Saban Calls Out NIL Abuse

NorthKCHawk

Shocker. The guy who has been winning the game for the last decade plus doesn't like it when the rules shift dramatically. That said, pretty ballsy to be calling out specific program by name, especially someone within his conference. And, while he identifies the problem, I don't see him suggesting any solutions.

Shocker. The guy who has been winning the game for the last decade plus doesn't like it when the rules shift dramatically. That said, pretty ballsy to be calling out specific program by name, especially someone within his conference. And, while he identifies the problem, I don't see him suggesting any solutions.

This is gonna get interesting...Fisher is having none of it.

If you read what Saban said, he publicly accused another coach in his conference of Level 1 NCAA violations, and did so casually. NIL or not, schools cannot be involved in compensating athletes under current rules. Saban said A&M did just that.

Now, we all know what Saban meant, and hell, who knows how separate the booster bag men are from the coaching staff, but the statement is crazy.

Can you imagine 2 years ago if KF announced publicly that he knows that Nebraska "bought" every recruit in the class? The internet would have broken.

Sounds like our politicians today. Every politician can point out a problem but only a couple of them can propose any realistic solutions to the problem.

If you read what Saban said, he publicly accused another coach in his conference of Level 1 NCAA violations, and did so casually. NIL or not, schools cannot be involved in compensating athletes under current rules. Saban said A&M did just that.

Now, we all know what Saban meant, and hell, who knows how separate the booster bag men are from the coaching staff, but the statement is crazy.

Can you imagine 2 years ago if KF announced publicly that he knows that Nebraska "bought" every recruit in the class? The internet would have broken.

Cats way outta the bag on all this now. College teams are all now vying to become the Yankees. Best team money can buy.

I believe when Saban first took over the Alabama program that likely there were boosters who were influencing recruits. However after the ball got rolling I think he didn’t need to go that route anymore.

I’ve heard him get choked up like Kirk does when talking about his players.

Just because he knows how to coach and win at an excellent level doesn’t mean the guy is a jerk.

I wish we could have such an experience. Just once in my lifetime. won’t happen under the current regime. Good coach, but just won’t ever be able to put together the recruits and coaching expertise that is necessary to ever win just once at a Saban level. Not if he coached another 15 years.

I can’t take from Kirk his ability to be a solid and consistent head coach. What has made him so consistent also turned out to be his worst enemy. Conservative to the point he could not let go of his control of the altra conservative offensive mindset. Worked well for his career at Iowa, yet limited him.

Last edited:
I believe when Saban first took over the Alabama program that likely there were boosters who were influencing recruits. However after the ball got rolling I think he didn’t need to go that route anymore.

I’ve heard him get choked up like Kirk does when talking about his players.

Just because he knows how to coach and win at an excellent level doesn’t mean the guy is a jerk.

I wish we could have such an experience. Just once in my lifetime. won’t happen under the current regime. Good coach, but just won’t ever be able to put together the recruits and coaching expertise that is necessary to ever win just once at a Saban level. Not if he coached another 15 years.

I can’t take from Kirk his ability to be a solid and consistent head coach. What has made him so consistent also turned out to be his worst enemy. Conservative to the point he could not let go of his control of the altra conservative offensive mindset. Worked well for his career at Iowa, yet limited him.
Jimbo Fisher would beg to differ with you. :)

Saban, and others, are saying the combination of NIL + transfer portal is not sustainable.
They are correct.
What is the solution?

It is great because there are not ex recruits basically saying that everyone in the SEC pays for visits and to sign. We all knew that, but I hope more kids come forward and Saban's crocodile tears are exposed. They all cheat.

Saban, and others, are saying the combination of NIL + transfer portal is not sustainable.
They are correct.
What is the solution?
Every College participates in an annual auction draft of all eligible players. That way all the compensation is tracked and taxed and the best programs still get the best players.

They just need to ban any contact with any boosters, or discussion with anyone, of NIL until the letter of intent is signed. I know that would be very hard to enforce, but at least make the rule. NIL should not be a direct recruiting tool. Make the rule!

They just need to ban any contact with any boosters, or discussion with anyone, of NIL until the letter of intent is signed. I know that would be very hard to enforce, but at least make the rule. NIL should not be a direct recruiting tool. Make the rule!
You said you're a lawyer but I'm starting to have my doubts.

For starters that's not just "very hard to enforce," it'd be literally impossible to enforce. All that needs to happen is a layer of middlemen to do the discussion which was exactly the same thing that happened when making money was illegal. You would be creating one the exact same problems that NIL was meant to correct.

Second, so we're supposed to say to prospective players, "You can make money, but until you sign your life away you're not allowed to know how much money you'll make, who it may or may not come from, or whether you'll make any money or not?" That's just so absurd I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Do you even think this stuff through before you post it? I hope you're not a trial guy. Easements and wills seem to be your speed.

I am a trial lawyer. I am a partner in one of the largest firms in the country. My clients pay me $595 an hour to explain the law to them. I would charge you double because it would take me twice as long to get you to understand how to have a civil dialogue instead of just being an asshole constantly. I know you are not being paid to be a moderator here (and I still think the site is overpaying), but are your marching orders from the owners to be such a jerk that Hawkeye fans who have been a regular contributor for many years stop coming here?

I come to this site to discuss topics about Iowa athletics, not to be oddly hounded by a bitter and emboldened malcontent.

I am a trial lawyer. I am a partner in one of the largest firms in the country. My clients pay me $595 an hour to explain the law to them. I would charge you double because it would take me twice as long to get you to understand how to have a civil dialogue instead of just being an asshole constantly. I know you are not being paid to be a moderator here (and I still think the site is overpaying), but are your marching orders from the owners to be such a jerk that Hawkeye fans who have been a regular contributor for many years stop coming here?

I come to this site to discuss topics about Iowa athletics, not to be oddly hounded by a bitter and emboldened malcontent.

What the hell are you trying for $595 an hour, slip and falls and car accidents on the defense side?

Well. That was clearly stated. Good for you.