Fake Punt.....

That "base" offense should include some quarterback sneaks. No need to hide a play like that, everyone in the country knows Iowa runs it.

Iowa is in the top 5, it's time for style points. BTW, if KSU doesn't fumble that ball in the endzone that game could have turned out completely different. I think there is room for criticism and opportunities to get better.
The game would have been 30 - 17 instead. KSU had other opportunities to duplicate that drive. They did not duplicate it. And Iowa nearly doubled its tally.

You want offense? Here comes CSU. It'll be a serious snoozer.

I can hear Kirk over his bowl of grape nuts tomorrow, “Conservative? Predictable? I don’t get it Mary, who took a delay of game THEN did a fake punt?! Nobody saw that coming.”
Well it made so little sense in the world all the way around that yeah nobody saw it coming that's for darn sure. Just glad it didn't matter at the end of the day. Does KF have the balls to do something like that against PSU on the road when down in the 2nd half? We all know he doesn't so this was just for fun in a situation that thankfully didn't matter we can laugh it off.

Over under on us running another fake punt all year is??? I'll take the under on whatever number is less then 1

As others have said, KF called that for tape to keep special teams coaches on their feet. The game was already well in hand. I guaranty that it was not KFs idea, but I can see how it was sold to him.

As others have said, KF called that for tape to keep special teams coaches on their feet. The game was already well in hand. I guaranty that it was not KFs idea, but I can see how it was sold to him.

I was thinking about this earlier. I noticed during the ISU game the defense was not playing the fake at all, pretty much the entire defensive line was 10 yards down field before Taylor even kicked the ball. So the fake punt may not have been a complete waste, at least now opposing defenses knows Iowa could run it.

I was thinking about this earlier. I noticed during the ISU game the defense was not playing the fake at all, pretty much the entire defensive line was 10 yards down field before Taylor even kicked the ball. So the fake punt may not have been a complete waste, at least now opposing defenses knows Iowa could run it.
Exactly. It should also give Taylor a tad bit more time to get it off.

Today's press conference.............

Q. I wanted to ask about the fake punt.

KIRK FERENTZ: Yeah. It's called bad coaching. Right here. I'll take that one. It was dumb. Dumb. That's a really dumb -- that was a dumb sequence.

Today's press conference.............

Q. I wanted to ask about the fake punt.

KIRK FERENTZ: Yeah. It's called bad coaching. Right here. I'll take that one. It was dumb. Dumb. That's a really dumb -- that was a dumb sequence.

lol...someone got their ass chewed

Well it made so little sense in the world all the way around that yeah nobody saw it coming that's for darn sure. Just glad it didn't matter at the end of the day. Does KF have the balls to do something like that against PSU on the road when down in the 2nd half? We all know he doesn't so this was just for fun in a situation that thankfully didn't matter we can laugh it off.

I'm gonna use this thread to bitch about the play calling a little bit. I don't get why BF doesn't call for more QB sneaks in short yardage situations. IIRC it was ran one time and I think Petras picked up 4 yards and it was not called again even though there were plenty of situations that they could have used it. The line has a center that is probably going to be starting on Sundays next year, USE HIM!
With Linderbaum leading the way, and the rule changed that you can push a player forward, this should be every 1-2 yd play.

Linderbaum diving, Pottebaum pushing both of them from behind.

With Linderbaum leading the way, and the rule changed that you can push a player forward, this should be every 1-2 yd play.

Linderbaum diving, Pottebaum pushing both of them from behind.

I really like the "surprise" sneak (e.g. on 1st and 10) as well. I think your a Viking's fan, right? Do you remember Brad Johnson used to pull out one of those every few games during his season or two with the team?

I really like the "surprise" sneak (e.g. on 1st and 10) as well. I think your a Viking's fan, right? Do you remember Brad Johnson used to pull out one of those every few games during his season or two with the team?
Heheh I used to play NFL 2k1 on dreamcast against my friends, I used Steve McNair to do this all the time, got a minimum 7 yards a pop. Make them commit to clogging the middle and you can gash em on the outside. Not sure if it's risky or not to the health of Petras though. Can't feel good having 4 or 5 300 pounders landing on you.

I do remember those, and I feel like Beathard would be plenty capable of those. Spencer, not so sure.

I do remember those, and I feel like Beathard would be plenty capable of those. Spencer, not so sure.

Even Stanley...dude owns most of the Iowa QB strength and speed testing records. He was far from nifty, but if he just had to run in a straight line and not make anyone miss...

Even Stanley...dude owns most of the Iowa QB strength and speed testing records. He was far from nifty, but if he just had to run in a straight line and not make anyone miss...
Is there anywhere online to see Iowa's strength and speed records? I'm assuming not because they'd be the talk of the boards, rightly so.

Latest posts