time for change

I'm disappointed with how the season is ending but if Murray hadn't come back the record would look a lot worse. To play defense it takes a different type of athlete than is currently on the roster. It was noticeable today vs OSU. Without naming names there were individuals on the floor today that could not stop the dribble drive and not quick or fast enough to guard the perimeter. I'm not sure there is a coach out there that can overcome the difficulties Iowa has being competitive in the Big Ten and beyond.

I'm not sure Fran can continue trying to develop a team with his type of recruit. There are programs that will raid development programs after all the hard work is done. I personally believe Perkins will be pursued hard to be a transfer. I think he has to listen because next year will be much like Garza's 4 and 14 year. Fran's 62 and he is smart enough to change his recruiting but will the transfer pool listen? Based on the past there hasn't been much interest.

Awe, refreshing truth. Not just blind fanaticism. Our defense has cost us every season. At this point after these many years with Fran it is clear defense is not his thing.

Still, he’s one hell of an offensive coach. No one wants a Lickliter type of coach in Iowa City again.

Folding in the NCAA tournament is getting old though. He doesn’t need to figure it out. We all know it’s a lack of defense skill sets among the type of players he recruits. Good shooters overall, great kids who aren’t in trouble with the law. That’s important.

Dribbling a ball is a skill set for sure. It’s amazing how quick some players can move while dribbling the ball. What is head scratching though is how can a player who is dribbling the ball out quick a defender to the hoop who is not dribbling the ball? How much slower is that defender?? It’s been a serious problem for Fran.

I am not ready to jump ship on Fran just yet. He seriously needs to upgrade his defense though.

As far as the loss in the B1G tournament, let’s not forget who won the tournament last year. We have to be fair.

Maybe we all will get a big surprises this time around. Stranger things have happened in sports. We have had what APPEARED to be better teams in March Madness the last two years and that didn’t pan out. All I am saying is “the law of averages”. You never know!

I’m excited for Iowa hoops, we’re on a great stretch and Fran keeps raising the bar. I’m excited for the future signs, I’d hate to lose any of them. Let’s see where it goes? Iowa has nothing to lose locking down Fran at this point. He’s much more likely to get extended or leave for a better job then fired, the OP is a dingus, that is all.
Not being that guy, but what bar does Fran keep raising? Is it really raising the bar or maintaining the status quo that he's set for himself with finishing in the top half of the conference, putting up a ton of points, defensive results that are far inferior to what we do on the offensive end, and making the dance on what is now a consistent basis and getting players all conference recognition and putting some in the NBA.

I'm not saying any of the above is bad or saying it's time for him to move on, because I'm not sure I feel that way, but is he really continuing to raise the bar or are we at the peak with a valley to come? We're still not winning winning regular season titles (which I admit is a far stretch), with the exception of last year we can't consistently make it to the weekend of the conference tournament, and we've yet to get past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

I agree that Iowa has nothing to lose locking Fran down at this point, but there is still something to gain and I think Fran's style of play (which I like with the exception of our defensive woes) contributes greatly to that and gets in his way of getting to the next level. I'm just not sure Fran has the capacity to take this program to the next level, but also feel that you simply don't just replace him unless he decides it's time to leave on his own. If the right guy is out there and interested then maybe take a chance, but I'm not certain Barta's the guy I want making that decision.

Awe, refreshing truth. Not just blind fanaticism. Our defense has cost us every season. At this point after these many years with Fran it is clear defense is not his thing.

Still, he’s one hell of an offensive coach. No one wants a Lickliter type of coach in Iowa City again.

Folding in the NCAA tournament is getting old though. He doesn’t need to figure it out. We all know it’s a lack of defense skill sets among the type of players he recruits. Good shooters overall, great kids who aren’t in trouble with the law. That’s important.

Dribbling a ball is a skill set for sure. It’s amazing how quick some players can move while dribbling the ball. What is head scratching though is how can a player who is dribbling the ball out quick a defender to the hoop who is not dribbling the ball? How much slower is that defender?? It’s been a serious problem for Fran.

I am not ready to jump ship on Fran just yet. He seriously needs to upgrade his defense though.

As far as the loss in the B1G tournament, let’s not forget who won the tournament last year. We have to be fair.

Maybe we all will get a big surprises this time around. Stranger things have happened in sports. We have had what APPEARED to be better teams in March Madness the last two years and that didn’t pan out. All I am saying is “the law of averages”. You never know!

Not sure I agree with the comment about being an offensive coach. In getting relatively non-quick players to score so many points, yes. However, many of his players are not near complete sound offensive players. Probably weaker than most Big teams with a few exceptions.

Perkins flat out has a lot of potential but is inconsistent. Sandfort played pretty much like a 1st year guy (playing much) but does pretty well. Flip...undersized, but I'll give FM credit for getting him to develop. Murray is just plain good and was dragged down some by the support cast. Ullis may be pretty good.

Most of the bottom teams are bad matchups for Iowa as they are actually pretty good fundamentally (OSU has a lot of plain out talent and young). Most any good fundamentals coach that has a team undertalented relish playing a team that is better talented buy sloppy on the fundamental. Most any good coach could clear up the fundamentals issues in short order. It's just not what Fran is and his system works well enough for him.

I honestly thought PM hitting well in the first half against Nebby was going to be problematic in the 2nd half and going forward. You just aren't going to be consistent in winning in the big if you can't get to the hoop and Iowa has too many players that can't (PM can quite well....going only to his right and teams know that) Perkins I just don't understand, except that teams dare Iowa to shoot and pack the interior against Iowa. They do help double Murray and Flip even and it still doesn't open. Teams just aren't scared of several Iowa players from the arc. It bit IU in game 1 and MSU late in the game.

Iowa on D just doesn't defend the arc hard and don't close out if they don't which is a huge sin. They are also vulnerable to the baseline.

The good days were Lute Olson and Mr. Davis.....all those stats and zero Sweet 16s or better. It is like empty calories.....ok that is harsh compared to Alfraud/Lackluster......but a lot of things would look good standing next to those two bums.

Fran would do himself some good to get the monkey off his back. But, it is hard to envision that happening this tournament unless the boys are scorching the nets.

Yea, those were good ole' days and Lute put this program on the map. NOw, nothing to take away from Mr. Davis and I like who he is, but, he did inherit an unGodly class from Raveling. Now, I think Iowa kind of lucked out because Tom brought with him a coaching style and game scheming that completely fit that group of athletes. Thank gawd a LIckliter didn't come at that time and play a slow game with that talent, if you see where I am going.

Mr. Davis was perfect for those talent classes and we fortunately got lucky and a good run out of them with Tom's coaching and game philosophy.

Fran took Iowa as far as he could Marble's senior year when he back doored into our first tournament appearance in a long time. Then he took them as far as he could Uthoff's senior year when he got us to number 3 in the country. Then he took us as far as he could when he got us to a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Then he took us as far as he could when he won a Big 10 tournament title last year.

I'm in the camp that it will be difficult to win anything really big with his all offense and no defense mindset. But not many coaches that are willing to come to Iowa can take us farther than he does anyway. And more than likely, their highest highs, their middles, and their lowest lows will all be worse than Fran.

....and to be honest and add another point. Remember when fans were so apathetic with Lickliter because of the style of play and fans wanted more up tempo play. Fran brought that immediately and we as fans generally enjoy watching this style. That is not a sure thing with a new coach. We don't want to revert to a style like Wisconsin, but we also want more defense.

Guys, eight days from now this could be the greatest Hawkeye season in a quarter century.

It's that simple. They'll play a coin flip game Thursday or Friday...win that, and then maybe a 20-25% chance to win on the weekend. It's a crapshoot and weird as hell how the numbers have fallen out over the last 35 years.

But don't overthink it. Fran keeps getting them into the tourney. That's most of the battle. And it's a fun style to watch. Fun!

It has been speculated on other Iowa boards, twitter, and podcasts. Again, all speculation....I don't think it will happen.
That's what I meant by "credible". With all due respect, those aren't. Those sources are fine for what they are but they don't source information, it's more idle speculation and guessing.

Not being that guy, but what bar does Fran keep raising? Is it really raising the bar or maintaining the status quo that he's set for himself with finishing in the top half of the conference, putting up a ton of points, defensive results that are far inferior to what we do on the offensive end, and making the dance on what is now a consistent basis and getting players all conference recognition and putting some in the NBA.

I'm not saying any of the above is bad or saying it's time for him to move on, because I'm not sure I feel that way, but is he really continuing to raise the bar or are we at the peak with a valley to come? We're still not winning winning regular season titles (which I admit is a far stretch), with the exception of last year we can't consistently make it to the weekend of the conference tournament, and we've yet to get past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

I agree that Iowa has nothing to lose locking Fran down at this point, but there is still something to gain and I think Fran's style of play (which I like with the exception of our defensive woes) contributes greatly to that and gets in his way of getting to the next level. I'm just not sure Fran has the capacity to take this program to the next level, but also feel that you simply don't just replace him unless he decides it's time to leave on his own. If the right guy is out there and interested then maybe take a chance, but I'm not certain Barta's the guy I want making that decision.
well... let's see, how does he keep raising the bar?

came to Iowa after 3 straight losing seasons - got Iowa back to a winning program in year 2 - bar raised

In the 11 previous years before Fran got here (Alford and Lick) - Iowa had 3 seasons above .500 in the B1G. Iowa has been above .500 in the B1G in 10 of the last 11 seasons. - bar raised

From 1999 - 2010/11, the year Fran was hired, so 11 years, Iowa had 3 NCAA appearances. - bar raised

Iowa has now been eligible for 8 NCAA tournaments in the last 10 years. Iowa hasn't had a stretch like that since the late 70's, early 80's. - bar raised

Iowa from 1984 to 2010 - Iowa had 8 B1G First Team selections. - So 26 years. Iowa has had 8 over the last 10 seasons. -bar raised

Iowa has had 7 All American caliber players in school history. Fran has had 4 All American selections since 2016. bar raised

Iowa has never had a NPOY before Fran. - Bar raised.

Iowa went 16 years since it's last conference tournament title, which they won in 2022 - bar raised.

From 1990 - 2007 - 17 years, Iowa had 7 players drafted in the NBA Iowa has had 5 in the last 9 years and will have their 4th in the last 4 years when Kris gets drafted this coming year. - bar raised

Fran is currently the 9th highest paid coach in the B1G. He's spent most of his time at Iowa sitting around the 11th or 12th.

Iowa is getting a lot of ROI out of Fran - the only thing he hasn't done is have a successful NCAA, once he gets to a S16, he will have raised that bar as well and then what will all you guys have to bitch about?

Last edited:
Guys, eight days from now this could be the greatest Hawkeye season in a quarter century.

It's that simple. They'll play a coin flip game Thursday or Friday...win that, and then maybe a 20-25% chance to win on the weekend. It's a crapshoot and weird as hell how the numbers have fallen out over the last 35 years.

But don't overthink it. Fran keeps getting them into the tourney. That's most of the battle. And it's a fun style to watch. Fun!
yeah, this team goes and lights it up from 3 next weekend and pulls an upset, this season changes from middle of road to best season since 1999. I don't think we'll see that, but it's not like out of the question. Up until last season, Fran couldn't win the BTT either.

Yea, those were good ole' days and Lute put this program on the map. NOw, nothing to take away from Mr. Davis and I like who he is, but, he did inherit an unGodly class from Raveling. Now, I think Iowa kind of lucked out because Tom brought with him a coaching style and game scheming that completely fit that group of athletes. Thank gawd a LIckliter didn't come at that time and play a slow game with that talent, if you see where I am going.

Mr. Davis was perfect for those talent classes and we fortunately got lucky and a good run out of them with Tom's coaching and game philosophy.
He was perfect for it. Mr. Davis brought back the bounce pass which was disappearing.

well... let's see, how does he keep raising the bar?

came to Iowa after 3 straight losing seasons - got Iowa back to a winning program in year 2 - bar raised

In the 11 previous years before Fran got here (Alford and Lick) - Iowa had 3 seasons above .500 in the B1G. Iowa has been above .500 in the B1G in 10 of the last 11 seasons. - bar raised

From 1999 - 2010/11, the year Fran was hired, so 11 years, Iowa had 3 NCAA appearances. - bar raised

Iowa has now been eligible for 8 NCAA tournaments in the last 10 years. Iowa hasn't had a stretch like that since the late 70's, early 80's. - bar raised

Iowa from 1984 to 2010 - Iowa had 8 B1G First Team selections. - So 26 years. Iowa has had 8 over the last 10 seasons. -bar raised

Iowa has had 7 All American caliber players in school history. Fran has had 4 All American selections since 2016. bar raised

Iowa has never had a NPOY before Fran. - Bar raised.

Iowa went 16 years since it's last conference tournament title, which they won in 2022 - bar raised.

From 1990 - 2007 - 17 years, Iowa had 7 players drafted in the NBA Iowa has had 5 in the last 9 years and will have their 4th in the last 4 years when Kris gets drafted this coming year. - bar raised

Fran is currently the 9th highest paid coach in the B1G. He's spent most of his time at Iowa sitting around the 11th or 12th.

Iowa is getting a lot of ROI out of Fran - the only thing he hasn't done is have a successful NCAA, once he gets to a S16, he will have raised that bar as well and then what will all you guys have to bitch about?

To answer your last question; NOTHING!!!
Let’s hope it happens this month!!! :)

That's what I meant by "credible". With all due respect, those aren't. Those sources are fine for what they are but they don't source information, it's more idle speculation and guessing.
well, if we're being honest, Jordan Bohannon said on a podcast he thought he was going to ND. Is that credible? Connor liked a tweet that speculated that Fran was potentially moving to ND. Is that credible? Doug Gottlieb, who has ties and played at ND, listed Fran as a potential candidate for the ND job. Credible?

An 8-9 seed is probably the best we can hope for. If we win the first game, that most likely means a second round game against a 1-2 seed. I don't see us getting through a game against a 1-2 seed.
I'd rather be a 10-11 then an 8-9.... Playing a 1 seed IF they win in the first round next all but guarantees us being out then. Being an 8-9 seed is the worst seed you can have if you ask me. Tough 1st round game with an impossible 2nd round game.

Not sure I agree with the comment about being an offensive coach. In getting relatively hi non-quick players to score so many points, yes. However, many of his players are not near complete sound offensive players. Probably weaker than most Big teams with a few exceptions.

Perkins flat out has a lot of potential but is inconsistent. Sandfort played pretty much like a 1st year guy (playing much) but does pretty well. Flip...undersized, but I'll give FM credit for getting him to develop. Murray is just plain good and was dragged down some by the support cast. Ullis may be pretty good.

Most of the bottom teams are bad matchups for Iowa as they are actually pretty good fundamentally (OSU has a lot of plain out talent and young). Most any good fundamentals coach that has a team undertalented relish playing a team that is better talented buy sloppy on the fundamental. Most any good coach could clear up the fundamentals issues in short order. It's just not what Fran is and his system works well enough for him.

I honestly thought PM hitting well in the first half against Nebby was going to be problematic in the 2nd half and going forward. You just aren't going to be consistent in winning in the big if you can't get to the hoop and Iowa has too many players that can't (PM can quite well....going only to his right and teams know that) Perkins I just don't understand, except that teams dare Iowa to shoot and pack the interior against Iowa. They do help double Murray and Flip even and it still doesn't open. Teams just aren't scared of several Iowa players from the arc. It bit IU in game 1 and MSU late in the game.

Iowa on D just doesn't defend the arc hard and don't close out if they don't which is a huge sin. They are also vulnerable to the baseline.

To comment on your first comment. That was a comparative comment on my part. His offense compared to his defense.

To comment on your first comment. That was a comparative comment on my part. His offense compared to his defense.
Absolutely and the fact is that he does well with offense... you are correct. It's Undeniable.

Mr. Davis also got a huge bad break with Street's death, Minnesota academic cheating scandal, and got his last team to the Sweet 16.

Latest posts