WR

clim3

What the heck are we going to do ? Any young db we could switch over? Might be a lot of 3TE sets this year. Losing Jones as a returner and wr really hurts

Way to early to panic about receivers. Iowa has a lot of talented receivers that can play. The problem is getting a QB that can throw it to them.....Loved Jones, but in terms of college football, he's the enemy now, he's not coming back and he's a damm Boilermaker now. Best of luck against everyone else but hope he regrets his decision.

The receivers aren't the problem, the QB is. More talent at receiver is always great, but if the QB sucks in this scheme even a five star is going to look average at best. Go look at Tyquan Thornton at Baylor last year for an example of what an exemplary WR can do with a bad QB in a spread scheme, and then imagine how little he could do with Petras at QB. If Petras can finally figure it out the WRs will look good.

Since last season, we are down:

Lockett
Hutson
Jones
Tracy
Vines (out until mid season)
And we still haven't seen Johnson or Brecht (apparently they are going to start practicing next week)

This position is by far our most questionable. I am much more confident in QB position than WR. If those 2 sophs are not available, we are talking 2016 all over again.

Lockett
Hutson
Jones
Tracy
And we still haven't seen Johnson or Brecht (apparently they are going to start practicing next week)

This position is by far our most questionable. I am much more confident in QB position than WR. If those 2 sophs are not available, we are talking 2016 all over again.
Same feeling here. m Not feeling too good about this season. We will be facing loaded d and better have a plan or it’s going to be ugly

Lockett
Hutson
Jones
Tracy

I am very confident the QB position will be a problem.

Even though the criticism of Goodson was warranted, he could work out of the slot and was second on the team in receptions. Can you get that out of Gavin or any of the other runningbacks? IMO, you can work around it if Bruce, Ragini and the TE(s) stay healthy.

Even though the criticism of Goodson was warranted, he could work out of the slot and was second on the team in receptions. Can you get that out of Gavin or any of the other runningbacks? IMO, you can work around it if Bruce, Ragini and the TE(s) stay healthy.

Agreed, but big if. Another big if...if Johnson and Brecht can stay healthy, I will feel a lot better about the position.

Lockett
Hutson
Jones
Tracy

I forgot to mention Ritter

I heard the 3rd TE was looking good at the open practice today. Maybe it's time for Iowa to go with the 3 TE set, all the time.

To compound to the problem, the big boys are back on our schedule this year. Fortunately the powers that be have scheduled weaker teams to start the season with three gimme’s and one slightly questionable game with ISU. So likely four wins there, now just three more wins for our 7-5 season. Anything more than that will be a reflection of our defense.

Unless our QB awakens from his two year coma, don’t expect too much on offense. We did lose an All American on the offensive line (those guys aren’t a dime a dozen). Also an elusive running back in Goodson. I know Goodson hesitated a lot in the backfield but when your line sucks and you look up and see 300 lb defensive linemen coming in on top of you, you might hesitate before trying to run through a brick wall.

I watched Kirk’s kids day interview. He is starting to look old and thin.

Best thing that Petras could have learned at the QB camp is to get the ball out of your hand as soon as possible. He is not elusive so he can’t stand back and search the field or else he is going to be lying on his back. How many strong arm QB’s have we seen at Iowa who didn’t know how to put a little air under ball with touch and put it right into bread basket of our receivers (Jake from All state).

One more question is who are going to be the stars on this team? Who stands out at this time from last year other than a few defensive players? Someone will need to come out from the shadows and really impress………. Especially on offense.

How come Kelton Copeland never takes any heat? Have we had a great WR corp since he arrived?
Because Ken O'Keefe couldn't coach a QB to save his life. Just remember, accuracy "wasn't something we worked on" while Nate was here. Imagine not addressing you QB's most glaring weakness in three years as a starter. Not that Brian will be any better.

To compound to the problem, the big boys are back on our schedule this year. Fortunately the powers that be have scheduled weaker teams to start the season with three gimme’s and one slightly questionable game with ISU. So likely four wins there, now just three more wins for our 7-5 season. Anything more than that will be a reflection of our defense.

Unless our QB awakens from his two year coma, don’t expect too much on offense. We did lose an All American on the offensive line (those guys aren’t a dime a dozen). Also an elusive running back in Goodson. I know Goodson hesitated a lot in the backfield but when your line sucks and you look up and see 300 lb defensive linemen coming in on top of you, you might hesitate before trying to run through a brick wall.

I watched Kirk’s kids day interview. He is starting to look old and thin.

Best thing that Petras could have learned at the QB camp is to get the ball out of your hand as soon as possible. He is not elusive so he can’t stand back and search the field or else he is going to be lying on his back. How many strong arm QB’s have we seen at Iowa who didn’t know how to put a little air under ball with touch and put it right into bread basket of our receivers (Jake from All state).

One more question is who are going to be the stars on this team? Who stands out at this time from last year other than a few defensive players? Someone will need to come out from the shadows and really impress………. Especially on offense.
1660517864109.png
The Mannings have worked hard on the form in the off season. Of course, we could have Joe Montana back there, but if the line does not give him time....we also need that that O-Line to look like it is not riding the short bus.

Was there yesterday. There was not a unit walking out of there where I was concerned at this point. Makes the anticipation grow. And this was with still several players out.
A few offensive plays where deep sideline was 1on1 - a Keegan Johnson type missing was a difference maker. Was impressed with Elsbury at left guard. Thought he played like a man fighting for a job.
Colby looked good most times at RT. Lachey looks 2" taller - should be tougher red zone matchup w/ him and LaPorta.

Defense was itself after offense had 2 good drives to start day. VanNess, Shannon, Campbell, Jacobs, Benson, Merriweather, Moss, etc. - lots of experience and it showed. Would not want to be an opposing staff trying to deal with them.

All areas have dudes that are very physically impressive when you get up close.
3 weeks, Go Hawks!!

Latest posts