Postgame quick takes

uihawk82

Kent St is better than the old Kent St. They have a lot of really good players, their back 7 on D closed fast and they tackled really well. They are said to have some top OLinemen in the MAC, some good runners and a good pass attack.

That being said, except for a few big plays the hawk D really slowed them down. KSU got 260 yards of offense which is about half their usual and only the 7 points on two of their 3 big pass plays. They usually score about 40 a game.

Great game by the LEGIT Iowa D.

Some penalties by Iowa were bad.

Iowa run game looked better but Brian F still runs to the right too many times in critical situations.
The offense was better overall with 420 yards or so.

Why show other teams that Tory Taylor can pass the ball?

The score doesnt look like it but it was almost a 16-14 game late in the 3rd qtr.

Petras played very well, not just good, but above avg with right at 70% completion %age and 8.4 yards per completion. He is still not letting plays develop when he is not pressured early on and throwing earlier than he needs to sometimes. Hard to say if he is coached to hit the first open guy or what.

Few if any drops by the receivers, I dont want to talk about the overturned Tracy catch. About every catchable ball was caught and there was some good YAC.

Moss may have been peeking into the backfield a couple of times but he made big plays later.

Super 95 yard drive right before halftime. Awesome.

D was sleepwalking early, can’t have that in conference. Petras continues to struggle.

Tell me how Petras struggled when he completed 70% of his passes for a good 8.4 yards per catch, 1 TD, ZERO turnovers, he ran the offense and led them on that big 95 yard drive right before halftime.

Right now I see he is above avg, he needs to work on his vision and seeing other receivers, he makes a lot of really good throws and then some head scratchers when he rushes his throws or gets lazy with his feet, hips, and shoulders.

Do you see anything that Petras does pretty well at? And what is he struggling with?

Texas A&M beat a Colorado team by 3 that Minnesota just beat 30-0. I don’t think Kent St. is horrible but it should not have been close at the half.

Very pleased with the performance today, that was a pretty thorough domination of what could potentially be a very good MAC team.

TO margin was +0 today, but we kept a lid on things defensively and showed some signs of life on offense. That was a big concern of mine coming into the game, with us getting some major TO luck in the first couple games, how would we look in a more straight up battle? Pretty good, I thought.

Another poster said it earlier this week, but I thought it was spot on: reps. Lots of good, meaningful reps this week against a team, while being no slouch, was also not a serious threat to actually beat us. You like to see that in an early season non conference match up. Next week against Colorado St should be an absolute pasting - not a lot you can usually glean from such lopsided matches.

Still early, we really don't know what we don't know at this point, but 3-0 with some national attention is a pretty good place to be - I'll take it.

Kent St is better than the old Kent St. They have a lot of really good players, their back 7 on D closed fast and they tackled really well. They are said to have some top OLinemen in the MAC, some good runners and a good pass attack.

That being said, except for a few big plays the hawk D really slowed them down. KSU got 260 yards of offense which is about half their usual and only the 7 points on two of their 3 big pass plays. They usually score about 40 a game.

Iowa run game looked better but Brian F still runs to the right too many times in critical situations.

The score doesnt look like it but it was almost a 16-14 game late in the 3rd qtr.

Petras played very well, not just good, but above avg with right at 70% completion %age and 8.4 yards per completion. He is still not letting plays develop when he is not pressured early on and throwing earlier than he needs to sometimes. Hard to say if he is coached to hit the first open guy or what.

Few if any drops by the receivers, I dont want to talk about the overturned Tracy catch. About every catchable ball was caught and there was some good YAC.

Moss may have been peeking into the backfield a couple of times but he made big plays later.

Excellent quick analysis.

Excellent quick analysis.

Everybody else in top 10 looked worse than IA given their competition. I think we want near perfection every week here.
During the Penn State game earlier they showed a list of scores of "top teams that struggled"

I rewound it and paused it. The Hawks weren't on the list.

If I didn't have 20 years of experience watching KF football and some therapy, that game could have made me mad.

Defense lagged for 2 big plays, one and a half drives. They scored 2 points. The offense made me feel better. Not tons. But better.

We improved. All Areas. Spencer.throws soft catchall ball Now. Great for SCREENS ect. Tracy and #15 should benefit.Push back.8 in box. Need "edge" on offense. O-line improving still creativity only makes things easier.

Going to hold my opinion of The Kent State until after I see what they do this week against a future opponent. Hope they look decent.

Just curious, in your “book” the amount of penalties is the only stat that matters when determining if a team improved or not?

It must be one of those books with very few words and a ton of pictures.
Could be.

But definitey two nothces above your sophomoric coloring book.

Latest posts