Iowa @ Maryland prediction thread

Who remains undefeated in conf. play?

• Iowa, 7 or less

• Iowa, more than 7

• Maryland, 7 or less

• Maryland, more than 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know you're not advocating for Friday night college games, but goddammit, Fridays belong to high schoolers.

Maryland can stick their roody poo night games up their asses sideways and spin 'em.
I pray we never see the NFL on Friday but believe it is only a matter of time, especially if transcontinental travel is involved.

They haven’t seen anything close to our defense but we’ve seen better than them in all facets already. The D last week got pushed around in the 1st half and came out pissed off in the 2nd and dominated, I expect that all game.

Hawks - 35
Turds - 17
Sounds good to me!

Iowa should win this game regardless. There are enough things to fix on both sides of the ball that no player should be complacent. The offensive line is both young and inexperienced. They have not been in the program long enough to be at their best weights. Just get those receivers to run routes deeper than 2 or 3 yards!

I pray we never see the NFL on Friday but believe it is only a matter of time, especially if transcontinental travel is involved.

It all depends on how much money they think they can make on the content. With now infinite options for delivery methods and massive premiums being paid for live sports, Friday night NFL will be totally in the hands of the data analytics wonks. I think the NFL folks are actually concerned with oversaturation diminishing value so maybe they won't do it.

We have come a long way from Bo Schembechler basically saying "I don't care about the games being on TV so long as they know we kick off at 1:05." Welp, that is gone. There are now essentially 3 windows. Noon, 3:30 and the night window. Gotta stagger the games for the content providers.

I know you're not advocating for Friday night college games, but goddammit, Fridays belong to high schoolers.

Maryland can stick their roody poo night games up their asses sideways and spin 'em.
I agree, Friday night lights are too few and the last good social event outdoors before winter settles in.....

I had to listen to Scott Van Pelt (a MD grad) on SiriusXM 84 this morning blubber on and on and on about MD, it's coach, program, bright future, etc.

Not a single mention about Iowa.

Love it. These games are where the Hawks shut people up (other than Cow-Turd)

If Tagovailoa has a good day... Iowa loses. I realize I am stating the obvious, but imo that is what it comes down to. The D has to frustrate him and make him uncomfortable the way they did Purdy and Penix.

Tagovailoa MIGHT BE the best qb Iowa will have faced so far, but if the D stays disciplined(which I think they will) they win a close one: 24-21.

I took the time to rewatch the MD Ill since as a lot of folks have said, ILL is trying to copy IOWA in type of play. 2 things really jumped out at me.
1.ILL was in the game the whole way by running the ball well and keeping folks in front of them they rushed only 3 a lot and really left the check down back wide open,
2. ILL was not gap responsible, and when the MD QB did run, there was little to no contain.
IMHO, the difference was ILL did not play sound fundamental football, they did not wrap up and tackle well , nor did they gang tackle. and I thought they wore down on both sides of the ball.
There are 2 reasons I think IOWA WINS,
1. This is a gritty bunch of hard nosed, tough, team 1st guys, that are job focused.
the atmosphere (night game) will not distract them
2 there is a unity and team togetherness, that really shows on this team and theses guys really care for and push/ defend each other and in a tight game that goes a long way!

This is a nice post / link.
The analysis is detailed and rather long, but it does provide some insight on the Hawkeyes by position, as scored by pros.
Seems our weakest links are WR and tackles, with Goodson not showing well so far.

My head tells me this is a typical trap game for Iowa. How many times have we seen this movie...highly rated a huge game looming and we lose the game before it. So my head is saying we lose to Maryland. However, my gut says this team is just too damn tough to lose a game. I truly believe the chemistry is truly special with this team. I think the whole accusations leveled against the program has given us that circle the wagons vibe. We all know when Iowa has a chip on their shoulder and great chemistry watch out.

I also firmly believe we have limited the things we have shown on offense. I think starting Friday you will see a different Iowa team on offense. Kirk has finally let the pups out of the kennel, and look for Johnson and Bruce to start to shine. I personally know Keegan's HS coach and he is the best athlete they have ever had at Bellevue West...and they have had some dandies. Includes Oklahoma's top TE recruit this year.

Maryland has not played a team like us and no West Virginia is not IOWA. I look for special teams to continue to flip the field and frustrate Maryland's offense. I don't believe they will dink and dump for 80+ yards...which means forced passes into a top flight secondary. I also believe Iowa scores on a kick off return or punt return...their special teams are not good.

I believe Iowa returns to Iowa City with a 31 to 13 win...and let the PSU hype begin.

My head tells me this is a typical trap game for Iowa. How many times have we seen this movie...highly rated a huge game looming and we lose the game before it. So my head is saying we lose to Maryland. However, my gut says this team is just too damn tough to lose a game. I truly believe the chemistry is truly special with this team. I think the whole accusations leveled against the program has given us that circle the wagons vibe. We all know when Iowa has a chip on their shoulder and great chemistry watch out.

I also firmly believe we have limited the things we have shown on offense. I think starting Friday you will see a different Iowa team on offense. Kirk has finally let the pups out of the kennel, and look for Johnson and Bruce to start to shine. I personally know Keegan's HS coach and he is the best athlete they have ever had at Bellevue West...and they have had some dandies. Includes Oklahoma's top TE recruit this year.

Maryland has not played a team like us and no West Virginia is not IOWA. I look for special teams to continue to flip the field and frustrate Maryland's offense. I don't believe they will dink and dump for 80+ yards...which means forced passes into a top flight secondary. I also believe Iowa scores on a kick off return or punt return...their special teams are not good.

I believe Iowa returns to Iowa City with a 31 to 13 win...and let the PSU hype begin.
You may have nailed it

I agree, Friday night lights are too few and the last good social event outdoors before winter settles in.....
We have a big one over in Wisconsin tomorrow night. Cuba City vs Darlington. Both teams are ranked top ten for their division and both could meet again in postseason play.

Iowa 34-17. It's strength against strength. Iowa's defense against Maryland's offense. Maryland hasn't played against a defense like Iowa. The question is can Iowa's offense score on Maryland's defense?

Sounds good to me. 31-13 would be great! I hope they look the Number 5 part on Friday. I just fear our offense "turtles up" one to many times that our defense can't cover for them in this one and it comes down to one possession. But, I hope your right and we have no worries there and the offense looks different and more put together this week.

Most seem to be pretty confident in polling on this game so maybe that can make me relax a bit more.

Those who think this is the game where Kirk will open up the offense……well, we’ve been waiting several years now. Don’t think it’s gonna happen. There may be a few wrinkles but I suspect it will be mostly the same.

Iowa should win, but I have a feeling our offensive ineptness will ge our downfall.
20-10, Maryland.

We have a big one over in Wisconsin tomorrow night. Cuba City vs Darlington. Both teams are ranked top ten for their division and both could meet again in postseason play.
I will pull for CC given I used to live closer to CC than Darlington. Besides, my kid's high school is doing about what they always do........lose mostly (5 miles to S of CC)

Kinda miss walking the 2 blocks to the game and topping it off with old fashioned's around a firepit

Iowa wins big: The offense is fixed ! West Champs without a doubt, hello Indy.

Iowa wins narrowly: relief. the O sucks, figure it out Brian

Iowa loses narrowly: Figure it out Brian, F ! F !

Iowa loses big: Offense sucks, Defense is over rated, I'll never watch another Iowa game. Fire everybody

Latest posts