Welp...we're officially on O$U's radar

Who cares who started for Ohio? We had Matt Rodgers!

I was born in the '70's and I think that during my lifetime Ohio has only lost to Iowa twice in C-bus. One was the Gang Lu game and one was the game where Marv Cook dragged 17 Buckeyes into the endzone on a play that nearly killed Jim Zabel.
So after '87, Hawks have only beat them once (home or away) while wearing traditional Tiger Hawk helmets - 2004. I think of the wins starting in 87 this way.

87 - Marv Cook game
91 - Alan Cross game (Gang Lu)
04 - Sam Brownlee game
17 - Polecat

Iowa should have beat them here as well....absolutely one of the biggest kick to the nuts ever.....complete Fluke Ohio St win.....and yet like Mush Mouth says Ohio St does it to Iowa one more time.

Iowa should have beat them here as well....absolutely one of the biggest kick to the nuts ever.....complete Fluke Ohio St win.....and yet like Mush Mouth says Ohio St does it to Iowa one more time.

Rot in Hell, you Filthy Bastards

Rot in Hell, you Filthy Bastards
It still burns me to this day. All we had to do, before the half, was just bat the ball down....not go for the pick and the half is over. There was also an early fumble in the first half where we were rolling down field. Self-inflicted. Ohio St had zero business winning that game.

Is this the TD you are referring to, Ken

Marv tore thru the last defenders like a fire hose thru tissue paper

Zabel went Nuts, along with Hawkeye fans WorldWide

:cool:
I remember that play well and it's one of my favorite Zabel calls. It's also the play that got Earl Bruce fired.

I do remember that Bo Pelini was in on the tackle/missed tackle as Marv Cook went in the end zone.

I can't remember exactly why, but that game wasn't televised where I lived so you had to listen to it on the radio. Listening to Zabel you thought Hartlieb threw a Hail Mary pass to Cook in the end zone for the touchdown. Until watching the local news later that night that you see he caught it at the 10 and then scored.

Is this the TD you are referring to, Ken

Marv tore thru the last defenders like a fire hose thru tissue paper

Zabel went Nuts, along with Hawkeye fans WorldWide

:cool:

Yes, that's the play. Best play in Iowa football in my life. I wonder if Kurt will ever win a game in C-bus. This year may be his last shot. We do usually play them close up there and with as aggressive as Kurt gets, particularly late in games, maybe this will be the year.

From the 1991 Roster

4Kirk Herbstreit Ohio StateKirk HerbstreitH, QB8/19/1969Centerville, OHCenterville6'2"213

K. Graham was the QB

He was 8-24 for the game

Total yards gained for the game:

Hawks: 440
Buckeyes: 221

Probably hurt buckeye feelings all around being humiliated at the Shoe.
brutal place to play, especially at night, with the radical fans stomping their
feet, making the place literally rumble and shake

Ohio State offers 5 top 2019 prospects - Land-Grant Holy Land360 × 270

I remember Kent Graham as a Giant and a Steeler more than I do as a Buckeye. Those 91-94 Buckeye teams all blur together in my head.

I can't remember exactly why, but that game wasn't televised where I lived so you had to listen to it on the radio. Listening to Zabel you thought Hartlieb threw a Hail Mary pass to Cook in the end zone for the touchdown. Until watching the local news later that night that you see he caught it at the 10 and then scored.
I just remember watching it live that it seemed like the play lasted 2 minutes.

Yes, that's the play. Best play in Iowa football in my life. I wonder if Kurt will ever win a game in C-bus. This year may be his last shot. We do usually play them close up there and with as aggressive as Kurt gets, particularly late in games, maybe this will be the year.
Whos Kurt?

I've seen Iowa play at C-Bus twice.

2005: 6-31. The "Tate threw a fit" game. Ouch. Never in it. Ugly, but Hiney-gate rocked.

2009: 24-27 OT game. DDoouubbllee OOuucchh. Tied score...Hawks had the ball on their 38, a minute remaining, one TO left, momentum, only needing a FG to win it...and KF sat on the damn ball, playing for OT...on the road...with the B1G crown on the line. I was vocally upset (very), to the delight of the crowd around me.

Last edited:
I heard a story once about when they sold the turf at Kinnick, one fan bought a square of it and resold it as the piece of turf where Marv Cook scored the game winning TD against OSU. There's one problem with that...:oops:

I've seen Iowa play at C-Bus twice.

2005: 6-31. The "Tate threw a fit" game. Ouch. Never in it. Ugly, but Hiney-gate rocked.

2009: 24-27 OT game. DDoouubbllee OOuucchh. Tied score...Hawks had the ball on their 38, a minute remaining, one TO left, momentum, only needing a FG to win it...and KF sat on the damn ball, playing for OT...on the road...with the B1G crown on the line. I was vocally upset (very), to the delight of the crowd around me.

Time management was painful

Time management was painful
IMO it was way beyond that. There was a conscience decision NOT to try to the win the game because "Vandenberg" was a "new" starter. BS. He played well enough to keep us in the game. And if he had thrown an INT at the end, who cares. Tressel-ball would have prevailed anyway.

Remember, we were down by 14. Then DJK returned a KO for about 98+ yards, then McNutt scorched his guy for a TD late in the 4th. The Shoe was quiet and the momentum had clearly switched to Iowa.

It was a chicken-shit decision. Then and now.

Last edited:

Latest posts