Hawkeye Golden Years

PLHawk275

Back in 1979 the University of Iowa hires legendary head football coach Hayden Fry. Hayden would go on to change the college football world. Even most casual college football fans are aware of his coaching tree Snyder, Alverez, Ferentz, Stoops(s). But I'm here today to talk to about a slightly less know phenomenon. The Iowa Hawkeyes Football 6 golden year that happens every 6 years, like clockwork.

Forward to 1985, Chuck Long, Ronnie Harmon and Larry Station lead Iowa all the way to a #1 ranking and retain it for several weeks. During this run at number 1 Iowa faced the number 2 Michigan Wolverines. The significance can’t be under stated as prior to the BCS and College Football eras these were rare occurrences. The game was everything it was billed to be, with Iowa winning on a last second field goal. To this day I consider this to be the biggest Iowa win I have experienced as a fan. Looming on the schedule was a trip to Columbus and basically buck the Fudkeyes. Despite the loss would win the Big Ten outright and go to the Rose Bowl, with slim but still a chance at a National Championship. Despite Iowa being favored the game would not go Iowa’s way. Iowa would finish the season 10-2.

Six years later, 1991. When Iowa fans talk the best teams ever talk, this team sadly often gets overlooked. Iowa plays 2 bad halves all year long and has by winning percentage the best season of the modern era going 10-1-1. However due to the perception of the Big Ten, Iowa only reaches a high point of #7. Notable players included Matt Rodgers, Danian Hughes, LeRoy Smith and of course Bert.

Tim Dwight, Tavian Banks, Jared Devries, 1997, to me was always the year that could have been. Iowa climbs to number eight and plays a top 10 match-up, with buck the Fudkeyes, in Columbus. A week later the Hawkeyes host eventual nation champions Michigan, taking a 21 to 7 lead into half time. Unfortunately Senior QB Matt Sherman would be injured, Michigan would prevail and Iowa would not recover. Final record in 1997 was 7-5 and some lean years for Iowa football would follow and Iowa would hire Kirk Ferentz in 1999.

2003, OK yes I know that in 2002 Iowa climbed higher in the polls and finished with a better record but that just doesn’t fit with our every 6-year mantra. 2003's Iowa Hawkeyes had some ups and downs but finished the year destroying Florida in a bowl game and with a record of 10-3. Reaching its highest ranking in the year end poll at #8. Notable players Bob Sanders, Robert Gallery, Nate Kaeding and Fred Russell.

2009, Iowa starts off 9-0 climbing to number 4. Up 10 to 0 against Northwestern when the infamous naked bootleg is called. Down goes Stanzi . With the playbook reduce to two plays Iowa is unable to hold on. The next week, Iowa plays THE Ohio State buck the Fudkeyes for the Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl berth. Despite playing with back up QB James Vandenburg, Iowa takes the game to overtime but would fall short in overtime. Iowa would finish the year with a victory in the Orange bowl and an 11-2 record. Notable team members Ricky “Love it or Leave it” Stanzi, Adrian Clayborn, Micah Hyde, Marvin McNutt.

Six years later in 2015 Iowa would run the tables a perfect 12 and 0 in the regular season climbing to #3. Unfortunately they would fall victim to what seemed like a 103 play march of death from the Spartans in the B1G CCG. Despite the loss in the Big Ten CCG Iowa earn a Rose Bowl bid. At the Rose Bowl they got Christian McCafferyed. Final record 12-2. Notable players Desmond King, CJ Beathard, George Kittle.

Which brings us to the present, 2021 and salty SEC fans are once again having to talk to their kids about a top 5 Iowa. Only this time we do have a championship caliber defense. The story is not yet finished for this group but it sure does feel great to see Iowa back in the top 5.

So in recap Iowa has a 40 year history of being a solid program but every 6th year look out. Since 1979 Iowa's overall winning percentage has been %61.5, solid sure I would like it to be better but solid. Iowa's "six year golden year" percentage %80.1. Iowa's overall win percentage since 1979 taking out the magic years %58.1

I was a student @ Iowa from 78-82.

Think about the coaches and AD prowling about during that timeframe:

Fry
Lute
Gable
Swim coach Patton
AD Elliott

Final four (old field house was a deafening home court advantage)
Rose Bowl (bota bags and weed galore in Kinnick)
National wrestling champs (again, the field house rocked)
B1G swim champs (I went to many a party at the old Dolphin house)

Was a glorious time to be young in Iowa City

Back in 1979 the University of Iowa hires legendary head football coach Hayden Fry. Hayden would go on to change the college football world. Even most casual college football fans are aware of his coaching tree Snyder, Alverez, Ferentz, Stoops(s). But I'm here today to talk to about a slightly less know phenomenon. The Iowa Hawkeyes Football 6 golden year that happens every 6 years, like clockwork.

Forward to 1985, Chuck Long, Ronnie Harmon and Larry Station lead Iowa all the way to a #1 ranking and retain it for several weeks. During this run at number 1 Iowa faced the number 2 Michigan Wolverines. The significance can’t be under stated as prior to the BCS and College Football eras these were rare occurrences. The game was everything it was billed to be, with Iowa winning on a last second field goal. To this day I consider this to be the biggest Iowa win I have experienced as a fan. Looming on the schedule was a trip to Columbus and basically buck the Fudkeyes. Despite the loss would win the Big Ten outright and go to the Rose Bowl, with slim but still a chance at a National Championship. Despite Iowa being favored the game would not go Iowa’s way. Iowa would finish the season 10-2.

Six years later, 1991. When Iowa fans talk the best teams ever talk, this team sadly often gets overlooked. Iowa plays 2 bad halves all year long and has by winning percentage the best season of the modern era going 10-1-1. However due to the perception of the Big Ten, Iowa only reaches a high point of #7. Notable players included Matt Rodgers, Danian Hughes, LeRoy Smith and of course Bert.

Tim Dwight, Tavian Banks, Jared Devries, 1997, to me was always the year that could have been. Iowa climbs to number eight and plays a top 10 match-up, with buck the Fudkeyes, in Columbus. A week later the Hawkeyes host eventual nation champions Michigan, taking a 21 to 7 lead into half time. Unfortunately Senior QB Matt Sherman would be injured, Michigan would prevail and Iowa would not recover. Final record in 1997 was 7-5 and some lean years for Iowa football would follow and Iowa would hire Kirk Ferentz in 1999.

2003, OK yes I know that in 2002 Iowa climbed higher in the polls and finished with a better record but that just doesn’t fit with our every 6-year mantra. 2003's Iowa Hawkeyes had some ups and downs but finished the year destroying Florida in a bowl game and with a record of 10-3. Reaching its highest ranking in the year end poll at #8. Notable players Bob Sanders, Robert Gallery, Nate Kaeding and Fred Russell.

2009, Iowa starts off 9-0 climbing to number 4. Up 10 to 0 against Northwestern when the infamous naked bootleg is called. Down goes Stanzi . With the playbook reduce to two plays Iowa is unable to hold on. The next week, Iowa plays THE Ohio State buck the Fudkeyes for the Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl berth. Despite playing with back up QB James Vandenburg, Iowa takes the game to overtime but would fall short in overtime. Iowa would finish the year with a victory in the Orange bowl and an 11-2 record. Notable team members Ricky “Love it or Leave it” Stanzi, Adrian Clayborn, Micah Hyde, Marvin McNutt.

Six years later in 2015 Iowa would run the tables a perfect 12 and 0 in the regular season climbing to #3. Unfortunately they would fall victim to what seemed like a 103 play march of death from the Spartans in the B1G CCG. Despite the loss in the Big Ten CCG Iowa earn a Rose Bowl bid. At the Rose Bowl they got Christian McCafferyed. Final record 12-2. Notable players Desmond King, CJ Beathard, George Kittle.

Which brings us to the present, 2021 and salty SEC fans are once again having to talk to their kids about a top 5 Iowa. Only this time we do have a championship caliber defense. The story is not yet finished for this group but it sure does feel great to see Iowa back in the top 5.

So in recap Iowa has a 40 year history of being a solid program but every 6th year look out. Since 1979 Iowa's overall winning percentage has been %61.5, solid sure I would like it to be better but solid. Iowa's "six year golden year" percentage %80.1. Iowa's overall win percentage since 1979 taking out the magic years %58.1
Very interesting how every 6 years or so things take a very good upturn.

Nice essay here.

Three observations. First of all it's a good thing you didn't have to go back to 1973 to stay consistent with this pattern. Lauterbur's boys went 0-11 that year.

Iowa vs Michigan 1985 game winning field goal. They should find out who threw the roll of toilet paper seen in the background as the ball was sailing through and do a Where Are They Now segment on him or her. That was probably a student as the student section was in that end zone in those days.

1991 B1G was very top heavy, then bottomed out quickly. That may have contributed somewhat to the Hawks success that year.

Hey, can't wait for 2027!

Nice essay here.

Three observations. First of all it's a good thing you didn't have to go back to 1973 to stay consistent with this pattern. Lauterbur's boys went 0-11 that year.

Iowa vs Michigan 1985 game winning field goal. They should find out who threw the roll of toilet paper seen in the background as the ball was sailing through and do a Where Are They Now segment on him or her. That was probably a student as the student section was in that end zone in those days.

1991 B1G was very top heavy, then bottomed out quickly. That may have contributed somewhat to the Hawks success that year.

Hey, can't wait for 2027!

Yeah, about the 1:17 mark

The Roll goes sailing

Another Roll follows on the left soon after

Frosting on the cake

Nicely done. A great post.

I grew up in Coralville and went through the terrible 70s. I remember when Hayden came aboard and changed the culture of the entire state. I remember sitting in school drawing the tigerhawk logo. Such a simple, elegant, and iconic logo.

Those years of sneaking into Kinnick and going to the Field house. So much fun.

When they announced on the radio the name of the new Iowa coach, I was pheasant hunting near Tama. I said, “Hayden who?” Guess I found out!

Damn solid post and great observation! Nicely done. Welcome to the board! Keep them coming.

If a power wins every year, and it takes 5 years to build a redshirt senior that is an All Big Ten type player, and Iowa is the sixth choice of kids who want to play in the BIG ten, behind OSU, PSU, Mich, Wisconsin, and MSU, and you sign 25 / year,

1/6 * 25 * 5

gets you 20 eventual All-B1G type players on one team at one time. In addition, in the modern B1G, Iowa manages to skip OSU and Michigan in the same season about as often, and you get the power year hangovers where Iowa wins 9 or 10 games.

If a power wins every year, and it takes 5 years to build a redshirt senior that is an All Big Ten type player, and Iowa is the sixth choice of kids who want to play in the BIG ten, behind OSU, PSU, Mich, Wisconsin, and MSU, and you sign 25 / year,

1/6 * 25 * 5

gets you 20 eventual All-B1G type players on one team at one time. In addition, in the modern B1G, Iowa manages to skip OSU and Michigan in the same season about as often, and you get the power year hangovers where Iowa wins 9 or 10 games.

My head hurts.

My head hurts.
TLDR; Iowa is the sixth favorite team of recruits in the Big Ten. Generalizing, we have 1/6th of a chance of recruiting a good player than OSU, for example. Thus to have a full team of good players in the system at one time, it takes about 6 years. And that's exactly when Iowa hits as a good team.

The problem is that you have to be one of the top 5 teams in the country for anyone to ever get a national championship on talent alone. That's why Bama keeps recycling championships, and the playoffs keep repeating themselves.

1/6 * 25 * 5

Can we drop the 5 years of coaching and developing crap? Iowa has had an underclassmen drafted each year since 2018 including, 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders. Iowa has had an underclassmen D liner drafted each of the last three years. 9 total draftees, wait no that’s 9 underclassmen draftees. That’s more the %80 more than Nebraska, underclassmen or not, has in that same span and Nebraska has supposedly significantly out recruited Iowa.

I’m not sure I follow your conclusions regarding the distribution of all Big Ten caliber players. I think I understand how you are getting to the number but I think your assumptions are wrong. Perhaps you can explain how you are arriving at that number.

Finally, about the whole skipping Michigan and OSU and modern the Big Ten and winning 9 to 10 games in a power year. This data includes data spanning more than 40 years. Every year listed until 2015 Iowa played both Michigan and OSU. Iowa has won 9 or 10 games in each of the 3 years it has played a full normal season. Iowa’s winning percentage last year would have extended to winning 9 or 10 games last year. Do you have any doubt about what would have been the outcome of the Iowa/Michigan game last year if the game was not cancelled due to Covid? A 9-win season assuming a bowl game but not a CCG appearance equals a winning percentage of %69. a 10-win season making the same assumptions %76.9. As I said earlier Iowa win percent in the listed years %80.1. Try to reason it away or chalk it up as a coincidence but it is an anomaly.

TLDR; Iowa is the sixth favorite team of recruits in the Big Ten. Generalizing, we have 1/6th of a chance of recruiting a good player than OSU, for example. Thus to have a full team of good players in the system at one time, it takes about 6 years. And that's exactly when Iowa hits as a good team.
Ok your assumptions are worse than I thought.

Latest posts