Welcome to the B1G Filip

Seth53

Friday it's Edey @ 7'4"/295 and Monday it's Kofi @ 7'/290.

6" 9" and 230 may have meant something in the Summit League but get ready to have your hands full.

Even Garza had issues with Kofi.

At least he brings some experience. Purdue with their size is an anomaly in itself. You could be focusing this post on any power forward/center on Iowa or any team. I like Rebacca's mindset and play. He seems to be a team player. Purdue is a different dog.

The whole damn team needs to really block out, limit as many Purdue possessions as they can. This has been Iowa's downfall. Rebounding technique and effort.

Game Plan: If we make 75% of our 2 and 3 point shots we have no need to rebound. The few rebounds we get by accident will be a bonus.

Actually, I have conceded the Purdue game to be a teaching opportunity for Fran, with the Illinois game being our bounce back opportunity. Cockburn manhandled us last year, but overall, Illinois is not as strong with Ayo gone.

Game Plan: If we make 75% of our 2 and 3 point shots we have no need to rebound. The few rebounds we get by accident will be a bonus.

Actually, I have conceded the Purdue game to be a teaching opportunity for Fran, with the Illinois game being our bounce back opportunity. Cockburn manhandled us last year, but overall, Illinois is not as strong with Ayo gone.

1) Obviously if that happens most if not all teams will win. I don't know if you are serious but that is not even a reachable goal really.

2) I differ on this game being a learning experience if it goes south. This could very well be one of those games that really doesn't offer anything breaking down after. Could be, not saying it will be. This because of the makeup of Purdue's team and just that a team really prob won't see something like this the rest of the season. There are some games the coaches just throw the tapes away, if you get my point. I hope that is not the case but could be.

1) Obviously if that happens most if not all teams will win. I don't know if you are serious but that is not even a reachable goal really.

2) I differ on this game being a learning experience if it goes south. This could very well be one of those games that really doesn't offer anything breaking down after. Could be, not saying it will be. This because of the makeup of Purdue's team and just that a team really prob won't see something like this the rest of the season. There are some games the coaches just throw the tapes away, if you get my point. I hope that is not the case but could be.

No, not serious. Well, only serious to the extent of what it will take to beat Purdue at Mackey anyway.

And perhaps you are right that the tape gets thrown away if it goes bad........still, given the level of the competition so far, except VA, I think for a young team Fran would almost have to use it as a teaching tool if just to keep some positive morale. Purdue is going to beat a lot of teams badly. Truth is, I do not dislike Purdue to the extent of some other B1G teams out there. I still remember when we were in the final four together, and I have a lot of respect for Painter as a coach. But, I happily enjoy Iowa beating the pants off them any given year..............

No, not serious. Well, only serious to the extent of what it will take to beat Purdue at Mackey anyway.

And perhaps you are right that the tape gets thrown away if it goes bad........still, given the level of the competition so far, except VA, I think for a young team Fran would almost have to use it as a teaching tool if just to keep some positive morale. Purdue is going to beat a lot of teams badly. Truth is, I do not dislike Purdue to the extent of some other B1G teams out there. I still remember when we were in the final four together, and I have a lot of respect for Painter as a coach. But, I happily enjoy Iowa beating the pants off them any given year..............

Yea, I don't have any angst against Purdue as they seem to be a solid program under Painter. I actually have a lot of respect for Painter and the way he runs his team and the offense he employs.

At least he brings some experience. Purdue with their size is an anomaly in itself. You could be focusing this post on any power forward/center on Iowa or any team. I like Rebacca's mindset and play. He seems to be a team player. Purdue is a different dog.

The whole damn team needs to really block out, limit as many Purdue possessions as they can. This has been Iowa's downfall. Rebounding technique and effort.
My post basically was pointing out Rebacca was Garza's replacement since Ogundele apparently isn't ready to play any sort of meaningful minutes.

And really, he's a power forward, not a center, who'll be going up against a plethora of Godzilla-like centers this year. (I would have said King Kong but look what happened to Dolph...but I digress...)

I don't see us playing much man to man against Purdue.

And yes, I agree...the Purdue game will be a measuring-stick game for Iowa. And unless it goes totally south, a good learning tape.

We're 7-0, great, but it's a sorta/kinda weak 7-0 record if you will. Purdue will test the validity of our record.

I found the following interesting tidbits....

1. Matt Painter has coached Purdue to five Sweet 16s and three Big Ten regular-season championships.

2. Entering Thursday, Iowa led the nation in scoring with 94.0 points per game, and Purdue was second at 92.4. Iowa’s Keegan Murray is second in scoring with 24.6 ppg, trailing only Georgia Tech guard Michael Devoe.

3. The Hawkeyes have lost their last three visits to Purdue by an average of 24.7 points. They snapped a four-game losing streak against the Boilermakers in their most-recent meeting, a 70-55 win in Iowa City in last season’s conference-opener.

4. Seven of Purdue’s rotation players are from Indiana.

5. Iowa is a very respectable 6-9 all-time against No. 2-ranked teams. Its last win over a second-ranked team was in 2001 when No. 15 Iowa won at Missouri, 83-65. The last time an unranked Hawkeyes team upset a No. 2 team was was in 1991, when it beat Ohio State, 80-69.

imo, this isn’t a measuring stick game. If they are within striking distance with 5 minutes left I will be happy.

The game against Illinois at home is definitely a measuring stick game. Iowa can get that one.

The B1G goes as follows: Purdue and there’s a gap from them and about 6 or 7 other teams. Right now, Iowa is one of the those 6 or 7. Will they be one of the 6 or 7 come February is the question .

Iowa never plays well at Mackey (most teams don't). I'll consider it a win if they can stay within 15.
Of the this 5 game stretch they have already beaten Virginia…give me Illinois and Utah St. and I am good.

Don’t sleep on Utah St. that is a sneaky tough game.

I share the concern. My best retort is that we had a generational center last year who was by no means small. We lost to an Oregon team that was pretty much all skinny 6'7 guys. Garza played well, but we still got whooped.

I doubt either team is going to be able to just throw to the low post and score 2 every possession. We aint leaving Flip isolated on these man children. Doubles will come early and often.

I also don't think these games are really measuring sticks for this team. I don't think we are at Purdue's level. I want to see how we look against Iowa State.

Friday it's Edey @ 7'4"/295 and Monday it's Kofi @ 7'/290.

6" 9" and 230 may have meant something in the Summit League but get ready to have your hands full.

Even Garza had issues with Kofi.

I suppose his working out in the summer with Nikola Jokic didn't help him at all (mentioned by TV announcers as they are both from Serbia). After all, Jokic is only 6'11" and 285, and is at least as skilled as either of the two guys you mentioned.

I found the following interesting tidbits....

1. Matt Painter has coached Purdue to five Sweet 16s and three Big Ten regular-season championships.

2. Entering Thursday, Iowa led the nation in scoring with 94.0 points per game, and Purdue was second at 92.4. Iowa’s Keegan Murray is second in scoring with 24.6 ppg, trailing only Georgia Tech guard Michael Devoe.

3. The Hawkeyes have lost their last three visits to Purdue by an average of 24.7 points. They snapped a four-game losing streak against the Boilermakers in their most-recent meeting, a 70-55 win in Iowa City in last season’s conference-opener.

4. Seven of Purdue’s rotation players are from Indiana.

5. Iowa is a very respectable 6-9 all-time against No. 2-ranked teams. Its last win over a second-ranked team was in 2001 when No. 15 Iowa won at Missouri, 83-65. The last time an unranked Hawkeyes team upset a No. 2 team was was in 1991, when it beat Ohio State, 80-69.
I was at that '91 OSU game. Loudest I ever heard Carver.

I suppose his working out in the summer with Nikola Jokic didn't help him at all (mentioned by TV announcers as they are both from Serbia). After all, Jokic is only 6'11" and 285, and is at least as skilled as either of the two guys you mentioned.
We'll see. Working out in a gym vs game scheming remains to be seen.

Rebraca struggled with Purdue's size tonight. However, Josh Ogundele was able to do some things.

3 pts 5 fouls. Nope

He missed a lot of easy shots early in this game. Come January/February you expect him to make those. 12 and 7 is still on the board for me in regards to Rebracca