Abysmal is the only word I could think of

longtimer

We still have one of the worst offenses in the country. This win was against one of the worst teams I have seen this year. Reminds me of the Northwestern teams of the past

Our offensive line is still really bad. How many plays for negative yards? I'm sure we didn't lose our national standing in that category.

Padilla did a nice job on 2 drives and didn't turn it over but we scored 3 points from there on. Like 2-14 on third down against Northwestern who was giving up yards by the hundreds to every one. Still better than Petras

Coaching: Dolphin in post game gave Kudos to BF. Wow both BF and Dolph need to consider moving on. There is no way BF can be our OC next year

And speaking of coaching Ferentz clock management at end of first half was "abysmal" Ever hear of a Hail Mary?

Even the defense wasn't great. Especially tackling. Did come up with key interceptions mostly because Northwestern QB threw some real stinkers

I suppose we could win another game or 2 because Minnesota is obviously capable of stinking and Illinois is Illinois. I would think Nebraska will view us as bowl game and most likely put a hurt on us (unless Martinez goes down before than) he is taking a beating

Can't argue with much you said. .y worse fear is losing any of the next 3 games. God forbid losing to Nebraska.

We still have one of the worst offenses in the country. This win was against one of the worst teams I have seen this year. Reminds me of the Northwestern teams of the past

Our offensive line is still really bad. How many plays for negative yards? I'm sure we didn't lose our national standing in that category.

Padilla did a nice job on 2 drives and didn't turn it over but we scored 3 points from there on. Like 2-14 on third down against Northwestern who was giving up yards by the hundreds to every one. Still better than Petras

Coaching: Dolphin in post game gave Kudos to BF. Wow both BF and Dolph need to consider moving on. There is no way BF can be our OC next year

And speaking of coaching Ferentz clock management at end of first half was "abysmal" Ever hear of a Hail Mary?

Even the defense wasn't great. Especially tackling. Did come up with key interceptions mostly because Northwestern QB threw some real stinkers

I suppose we could win another game or 2 because Minnesota is obviously capable of stinking and Illinois is Illinois. I would think Nebraska will view us as bowl game and most likely put a hurt on us (unless Martinez goes down before than) he is taking a beating
Hail Mary that means we throw the ball downfield and that is not in our playbook. Honest question do you recall Iowa ever throwing a Hail Mary?

Hail Mary that means we throw the ball downfield and that is not in our playbook. Honest question do you recall Iowa ever throwing a Hail Mary?

The OP is spot on about the offense ( I think our tackling was maybe some footage, slipping issues with short spikes on actual real grass).

I cant ever remember a Kirk team throwing a hail mary and I have seen them in multiple situations when they could have. I usually hate to bring up the Fry comparison but multiple times Fry would take possession late in a first half or a game and run a basic running play, take their time huddling, line up deliberately while the clock ran down, then throw a 50 yard pass from even way down in his territory. A few times it worked to kick or attempt a field goal.

Let's keep this in perspective.
Yes it was a win.
By 5.
17 pts against one of the worst defenses in the B10.
Will that offense carry us for the last three games?

I stopped watching at end of first half. Couldn't contain myself witnessing yet another display of "fetal Ferentz" lack of urgency, let alone, effort with such a prime opportunity to get points.

Iowa will avg under 20 points the rest of the way. So, could be 3-0 or 0-3.
They'll beat Minny 17-14.
They'll lose to Illannoy 24-20.
They'll lose at Nebraska 27-17.

Even if they win out, Wisconsin is still gonna win the West. They'll sweep NW, Neb and Minny and cruise to another title game after Chryst figures out his team, adapts and wins. Meanwhile, the Ferentzes are wondering what happened to squander this season and will work hard to figure it out during the off-season.

This week. I won't rant. They've exceeded my expectations. They scored 3 times, I expected two scores (both FGs). They won and I did not expect another win the rest of the season.

The Ohline is what it is. Once that is accepted, life gets better. For all of my fussing online, I can't change a thing about the Iowa program. Accept and move on to other things in life.

Padilla's mobility and decisiveness helped mitigate some of our pass protection woes (which is exactly why, if I were in the coaches' meeting, I would be advocating he starts next week), but NW's DL (which I don't think is particularly good) was absolutely melting our OL at times during run situations. We did find some holes for sure - take a look at Goodson's numbers, he couldn't have done that if we were doing nothing - but the consistency was definitely lacking.

All three remaining games will be a test.

Minnesota and Nebraska seem to be solid teams that are, for whatever reason, prone to ill timed F ups.

Illinois looked like a "mow your lawn Saturday" type win a few weeks back, but Bert has them playing better and believing. If we could get some confidence back on O, I think we could potentially roll the Illini. If we go out and struggle and lose to Minnesota, I could see 1 loss turning into 2, maybe 3 situation very easily.

10-2 would have been beyond my expectations for the year. 7-5 wouldn't have shocked me, but would be hard to swallow now after seeing us start 6-0.

Many people are blaming Padilla for the lack of offense in the second half, that was all Kirk. Kirk nursed that 14 lead like a midwife. Padilla did what he could to make the plays to change field position but he was handcuffed on all 3rd down plays and of course the normally sure handed Jones missed a TD throw that would have sealed the game. Kirk was determined not to trust his new QB. The blocked punt was unusual as well. I know one thing, all three games left will be dogfights. Glad 2 of 3 are at home but as the weather gets colder that is less of an advantage. I'm glad Nebraska thinks the only highlight of their season will be beating Iowa. Ala Iowa State for many years. Or they can bask in the limelight of beating the spread on several games. Screw you Nebby for messing up my parley, as if I need another reason to hate them.

I would like to know why after we had a qb who ends up to be Heisman runner up and then never get another qb of his style again.
Because Bert Bielema isn't here to recruit that type of player from that part of the country anymore.

His contribution to KF 1.0 2002-2005 has been criminally underlooked and has never been duplicated since.

Last edited:
I’m super happy we won the game but to score 3 points in the second half against that D doesn’t put happy thoughts in my head about putting points on the board vs our final three opponents.
Our defense has to be our offense, or at least give our offense short fields. We haven't thrown a TD pass since Rags to Riches a month ago (which seems like six months ago)

Should have had two last night. Keegan on the post corner and Charlie Jones coming across the middle. Those passes have to be caught, and not doing so will be magnified against teams like Minny and Nebby.

My thoughts exactly. So many good points in this thread someone ought to print it and frame it.

Padilla needs more reps before he’s assessed. But we finally saw the birth of a big-boy quarterback – you know, like those other college teams have – guys who more times than not hit targets, run out of the pocket when needed, and all with a natural flow of athleticism. Must thank the fans, other influencers, and, er, ah, this room, who forced the decision. Dream how more effective Padilla will be next week – if he can throw in very, very cold weather.

I wish the weekly crap talk that “Moss should be good to go this week,” … until time and time again he isn’t, would stop. Moss is trusted and charismatic, which likely supported those in the box as well. When he returns, the team will return. The pollsters were kind in today’s rankings, less about the NW win, more so about Iowa having a new quarterback, me thinks.

Many people are blaming Padilla for the lack of offense in the second half, that was all Kirk. Kirk nursed that 14 lead like a midwife. Padilla did what he could to make the plays to change field position but he was handcuffed on all 3rd down plays and of course the normally sure handed Jones missed a TD throw that would have sealed the game. Kirk was determined not to trust his new QB. The blocked punt was unusual as well. I know one thing, all three games left will be dogfights. Glad 2 of 3 are at home but as the weather gets colder that is less of an advantage. I'm glad Nebraska thinks the only highlight of their season will be beating Iowa. Ala Iowa State for many years. Or they can bask in the limelight of beating the spread on several games. Screw you Nebby for messing up my parley, as if I need another reason to hate them.

MFers better start showing some respect for your parleys

Nasty evil punks

Finally got to watch the whole thing. Padilla releases the ball in three seconds, makes decisions quickly, and can run the bootleg.

He put most of his balls on target. Hits guys in stride on crossing routes, and fits balls in tight windows.Puts a little too much air under the ball on long throws. He was plagued by drops in the second half.

He didn't do enough to outright win the job away from Petras, but did enough that Petras's leash should be short if Petras goes three and out over and over again in the first quarter of any start.

Thought Brian made some really strange decisions, running the four minute offense at 5+ minutes in a two-score game, not using the bootleg enough, and not having Goodson in there with 2+ minutes to go.

The defense did not tackle well in the 4th quarter, and the zone coverage in the middle of the field got a little sloppy. NW was helped on their TD drive by a questionable PI, and Jones missed a bomb from Padilla due to being held.

That TD pass that was dropped just has to be caught.

17 points against NW is frustrating, but at least the offense looked capable of moving the ball this week. Have to clean up those drops.

Punt protection on the block was a missed assignment. Iowa got very lucky there.

The end of the 1st half was inexplicable from a clock-management standpoint, should have at least gotten 3 before half.

A nice effect of having Padilla in the game was that NW was forced to put 6 in the box, giving Iowa a little room to run the ball.

LaPorta did not have his best game blocking today, other than the downfield block on NW safety leading Goodson's late big run.

Bruce had a hell of a game. He needs more targets going forward.

Glad it was a W. Let's go get the Goophers.

Latest posts