Post Open Spring Practice HN Content

If anything at all happens with BF, he will, via KF, move on to another college or pro job. It will be a private conversation at home. KF will exert his considerable influence to assist BF in his job hunt. It will be ruled a professional advancement Publically. BF will not, unless there is a significant improvement in Iowa’s O, get anywhere near the head coach position at Iowa. The only other wild card would be the new charges released by former players directly leveled at BF. In the meantime, I am worried sick about our QB position for the 2022 season. Will be the difference between 7-5 or 8-3 and a 10-2 +. QB manager, ok. Accuracy absolutely necessary.
With BF that would be my dream scenario. Kirk helps Brian get another job either college or NFL and elevates Levar to OC, who in turn becomes heir-apparent after Barta and Kirk call it quits. Best of both worlds.

I bet 90% of the fan bases out there think they have an issue at QB. It is very rare these days that a very talented QB has a great season and comes back for another. Its college. Most QBs do not enjoy success in college and the ones that do, move on to the pros as soon as they can. It is a very tough position and it is the most visible when things go wrong. It is rarely all the QB's fault, and indeed at Iowa last year, our OL was well below par.

This board was never particularly complimentary of Stanley during his 3-year stint as a starter. Tate was criticized regularly (everyone seemed to love Ameristanzi and CJ for the most part).

To be clear, I agree Petras is not terrific. But, have some perspective. Most fan bases think the same thing about their QB. Looking around the conferences, how many schools would we absolutely trade QBs with and know we are getting something better?

I believe most here have some perspective. Most think he, (Petras), is below average. Maybe well below. I think Kirk would rather have a root canal done than replace his starting QB.

I believe most here have some perspective. Most think he, (Petras), is below average. Maybe well below. I think Kirk would rather have a root canal done than replace his starting QB.
He's done it three times previously. Notably he replace Rudock with CJ. Rudock ended up starting for Michigan and then having a stint in the league. So, its not like he hasn't made difficult decisions to replace a good QB with a better QB when the situation dictates.

I also believe this decision is much more on Brian and the offensive staff. If Brian went to KF and said we think we should make a switch, I doubt KF would overrule his coaches.

I am confident KF sees that Petras and the offense as we do, and they have been well below snuff the last two seasons. I think KF would welcome an upgrade at QB. Unfortunately, it seems that the two guys behind Petras are not an upgrade. Labas is unproven and it may be that Padilla is, well, proven. Either way, tie goes to the incumbent in these scenarios and between experience and mediocre talent and inexperienced and mediocre talent, might as well go with the guy who knows what he is doing.

And to be clear, I am not absolving the coaches here. But to me, the blame does not lie with the decision-making now, but rather the recruiting and development of the most important position on the field. That has to get much, much better.

We have had a championship level D, and very good talent at the WR/TE/RB/special teams. QB and OL are what are holding us back.

I bet 90% of the fan bases out there think they have an issue at QB. It is very rare these days that a very talented QB has a great season and comes back for another. Its college. Most QBs do not enjoy success in college and the ones that do, move on to the pros as soon as they can. It is a very tough position and it is the most visible when things go wrong. It is rarely all the QB's fault, and indeed at Iowa last year, our OL was well below par.

This board was never particularly complimentary of Stanley during his 3-year stint as a starter. Tate was criticized regularly (everyone seemed to love Ameristanzi and CJ for the most part).

To be clear, I agree Petras is not terrific. But, have some perspective. Most fan bases think the same thing about their QB. Looking around the conferences, how many schools would we absolutely trade QBs with and know we are getting something better?
I don't have to scour multiple conferences to find a better QB -- I'll stay in the BTen West and trade for Purdue's QB right now, and throw in an extra Hawkeye defensive back to sweeten the deal!

I tend to agree. Iowa won 10 games with a young o line and pretty sketchy Tackle play on both sides. Goodson is great in space but honestly I think we will be better in the running game with the two Williams RBs. We also had good but really young WRs.

Petras (as well as those behind him) are not great. I think that's more an issue of recruiting and coaching. Unless Labas sets the world on fire... I also didn't see that Padilla was exactly setting the world on fire last year. I also agree with those who say that Iowa's offense puts a lot on the QB to read defenses, and execute a predictable game plan against those defenses.

I am actually hawktimistic about this fall, given the fact that Iowa returns the most players in the Big Ten (except for tOSU). If the O line is quite improved, I think we see improvement in the passing game, too. Even with Petras (or whomever).

I mean, yes, Petras totally sucked at times, but against good D lines he had 0.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. Michigan's first round DE's destroyed our tackles.

I don't have to scour multiple conferences to find a better QB -- I'll stay in the BTen West and trade for Purdue's QB right now, and throw in an extra Hawkeye defensive back to sweeten the deal!
Agreed. But that is one out of 6. The rest in the West are trash. I would take OSU's QB pretty much every year. Beyond that, who else? Is Sean Clifford a clear upgrade? Eh?

Iowa can certainly do better at QB. I think we will see marginal improvement this year with better running and OL play, that should open up more play action.

Finding an above-average QB is a lot hard than people think. Its not just Iowa.

Thanks, Coach Grady!

I tend to agree. Iowa won 10 games with a young o line and pretty sketchy Tackle play on both sides. Goodson is great in space but honestly I think we will be better in the running game with the two Williams RBs. We also had good but really young WRs.

Petras (as well as those behind him) are not great. I think that's more an issue of recruiting and coaching. Unless Labas sets the world on fire... I also didn't see that Padilla was exactly setting the world on fire last year. I also agree with those who say that Iowa's offense puts a lot on the QB to read defenses, and execute a predictable game plan against those defenses.

I am actually hawktimistic about this fall, given the fact that Iowa returns the most players in the Big Ten (except for tOSU). If the O line is quite improved, I think we see improvement in the passing game, too. Even with Petras (or whomever).

I mean, yes, Petras totally sucked at times, but against good D lines he had 0.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. Michigan's first round DE's destroyed our tackles.
And Michigan took away Iowa's roll-outs as well. Every time Petras tried rolling out, there was a defender right in his face.

If anything at all happens with BF, he will, via KF, move on to another college or pro job. It will be a private conversation at home. KF will exert his considerable influence to assist BF in his job hunt. It will be ruled a professional advancement Publically. BF will not, unless there is a significant improvement in Iowa’s O, get anywhere near the head coach position at Iowa. The only other wild card would be the new charges released by former players directly leveled at BF. In the meantime, I am worried sick about our QB position for the 2022 season. Will be the difference between 7-5 or 8-3 and a 10-2 +. QB manager, ok. Accuracy absolutely necessary.

One problem KF has if he wants another OC is finding one who wants to be constrained in KF's offense and who knows the pro style offense with a fullback in use. Are there really a lot of those top OC's out there? One could say there are a few as even Bama and some top teams sort of runs a pro style with a tailback running power plays. But more and more teams are 5 wides or RPO heavy or air raid, whatever the hell that is, or a Mike Leach type .

Could it be that Petras has the arm but just gets more flustered than other qbs under pressure and he has reached more of the mental limit. I have observed that both Stanley and Petras have not seen some wide open receivers. I put that down to a qb who just doesnt 'see' the pass plays in their head while the play is under way or breaking down.
Hard to see the open receiver when you cannot see yourself dropping that pass directly in his arms. I think this is the issue. Skillset doesn't match the conditions.

I sure did think Stanley, Stanzi and Tate were all good QB's. All of em a couple rungs higher imo than what we are seeing today. Still love whomever puts on the uniform, won't badmouth Petras no matter what. Just call balls and strikes.

He's done it three times previously. Notably he replace Rudock with CJ. Rudock ended up starting for Michigan and then having a stint in the league. So, its not like he hasn't made difficult decisions to replace a good QB with a better QB when the situation dictates.

I also believe this decision is much more on Brian and the offensive staff. If Brian went to KF and said we think we should make a switch, I doubt KF would overrule his coaches.

I am confident KF sees that Petras and the offense as we do, and they have been well below snuff the last two seasons. I think KF would welcome an upgrade at QB. Unfortunately, it seems that the two guys behind Petras are not an upgrade. Labas is unproven and it may be that Padilla is, well, proven. Either way, tie goes to the incumbent in these scenarios and between experience and mediocre talent and inexperienced and mediocre talent, might as well go with the guy who knows what he is doing.
I think CJ and his father had a bit to do with the QB change. Remove this pressure and the other external pressures to change QB and it does not happen.

I think CJ and his father had a bit to do with the QB change. Remove this pressure and the other external pressures to change QB and it does not happen.
Hmmm, I agree that CJ had a lot to do with the change. His play spoke for itself. He was clearly better than Rudock. But his Dad? You think KF succumb to the pressure of a parent?

If so, you example makes no sense. Why didn't he succumb to the opposite pressure with Christensen? His dad had a bigger mouth and more street cred in the football world. Yet KF benched his kid.

No, I think KF will replace his starter if the backup is clearly better. Sometimes that decision has to be mushed into his face, but that is his standard. Once you win the job, you gotta clearly lose it to a better player.

If so, you example makes no sense. Why didn't he succumb to the opposite pressure with Christensen? His dad had a bigger mouth and more street cred in the football world. Yet KF benched his kid.
No way Christensen Sr had more street cred than the Beathards!!

Hmmm, I agree that CJ had a lot to do with the change. His play spoke for itself. He was clearly better than Rudock. But his Dad? You think KF succumb to the pressure of a parent?

No, I think KF will replace his starter if the backup is clearly better. Sometimes that decision has to be mushed into his face, but that is his standard. Once you win the job, you gotta clearly lose it to a better player.
Yes, was part of the news cycle back then.
I assume you are kidding. One Dad was an NFL journeyman QB. The other was country singer.

(I hear he did both kinds, country AND western. Name that movie)
CJ's grandfather legendary figure in the NFL. The Beathard's know alot more than country music.

I sure did think Stanley, Stanzi and Tate were all good QB's. All of em a couple rungs higher imo than what we are seeing today. Still love whomever puts on the uniform, won't badmouth Petras no matter what. Just call balls and strikes.
Great post. I hope Petras can pull it together this year with a better line, more downhill running backs, WRs that aren't freshmen, etc. I'll be cheering.

I think Iowa fans remember Stanley rather fondly, but man, if you go back and read what fans said about him... they wanted him pulled as well. The backup QB at Iowa is always a Heisman in waiting. :)

Latest posts