Make your case

It's a quandary as old as football itself. Barring injury, QB1 gets all (or nearly all) the reps. Everything is on the table every week for all to see - good an bad.

QB2 is on the sideline with a funny red hat and clipboard for all the meaningful snaps. Is he any good? Who knows. Well, the coaches think they know, because they've been working these guys out and watching every single practice rep each guy's ever logged.

The coaches know a lot more about football than I do, so I'm sticking with Petras.

The whole Christensen/Stanzi thing kind of gums up the works a bit in my logic w/Iowa, but I'm still sticking with Petras.

I've seen Petras make some really, really nice throws. I think he can do it, but we gotta figure out how to get our WRs open on a more consistent basis, otherwise we're going to see a lot more throwaways, eating the ball, and forcing passes to LaPorta.

Mcann/Banks
Christensen/ Stanzi
Ruddock/Bethard

It's not like Iowa has a great track record picking qb1 right away. Bethard was notoriously not a practice player. Stanzi took too many risks. McCann had to have been amazing in practice.

I was thinking this as well, one of them against Iowa State had a guy wiiiiide open, if he would have run to his left and stop/jump pass it would have been a TD for sure. Would love to see this at some point during the year.
I think they must be saving it for a B1G game. The announcers made a big deal about Iowa State's defense knowing what was coming when Goodson was in the wildcat. He's either going to throw it or going to hand it off on a reverse at some point this year.

His QB rating will go way up after the next 2 games. He just finished playing against 2 of the best defenses in the country. Iowa State may not lose again this season and Indiana is very, very good.

Penn State will be a monumental test for Petras. They have a really good defense with some great LBs.

Just my two cents. It's all opinion, but going to Padilla would be a massive mistake. He's just not ready.
I will take that bet on ISU not losing again this season.. I know the Big 12 stinks, but ISU is not good enough to run the table.

I will take that bet on ISU not losing again this season.. I know the Big 12 stinks, but ISU is not good enough to run the table.
Nah. They will lose to Oklahoma. Possibly twice. But out of the rest of the field? Waco's tough to play at in September because of the heat. KState has spoiler juju. Maybe a 35% chance they split those games. Outside of those games that D will carry them.

Nah. They will lose to Oklahoma. Possibly twice. But out of the rest of the field? Waco's tough to play at in September because of the heat. KState has spoiler juju. Maybe a 35% chance they split those games. Outside of those games that D will carry them.

Didn't K-State lose their QB, though? Not sure on that, but I saw him go off with something that looked a lot like an Achilles tear.

in favor of giving Padilla the start vs Kent St.
Yea, that's Kirk's style. The guy is like 8-2, 8 straight wins in his last 10 games and doesn't throw any picks. He's managing the game and BF hasn't had to crank the offense up yet because of the way the first two games went this season.

I mean, why even go there? Couldn't think of anything else to create a thread about to meet your monthly quota???

During our current 8 game winning streak, here are Petras' stats prior to obtaining a 2 score lead:

80/129 (62%), 974 yards (7.55 yds/att), 8 TD, 2 Int (passer rating 142.8)

Here are his stats when Iowa is up by 2+ scores:

36/75 (48%), 365 yds (4.87 yds/att), 1 TD, 0 Int (passer rating 93.3)

Very interesting stats, it makes it look like petras and the offense are playing more wide open and trying to move the ball and score when barely ahead

yet when they get that bigger lead the coaches have them playing a little ore conservative, throwing the ball away more often maybe, runners not exposing the ball as much, fighting for yardage as much and therefore behind behind the chains.

Petras seems to play well when we most need him to.

Maybe this bodes well. The last few series were frustrating. I almost wanted to go outside and kick my neighbors yippy little dog. I get running the clock down, but you gotta have a few first downs to do that, and our run game has looked pretty uninspired. I keep expecting Goodson and the OL to put a series together of 7+ yds per carry and get a late rushing TD to ice the game.

Very interesting stats, it makes it look like petras and the offense are playing more wide open and trying to move the ball and score when barely ahead

yet when they get that bigger lead the coaches have them playing a little ore conservative, throwing the ball away more often maybe, runners not exposing the ball as much, fighting for yardage as much and therefore behind behind the chains.

Petras seems to play well when we most need him to.
Those stats are in half in a game situation where all you want to do is win. This is absolutely on purpose, scientific strangle the life out of the clock and the other team design by Brian. And it's actually pretty genius. You saw that 18-yard out on Saturday, right? Him hitting LaPorta over the linebackers in front of the safeties? Charlie Jones before half. And the throw to the corner of the endzone that Jones dropped,, his foot was in bounds. It isn't that the team can't move the ball when asked to. It isn't that he can't make amazing throws. It's that he doesn't need to in this offense when we're not up very often, and he's been coached not to when we're down. I'd love to see the running back breakdowns across the two score lead, too. Cause I'll bet they aren't fighting for those extra yac. It's just that they're being asked just never to turn it over when ahead. Punting is winning.

The case for making the move now would be we 'should' have 2 cupcakes with Kent St and Colorado State next. It would give Padilla 2 games to get his feet wet with little worry of losing if he struggles.

However.... What if our O can't run the ball on them either and we put him in tough 3rd and longs all the time too? As bad (yes I think Petras has played bad despite not throwing interceptions) as Petras has done it's not all on him. Oline can't consistently get running game going. Receivers aren't getting open too well or catching it when it is put on em.

Iowa is last in the power 5 so far through 2 weeks of overall offense. I mean we all know it's not happening. KF isn't making a change. But it's honestly not the craziest thought ever in the history of crazy. It stinks that we don't have a more obvious better option...
Iowa is last in the power 5 so far through 2 weeks of overall offense.

If our defense had not won both games and we were 0-2, this stat would be reason to give the other QB's some playing time.

Iowa is last in the power 5 so far through 2 weeks of overall offense.

If our defense had not won both games and we were 0-2, this stat would be reason to give the other QB's some playing time. Have played
Few have played what Iowa has played. That said yes their is a problem.

Historically the hawks wont keep a ranking this high. In 2015 they finished with two losses. In 1985 and 1990 or '91 iirc they stumbled or got beat and that happens. It is super hard to go undefeated or end up being ranked in the top 5.

Right now the hawks have not had to have a few late scores to overcome some of their own mistakes. Kent St almost had the score 16-14 late in the 3rd qtr.

The offense will need to get more explosive and more powerful for this team to even end up in the top 10.

Latest posts