Guess What Jack Nunge Just Did?

This thread frames an annual question for me: would you rather win the NIT or lose in the first round of the tournament?

The standard answer is make the tournament, but I don't know. Which fan base is happier right now??????

This thread frames an annual question for me: would you rather win the NIT or lose in the first round of the tournament?

The standard answer is make the tournament, but I don't know. Which fan base is happier right now??????
Yeah granted factoring in Iowa won 26 games and won the BIG tourny too I think i'd rather do all that and win the NIT... Winning is good. Losing in 1st round sucks. Just being there isn't good enough when expectations are to make a run. So put us on TV winning a trophy. Only 2 teams win the last game they play and it's that one and the big one. The rest are all bummed pretty much

This is a tough question. I do think ending the season with a win makes you think differently about your team compared to flaming out early in the tourney.

My opinion, I still want to make the tourney.

I’m sure their team is happy right now and they added some good memories playing with each other, but they were on the bubble and flamed out at the end of the season missing the tournament. I think they will be asking themselves “what could have been?” (if they made the NCAA) just as much as teams losing the first round. Could they have made a sweet 16 run from the 11 seed? Happy for Jack though, he deserves to go out on a high note - assuming he chooses not to play another year

I also think the Big 10 tourney trophy was huge. If you asked me to choose between winning the conference tourney and winning the first game and losing in the second round of the NCAA, I would take the conference tourney trophy. That was a special weekend. Now, if it bumps up to a Sweet 16 appearance, I go the other way. Making the Sweet 16 is a thing.....

Ugliest hook shot I have ever seen...Kareem is probably cringing somewhere. I'm happy for Nunge, so I can't throw shade on it. We all know Sean Miller will have that program hummin before he bolts for a 2nd time.

I also think the Big 10 tourney trophy was huge. If you asked me to choose between winning the conference tourney and winning the first game and losing in the second round of the NCAA, I would take the conference tourney trophy. That was a special weekend. Now, if it bumps up to a Sweet 16 appearance, I go the other way. Making the Sweet 16 is a thing.....
Making the Sweet 16 is indeed a thing, but 20 years from now when introducing the team to fans who've never heard of them, which of the two announcements is going to mean the most -- to the players AND fans:
"the 2022 team which WON the Big Ten Tourney Championship!" or
"the 2022 team which made it to the Sweet 16."
I can see why Fran said he'd choose the championship if he had to choose.

Jack making that shot was great!! After a lot of reflection this was really a fun successful year. All those wins and a tournament title - awesome! When we least expect it will be when get back to the sweet 16. Go hawks

Only 2 teams win the last game they play and it's that one and the big one. The rest are all bummed pretty much
this just isn't true. it neglects the CBI, which is another prestigious post-season tournament. also, some conferences don't allow all teams to participate in their conference tournament, so there are a fair number of teams who do win their last game.

Hawks just chose to Franny fade in the very last game of the season this year. Perhaps next year it will go away completely??

Hawks just chose to Franny fade in the very last game of the season this year. Perhaps next year it will go away completely??
It's never completely going away unless he wins a natty. Unfortunately. You just confirmed that by saying the last game of the year constitutes a Franny fade.

The only way to avoid fading in the last game of the year is to win it all.

I mean some metrics had us second in the country only to Gonzaga from February 1st on, which was approximately when Fran switched the lineup. Then we are flat for one game at the wrong time and here comes the fade talk again.

Last edited:
Jack making that shot was great!! After a lot of reflection this was really a fun successful year. All those wins and a tournament title - awesome! When we least expect it will be when get back to the sweet 16. Go hawks
I was wondering that as well.. Maybe our path to the Sixteen or beyond is to sneak in as a double digit seed, or go the play in route like we did in 2014, then score a couple upsets.

Of course this board would be up in flames for two months claiming that such a team has no NCAA chance.

It's never completely going away unless he wins a natty. Unfortunately. You just confirmed that by saying the last game of the year constitutes a Franny fade.

The only way to avoid fading in the last game of the year is to win it all.

I mean some metrics had us second in the country only to Gonzaga from February 1st on, which was approximately when Fran switched the lineup. Then we are flat for one game at the wrong time and here comes the fade talk again.
Heres to a Natty!

Latest posts