Kakert previews Iowa football

Funny, one of the responses to the story touted Nebraska to "finally beat Iowa and win the West", the comments after were just as funny supporting this theory. Dream Big Nebraska! 30 transfers can't be wrong. Right?
Yeah I dont see Nebraska beating Iowa and I also don’t see Iowa losing to Illinois. Although I like the idea of getting revenge on Michigan, I just don’t see that happening either.

Yeah I dont see Nebraska beating Iowa and I also don’t see Iowa losing to Illinois. Although I like the idea of getting revenge on Michigan, I just don’t see that happening either.
Yeah some folks are predicting that we beat Michigan and lose to IL because it's a 'sandwich' game of sorts with it being between Michigan and OSU. However we have the bye week after the IL game so I'm not sure it's a classic 'sandwich' game in that regard.

I don't think we'll be that down that we lose to IL. I mean hell we beat em with Petras throwing two picks early on and getting down 14-3 or whatever it was. I think we'll take care of business against IL. Michigan and OSU will be tough though I could see us losing both of those

Yeah some folks are predicting that we beat Michigan and lose to IL because it's a 'sandwich' game of sorts with it being between Michigan and OSU. However we have the bye week after the IL game so I'm not sure it's a classic 'sandwich' game in that regard.

I don't think we'll be that down that we lose to IL. I mean hell we beat em with Petras throwing two picks early on and getting down 14-3 or whatever it was. I think we'll take care of business against IL. Michigan and OSU will be tough though I could see us losing both of those
OSU will be a weird one (we ain't winning it obviously), both teams are coming off byes.

Some link I was reading had Iowa's % chance of winning @ O$U at 5%.
That’s sad, yet believable unless one of our running backs blows up and we see some unexpected and dramatic improvement at the QB position. I think between the two options I would put my money on one of the running backs. Of course it sounds like one of our younger Qb’s has some Stanzi in him.

Last edited:
Even though expectations aren’t real high for the football team, this off season seems like it’s been two years.

Can’t help but wonder if this isn’t going to be Brian’s last season at OC if he doesn’t show dramatic improvement. Why does it seem like it might not be much of a stretch to hear this coming out of Brian’s mouth to his dad; “Don’t blame me for the QB play and lack of offense. I’m not the effing QB coach.” Ok son I will ask him to step down but this is gonna be your last chance and there will be no excuses.

It is very unusual for Iowa to take a huge loss, even to a team as good as OSU will be this year. The D doesn't give up chunk plays and turns the ball over. They are also stingy in the red zone. The offense values ball control, ball security, and great punting! Iowa is good at getting teams to play its style. Feels like a 23-10 type loss.

Can’t help but wonder if this isn’t going to be Brian’s last season at OC if he doesn’t show dramatic improvement. Why does it seem like it might not be much of a stretch to hear this coming out of Brian’s mouth to his dad; “Don’t blame me for the QB play and lack of offense. I’m not the effing QB coach.” Ok son I will ask him to step down but this is gonna be your last chance and there will be no excuses.
I would not expect dramatic improvement or for this to be his last season as OC.

I would not expect dramatic improvement or for this to be his last season as OC.
Agreed,
but we can be hopeful either way. I also agree with your assessment of not expecting dramatic improvement. Still, we can hope.

I do think the offense will be better. Partially because it can't be much worse. But, more that my eyes did see spurts of competency out of the offense last year, they just could not maintain drives. I think the OL will be more consistent and the running game will be better with bigger backs who don't lose yards. Goodson was a very talented back, but he lost yards too often, and Iowa's offense was not good enough to overcome 2nd and 13. Petras has weapons and an arm and I think will be much more effective with a running game that is consistent and downhill.

If Iowa can literally be average on offense. Seriously, like 60th in the country, this team could be really good.

If
I do think the offense will be better. Partially because it can't be much worse. But, more that my eyes did see spurts of competency out of the offense last year, they just could not maintain drives. I think the OL will be more consistent and the running game will be better with bigger backs who don't lose yards. Goodson was a very talented back, but he lost yards too often, and Iowa's offense was not good enough to overcome 2nd and 13. Petras has weapons and an arm and I think will be much more effective with a running game that is consistent and downhill.

If Iowa can literally be average on offense. Seriously, like 60th in the country, this team could be really good.

It is sad when we have to hope for being in the top sixty on offense. Our facilities are awesome, our fan base is awesome, our head coach has been in the top ten in salary several years and in the top twenty forever.

There really isn’t an excuse other than the coaching mindset and philosophy on offense. We have a tendency as fans to point fingers at our offensive coordinators like we did Davis. Davis ain’t here anymore.

If Iowa went to a spread offense and started to air things out then the recruits who have those abilities would be more interested in playing for Iowa. They would come play for a Big Ten school. Great facility, Great fan base, but a stagnant extremely conservative offensive scheme.

I get what you are saying because even finishing sixtieth is an improvement, yet it is so underwhelming and boring and sometimes painful to watch.

Kirk could retire tomorrow and ride off into the sunset a very, very, wealthy man. He has utterly nothing to lose by experimenting with his offense. Hell his defense will keep him in games regardless of how hapless his offense is. WE ALL KNOW THAT FOR A FACT.

So what gives?????

Latest posts