B1G Media Day Thoughts

Justin Britt and Jackson Ritter out for the season.

Logan Lee is in a battle for the starting center spot(can't remember the other guy's name). The loser of that will likely still see playing time.

Brody Brecht is going to see the field this season. He will have to hold off that baseball decision for at least another year.

Logan Lee is in a battle for the starting center spot(can't remember the other guy's name). The loser of that will likely still see playing time.

Brody Brecht is going to see the field this season. He will have to hold off that baseball decision for at least another year.
Logan Jones. Lee is the starting DT

I am pretty excited about Brody Brecht. Size, speed, and skill. Seems like another Jeff Samardzija.

I am pretty excited about Brody Brecht. Size, speed, and skill. Seems like another Jeff Samardzija.
Two sport star who is good enough to be a HOF caliber player in either MLB or NFL from what I've heard. I think he's another Bo Jackson.

That is a lot of transfers to work into your "culture". You combine that with the players that were already there and, if they get passed by these transfers, that could throw that culture out the window. I don't know the exact numbers but when you have as many leave your program as they did, that can't be a good sign.
It was actually 15 transfers, the rest were freshman scholarship and walk-ons. Still a lot though.

Brecht isn’t gonna have much of a decision. He’s got a ton of control problems and it’s hurting him.

He got away with it in high school because high school hitters have zero plate discipline. He even mentioned it in an interview how hard it’s been for him to get it squared away transitioning to college. Lots of walks and wild pitches.

Guys in the minors and college who can hit 98 are a dime a dozen but if you can’t throw strikes you ain’t gonna be playing long.

From a purely financial decision what he should’ve done was try to go early in the draft and get a metric assload of guaranteed money. Even if he bounced around the minors for a few years like Ricky Vaughn he’d at least have enough cash to set him up for life.

But he wanted to make a go at football and I get it.

Did not realize we hired a de facto QB coach. So BF is strictly calling plays and overseeing things. He is still being groomed for the HC job.

Bit I like the QB coach hire.

Most people don't want to F up. Maybe you scream a little bit the first few days, scare the dudes a little bit, get their attention, but anyone who has ascended to the level of playing ball at a school the caliber of Iowa probably has a pretty big internal motor. Literally no amount of external criticism can outweigh how shitty a guy will feel with himself for missing the key block that causes his QB to get hit and fumble or the RB to get stopped in the backfield on 3rd and inches. That guy will know he let his teammates down as well. You don't need to go be an asshole 2 inches from his face.
You get in a guy's face when he's not engaged or not giving 100%...and you do it sparingly. Routinely spitting profanity in your players' faces for a mistake or correction is completely ineffective.

You get in a guy's face when he's not engaged or not giving 100%...and you do it sparingly. Routinely spitting profanity in your players' faces for a mistake or correction is completely ineffective.
I coach high school guys at the varsity level, not college, FWIW.

When I have anyone who's dogging it during practice and doesn't get the hint after a couple warnings, I tell him to either go sit in the dugout or leave and I very conspicuously grab a JV player and throw him in his spot. No yelling.

One of two things happens...he either gets the message and starts playing ball, or he gets mad and checks out. Which I'm fine with. I don't want guys like that playing anyway, and by the time they hit the varsity HS level I can't waste my 2 hours of practice time trying to give him motivational therapy. 80% of my team is out for either track, golf, or soccer which are all overlapped on baseball, so I get about a week and a half tops of practices with everyone there. They either have it or they don't and I let them decide.

Another thing I've noticed is that, especially with high school guys, you can't really even get in their face like coaches used to do when we played sports. They'll just quit. There's too many easy things to do like work at HyVee or play video games in the air conditioning...they'll just say, "Hell with this, I'm out."

Had one kid this season who was a junior this year. Terrible ball player, but very nice kid. Never had an issue with him or any whininess whatsoever. First game rolled around and he was in the JV lineup because we have super low numbers, played the whole game, and then during the varsity game I look around and he's nowhere to be found. Never came back to practice so I let my AD know. I asked a few more days later and I guess when our AD talked to him in the hall he said he quit because he wasn't playing varsity. He thought because he was a junior that upper classmen automatically play varsity, and he was real mad that there were a bunch of freshman playing ahead of him. He never answered my calls...part of me thinks maybe since this kid is not an athlete and never played any other sports, that maybe he innocently assumed varsity time goes by seniority and got mad. The other part of me thinks maybe he just 1) doesn't want to put the work in to get better (to be honest it was too late for him anyway), and 2) doesn't respect the work other people put in.

All I know is it's definitely different now than it was when we were kids. Seems like the attitude is that if a kid isn't good enough he'll just quit because it's easier instead of working on his game.

I coach high school guys at the varsity level, not college, FWIW.

When I have anyone who's dogging it during practice and doesn't get the hint after a couple warnings, I tell him to either go sit in the dugout or leave and I very conspicuously grab a JV player and throw him in his spot. No yelling.

One of two things happens...he either gets the message and starts playing ball, or he gets mad and checks out. Which I'm fine with. I don't want guys like that playing anyway, and by the time they hit the varsity HS level I can't waste my 2 hours of practice time trying to give him motivational therapy. 80% of my team is out for either track, golf, or soccer which are all overlapped on baseball, so I get about a week and a half tops of practices with everyone there. They either have it or they don't and I let them decide.

Another thing I've noticed is that, especially with high school guys, you can't really even get in their face like coaches used to do when we played sports. They'll just quit. There's too many easy things to do like work at HyVee or play video games in the air conditioning...they'll just say, "Hell with this, I'm out."

Had one kid this season who was a junior this year. Terrible ball player, but very nice kid. Never had an issue with him or any whininess whatsoever. First game rolled around and he was in the JV lineup because we have super low numbers, played the whole game, and then during the varsity game I look around and he's nowhere to be found. Never came back to practice so I let my AD know. I asked a few more days later and I guess when our AD talked to him in the hall he said he quit because he wasn't playing varsity. He thought because he was a junior that upper classmen automatically play varsity, and he was real mad that there were a bunch of freshman playing ahead of him. He never answered my calls...part of me thinks maybe since this kid is not an athlete and never played any other sports, that maybe he innocently assumed varsity time goes by seniority and got mad. The other part of me thinks maybe he just 1) doesn't want to put the work in to get better (to be honest it was too late for him anyway), and 2) doesn't respect the work other people put in.

All I know is it's definitely different now than it was when we were kids. Seems like the attitude is that if a kid isn't good enough he'll just quit because it's easier instead of working on his game.

I still remember a moment in 7th grade FB. I was being a wimp, complaining about my leg hurting, basically I just wanted a break from running on a hot day. The coach just looked at me for a beat, said "Okay", and directed me to the sideline and called someone else to take my place. I sat on that sideline for the rest of practice. I never made that mistake again.

I read an article from a Husker news guy jumping on Frost for walking to the podium and standing there silently for 5 seconds. He prepared no opening statement, not even a welcome or thanks or a joke. Just stood there and finally he said he was ready for any questions. The guy is a dick personally for sure, but the thing I have never understood about him is how he rose this far with absolutely no charisma. Who is inspired by this guy? You can make fun of Row Row Row the Boat, or KF or Bert or whomever, but most of the coaches in the Big have some redeeming qualities as speakers and motivators. Frost has none. Type of guy if you saw at a happy hour you would duck and go the other way for fear of being bored to death.

I still remember a moment in 7th grade FB. I was being a wimp, complaining about my leg hurting, basically I just wanted a break from running on a hot day. The coach just looked at me for a beat, said "Okay", and directed me to the sideline and called someone else to take my place. I sat on that sideline for the rest of practice. I never made that mistake again.
My HS baseball coach had a rule about no sleeping on the bus to games. You could sleep as much as you want on the way home but not on the way there.

I remember it was one of those 100+ days in June and the ride was like an hour and a half ordeal to like Pocahontas or something. Slept most of the way. Like a dumbass. My coach knew it too.

No idea the situation anymore, but I was on first and got a steal sign. Got a HORRIBLE jump, and half way to second I did one of those things where you're momentum gets out in front of your feet, and your arms start flailing while you try to catch up, and then I nose dived/face planted right in the baseline like an idiot. I remember looking up as the throw got to second, and I was so far out in no man's land that the 2B had to jog a pretty good distance to tag me out.

Never got one word from my coach as I got back to the dugout, but I remember him calling a JV player out of the bleachers to take my spot. That sunk in. I'm 41 years old and I remember every detail of the whole thing.

OL is not worse than last year by a long ways. They'll be ok.

A couple guys who I know from my HS coaching circle know Barnett personally and they say he's the real deal Holyfield. Sounds like he's a Lexus upgrade from a Pinto compared to Tim Polasek.
I hope the line does well this year. That can make a huge difference, given our experience on defense. If we can run the ball (dammit) and give Spencer more than a millisecond to throw, things might look substantially better. I guess it remains to be seen but I'm hopeful.

For the first three seasons Frost spent all of his pressers complaining about the shitty culture he inherited from Riley and how it was all his fault that Nebbie was still losing. He lost that nugget last season, so he has moved on to bad luck as the reason Nebbie loses. Seriously, he argued that a lot. Bad luck. He has built a shitty culture from the get go. Actually, several shitty cultures because this team changes identities every season, but the one thing that is constant is lack of discipline, composure and football IQ. That is all on the coach. He should be worried. Fixing that sort of cultural issue with half of your team being brand new is a hell of a gamble.
Frost is footballs' Steve Alford. Period.

Too many who attempt to coach think they can be the next Mike Ditka or George Allen. Doesn't work that way at all, and certainly not today.

I read an article from a Husker news guy jumping on Frost for walking to the podium and standing there silently for 5 seconds. He prepared no opening statement, not even a welcome or thanks or a joke. Just stood there and finally he said he was ready for any questions. The guy is a dick personally for sure, but the thing I have never understood about him is how he rose this far with absolutely no charisma. Who is inspired by this guy? You can make fun of Row Row Row the Boat, or KF or Bert or whomever, but most of the coaches in the Big have some redeeming qualities as speakers and motivators. Frost has none. Type of guy if you saw at a happy hour you would duck and go the other way for fear of being bored to death.

On the flip side, Trev Alberts seems to have some charisma. I could see Frost totally tanking this year, and Alberts making a smart hire that eventually brings Nebraska up to the Iowa/Wisconsin/NW level

On the flip side, Trev Alberts seems to have some charisma. I could see Frost totally tanking this year, and Alberts making a smart hire that eventually brings Nebraska up to the Iowa/Wisconsin/NW level
I can also see Alberts making the ultimate power play and going full Barry Alvarez.