Next Nebraska Coach

I will never say never on anything, but Campbell has had opportunities that he hasn't taken. The stuff he's passed on, like Tennessee, I think fit the profile of what Nebraska is. A fanbase that is out of touch with reality on what their expectations should actually be.

Tennessee is a 100x better than Nebraska. Tennessee is a state that is growing at roughly a 10% clip every census and is right in the middle of great recruiting territory. Knoxville is a beautiful town tucked away in the mountains. Stadium seats over 100k, IIRC.

Point is, Tennessee fans may be crazy, but when two teams within 200 miles as the crow flies (UGA and Clemson) have won two of the last four national titles it is not unreasonable for their fans to expect a decent program. Nebraska, on the other hand, is not surrounded by greatness.

This is where I think you are a little off. I agree kids don't care about a championship that happened 26 years ago. But it's not about history - it's about visiting Lincoln on game day and seeing how crazy the entire state is for football. And walking around town and campus and feeling the love as a future Cornhusker. (In other words, sort of like a recruit visiting Iowa City and Kinnick on game day). It's not something that only happened in the past - that fanaticism is still alive.

Again, we aren't talking about 5 star recruits from Florida and Ohio. We're talking about the kids who are going to Iowa and Minnesota and Wisconsin and Iowa State.

You can't tell me that the game day experience in Lincoln doesn't impress kids compared to Evanston and Minneapolis. It's funny - I lived in Minneapolis for 7 or 8 years - and the common sentiment there was that it was difficult to compete with Midwestern college towns like Madison and Iowa City and Lincoln when recruiting 17 year olds. Walking around a college town and being seen as a rock star (even as a recruit) and then entering a stadium with 70,000 or 80,000 screaming fans seems to get far more traction with most kids than discussing all the cultural benefits of a larger city like Chicago or Minneapolis (particularly when they know they won't have time beyond football and school for the next 4 years).

Man, Nebraska fans really did a number on you, didn't they?
Now you've just completely jumped the shark. The gameday experience in Lincoln??? LOL

Have you been to a game in Lincoln in the last 8 years? I've been every time the Hawks played except for one since nebraska joined the B1G. The game day experience in Lincoln worse than every team in the west except Illinois. There's barely any tailgating, and what tailgating there is is done by a bunch of 58 year old Franks and Marges eating Runzas and drinking coffee. Good lord, man, where are you coming up with this?

I'm starting to think you live there as a closeted Husker fan, or that your kid works for the athletic department or something. Memorial Stadium is a total joke. It used to be the center of the world when they were good, but it's a joke now. Get to a game once and see for yourself.

Tennessee is a 100x better than Nebraska. Tennessee is a state that is growing at roughly a 10% clip every census and is right in the middle of great recruiting territory. Knoxville is a beautiful town tucked away in the mountains. Stadium seats over 100k, IIRC.

Point is, Tennessee fans may be crazy, but when two teams within 200 miles as the crow flies (UGA and Clemson) have won two of the last four national titles it is not unreasonable for their fans to expect a decent program. Nebraska, on the other hand, is not surrounded by greatness.
TN has no excuses that's for sure. Yet they haven't been able to get that pesky coaching hire right lately. Maybe Heupel is the guy is this yr 2 or 3 for him now? They've recruited well supposedly there QB is going to be good. There's some hype around here about them. But yet they have GA, FL and UK to worry about on their side of the division. It'll be tough for them to break through this yr anyway.

They could be a pretty good team with 8 wins to show for it kinda thing. It'll be interesting to see

Walking around a college town and being seen as a rock star (even as a recruit)
Holy smokes, man. You really haven't been there in the last decade, have you?

Rock star? UNL students know their program is a joke. My nephew is pre-dental in Lincoln and even he says that husker games are about 17th on a list of stuff students want to do on Saturdays.

Agree with Fry. Lincoln's game day stinks compared to Iowa, Wisconsin, hell even Minny. Memorial stadium is sandwiched between two big highways and the downtown. The downtown mostly sucks. It certainly is no PedMall. There is no equivalent to Melrose or the RV parking or other tailgates in IC. Once you get into the stadium, its ugly as shit. Its like 5 stadiums stitched together. Now, once the game kicks off, 90,000 strong make some serious noise, so I won't bag on the fans once the game kicks off. Its raucous. But, the lead up is nothing special.

Holy smokes, man. You really haven't been there in the last decade, have you?

Rock star? UNL students know their program is a joke. My nephew is pre-dental in Lincoln and even he says that husker games are about 17th on a list of stuff students want to do on Saturdays.
You been to games in Evanston or Minneapolis or Ames (or Seattle or Los Angeles for that matter)? Especially during a run of losing years? Most people, including the students, aren't even aware there is a football game that day. I totally understand how far Nebraska has fallen, but I think you underestimate just how much importance is still placed on football (and recruits) relative to a lot of places.

But yeah, you are making me feel dirty by saying anything good about Lincoln. I'm just saying this isn't a Pat Fitzgerald-Bill Snyder-Matt Campbell-Barry Alvarez kind of lift needed to compete with other schools in the Big Ten. The right coach is starting from a decent spot.

You been to games in Evanston or Minneapolis or Ames (or Seattle or Los Angeles for that matter)? Especially during a run of losing years? Most people, including the students, aren't even aware there is a football game that day.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Minnesota is way, way more of a lively atmosphere than Lincoln. I just don't know what to say if you can't see that. I've been to a whole bunch of games and there's zilch going on at a nebraska game. I'll give you a pass if you haven't and just assumed there was a gameday atmosphere, but there isn't. Other than NW ad possibly Maryland or Rutgers (never been to MD or Rutgers), nebraska is the most boring college football experience I've been to.

And if the bar you're now comparing nebraska to is Illinois, I think I've proven my point.

You been to games in Evanston or Minneapolis or Ames (or Seattle or Los Angeles for that matter)? Especially during a run of losing years? Most people, including the students, aren't even aware there is a football game that day. I totally understand how far Nebraska has fallen, but I think you underestimate just how much importance is still placed on football (and recruits) relative to a lot of places.

But yeah, you are making me feel dirty by saying anything good about Lincoln. I'm just saying this isn't a Pat Fitzgerald-Bill Snyder-Matt Campbell-Barry Alvarez kind of lift needed to compete with other schools in the Big Ten. The right coach is starting from a decent spot.
I'm going to UCLA vs Stanford later this year in the Rose Bowl and it's super easy to buy tickets anywhere in that stadium, even the best seats. So, you make some good points about "the lift" needed in some cities.

UNL should be much better than they are, even with the massive decline. IF those idiot fans could ever accept the fact that they are looking UP at Iowa, UW, Minny, NW, Purdue, and maybe Illinois, they might try to have a team with an identity and culture that competes with other teams in their division.

They still cling to the years when they could have 110 players that 'roided up in the program, and they could just recruit speed from LA, TX, and FL. It's just not the landscape now.

I know many rip on KF for not keeping up with the times, but he's done a masterful job of figuring out how to win in the division with the talent that exists in the midwest. NW, UW and Minn... same.

IF they could accept their reality and get a solid coach that builds teams form the inside out, they would have a chance at being truly competitive.

Agree with Fry. Lincoln's game day stinks compared to Iowa, Wisconsin, hell even Minny. Memorial stadium is sandwiched between two big highways and the downtown. The downtown mostly sucks. It certainly is no PedMall. There is no equivalent to Melrose or the RV parking or other tailgates in IC. Once you get into the stadium, its ugly as shit. Its like 5 stadiums stitched together. Now, once the game kicks off, 90,000 strong make some serious noise, so I won't bag on the fans once the game kicks off. Its raucous. But, the lead up is nothing special.
No tailgates period.

There's a few people standing around in the scattered parking lots drinking coffee and hot chocolate, but no tailgating. I have no idea where @SwirlinLingerie came up with Lincoln being an exciting experience. There's nothing there.

Now contrast to lowly old Iowa and the surrounding neighborhoods...Iowa like it or not gets it done.

Minnesota was getting a little better as an environment interesting to recruits under Kill, and definitely improved under Fleck, but that's sort of the whole point, right? The base of support/enthusiasm is already way better at Nebraska than when Kill/Fleck arrived at MN (and still blows away Evanston). It's not like a new coach at Nebraska needs to sell the student body, administration and community on the fact football can be kind a of fun, cool thing. The base is there.

Agreed that the game experience sucks for fans in Lincoln, but for recruits they care about what the tunnel walk and ingame experience. And, that part of it is impressive. 90,000 screaming Sand People. Whether or not there is a good tailgate or bar to hit is an us thing.

Nebbie has things to offer recruits. Loyal fans for sure. Dusty trophies. Good facilities. Support from administration.

The right coach can turn that program back into a winner. But, they will never be what they were. Never. In the old days, the winner of the Oklahoma Nebraska game got to play in the Orange Bowl for a nattie. Seriously, they had two serious games a year back in the Big 8 days. They started going down hill when they joined the Big 12 and had to win 3-4 legit games a year. Times have changed too much. They need to find a guy who can consistently win 7-11 games a year. That is their realistic ceiling in today's football.

No tailgates period.

There's a few people standing around in the scattered parking lots drinking coffee and hot chocolate, but no tailgating. I have no idea where @SwirlinLingerie came up with Lincoln being an exciting experience. There's nothing there.

Now contrast to lowly old Iowa and the surrounding neighborhoods...Iowa like it or not gets it done.
People that live there love it. The atmosphere around football is very good. You are biased and that's OK being biased in the right direction. I'd much rather deal with Nebbies than UM fans. They are beyond annoying. Iowa fans can be annoying. Nebbie fans are annoying yes, but basically, people who can be your friends and watch your dog when you are gone for a few days. Dont send them to their house or your dog might come back with an ego like this:
1661885938513.png

People that live there love it. The atmosphere around football is very good. You are biased and that's OK being biased in the right direction. I'd much rather deal with Nebbies than UM fans. They are beyond annoying. Iowa fans can be annoying. Nebbie fans are annoying yes, but basically, people who can be your friends and watch your dog when you are gone for a few days. Dont send them to their house or your dog might come back with an ego like this:
I was there in ‘11, ‘13, ‘15, ‘17, and ‘19. I can tell you for certain that there is no football atmosphere on game days. Others have said the same. 2011 the place was hopping, from there on it’s been a steadily increasing level of indifference and boredom. Illinois is even more fun before games because the fans are resigned to the loveable loser status and when I was there Lovie was a celebrity. It was a good time.

Memorial stadium and it’s surroundings on Saturday are like going to a funeral for a 98 year old guy who no one really knows, but everyone feels obligated to be there for because he was a deacon in the church from 1972-1976. No one wants to be there but they just have to be.

I was there in ‘11, ‘13, ‘15, ‘17, and ‘19. I can tell you for certain that there is no football atmosphere on game days. Others have said the same. 2011 the place was hopping, from there on it’s been a steadily increasing level of indifference and boredom. Illinois is even more fun before games because the fans are resigned to the loveable loser status and when I was there Lovie was a celebrity. It was a good time.

Memorial stadium and it’s surroundings on Saturday are like going to a funeral for a 98 year old guy who no one really knows, but everyone feels obligated to be there for because he was a deacon in the church from 1972-1976. No one wants to be there but they just have to be.
This analogy is as good as my analogy last week of Nebraska being the old lady at the bar who still thinks she is the hot young lady at the bar. 98 year old funeral. Laughing.

This analogy is as good as my analogy last week of Nebraska being the old lady at the bar who still thinks she is the hot young lady at the bar. 98 year old funeral. Laughing.
You've been to an Illini game? No, only the band has fun. And they actually do and are pretty good.

They suck at playing defense and special teams. Period. They also have a coach that makes bad in-game decisions, throws people under the bus, and blames people. He also says really weird stuff, publicly.

I hope Martinez has a great year at KSU. He seems like a good kid.
Even their hype videos are strange, not filling you with excitement, instead a quasi-military "look how tough we are" videos predicting success before they have achieved it. Can anyone forget the amphibious invasion or the Blacksmith video "forging the team". Kirk got a free pass his first couple of years because fans could see improvement and could see the players played hard. Nebraska fans want to skip that and win immediately. Frost fed into that his first year by predicting his team playing for conference championships and more. Talk is cheap if you can't back it up. Hell, shoot for beating your "non-rivals" like Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota once in a while. Don't be surprised if the Dakota team gives Nebby a battle as they look ahead to the Oklahoma game.

Au contraire say I. Nebraska will eventually get it right. I can't imagine how obno their fans will be. I'll likely be six feet under and won't care.

How long did it take Bama to replace Bear Bryant? 30 years to find Nick Saban. But in those 30 years they never gave up the desire to reach the pinnacle again. And, Nebraska won't either, they've had too much success and whatever it takes, they'll get back up there.
From Bear Bryant to Nick Saban they had Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Gene Stallings, Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Shula and Joe Kines. Curry, Stallings and DuBose all won SEC championships. Stallings won a national championship.
- Perkins was 32-15 and went to three bowl games in 4 years.
- Curry was 26-11 and went to a bowl game in all 3 of his years.
- Stallings was 70-16 and went to a bowl game in 6 of his 7 seasons (wasn't eligible for one due to NCAA violations; also had to forfeit games in a different season due to NCAA violations).
- DuBose was 24-23 only making 2 bowl games in his 4 seasons although one was a national championship loss.
- Francione was 17-8 in two seaons making one bowl appearance and being ineligible in his second season due to NCAA violations.
- Shula was 26-23 in most of four seasons with two of his seasons marred by NCAA violations.
- Kines was 0-1 taking over for Shula for the Independence Bowl.

While there were some lean years and some vacated wins, they were at the pinnacle between Bryant and Saban.

This is where you're falling in with the nebraska fan delusion. That history isn't relevant to today's recruits unless they're maybe a child of a former player, nebraska resident, etc. And those are few and far between.

You really think some kid in Florida or Ohio is going to care about a championship that happened 26 years ago? No. But they will care about the laughing stock that they've become in the last 10 years. It's a clown show.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern aren't going to win national titles, but they also haven't been the monumental embarrassment and complete joke that nebraska has been, either. All of those teams also have locations with better environments than Lincoln by leaps and bounds.
Not sure I want to perpetuate this post. I can see it has you a bit riled. But before I leave just a few points. I have never been to a Nebraska game in Lincoln. No desire although Lincoln is a nice town. They do boast like 20 years? of sellouts which anyone would have to admit is impressive. Yes they are not doing it so easily in recent years. Yes they have been one of the most negatively talked about teams during the Frost years. They just know how to lose. Yes they will never recruit like they did in the Osbourne years and yes they will probably never win another National Championship and yes their fan base is probably a bit old and difficult to get excited (mad yes) excited no
On the other hand Iowa fans are becoming a bit old. While football still brings excitement Carver is far less exciting. Not a real tough place to play. Actually Nebraska has become a much more tough venue although Hoiberg needs to start winning. I think during the good years we just let money talk and the older fans got the better seats and we just didn't do a great job of marketing to youth. A lot of the fans today were the Knothole fans of the 60s.
Bottom line I don't like Nebraska and I hope Frost stays, but Nebraska with the right coach is quite capable of being as competitive as anyone in the Big Ten with the exception of Ohio State and Michigan.

Latest posts