ground as the receiver slid out of bounds. It took forever because officials could only watch one camera angle at a time. When one view showed the ball on the ground the official had to write down the time code stamp and then watch each of the other angles at that point to get the entire picture. Someone posted a link to the frames at BHGP a couple weeks after the game (might still be out there..). I believe that last year they got the technology in the booth to watch up to four angles in sync simultaneously which should shorten the time future reviews take in similar situations.

Capped off the most disappointing season I can remember...other than 05 season perhaps

I think I remember JM on the radio talking about how Nick Foles was a better quarterback than Blaine Gabbert and everyone thought he was trolling his listeners, or maybe it was a podcast I can't remember.

There were a number of problems that year, but I would pick out two primary problems. Ferentz's over reliance on conservative defensive football cost Iowa a lot of leads in the second half of many games. Iowa was relatively good at jumping out to an early lead, but hunkered down in the second half for many of those losses. The second reason is key injuries. The loss of multiple linebackers as the season progressed, and beat up defensive backs late in the season. Ferentz was relying on a defense that had problems keeping enough healthy players in the game.

I think I remember JM on the radio talking about how Nick Foles was a better quarterback than Blaine Gabbert and everyone thought he was trolling his listeners, or maybe it was a podcast I can't remember.

It's looking like Gabbert is the better qb now though it didn't look like that after their first couple of years in the NFL.

Thanks Gabbert for throwing that ball to Hyde... It sure felt like Iowa was going to piss that game right down their leg till that play. Yeah Iowa had a solid group that year. Didn't Reisner just about score on a late long play on a great call by KOK? Reisner like didn't read the blocking and ran right into the guy to get upended at the 1. He shoulda walked in for the TD

Thanks Gabbert for throwing that ball to Hyde... It sure felt like Iowa was going to piss that game right down their leg till that play. Yeah Iowa had a solid group that year. Didn't Reisner just about score on a late long play on a great call by KOK? Reisner like didn't read the blocking and ran right into the guy to get upended at the 1. He shoulda walked in for the TD
Yeah, he turned inside his blocker. Could have walked into the corner of the end zone I thought.

Latest posts