Colorado State Game Is 2:30 CT

I think the division would be between people who tailgate and people who either watch on tv or show up just before the game.

If you are into the game day experience in person there’s really no better time than 2:30.

Or if you’re @HuckFinn and all the young people (under 90) yelling and carrying on makes you mad.
I don't mind 11am games when watching at home. Get a win and I can truly relax and enjoy later games involving other teams.

When attending at Kinnick bring on 2:30 (or later) Get the full tailgating experience.

If it's a home game, I go and it is pretty much an all day thing whether it's an 11 am start or 2:30. Like Fry, if it is a road game, I am pretty much watch from11 am on. Like I tell my wife, there are only 12 days per year I get to do this.
My wife already has the bye of October 23 circled on the calendar.

For plenty of yard work. But I can get a lot done around the house even on 11am game days. If I'm up by seven I can start at eight and get a ton of stuff done.

Fry nailed it - if you're a TV guy, 11 is awesome. Wake up Saturday morning and you're already right into the pregame routine.

For tailgaters though? Yeah, that's rough.

I remember being in school at UNI and being out super late on a Friday night after a long night carousing on the hill. Sometimes we'd be out late (i.e. early) enough that we'd see people getting gas, loading up coolers with ice, etc clearly getting ready to make their way down to IC.

Crazy people. I appreciate the enthusiasm but, even for the Hawks, I'm not a morning person.

Normally it’s just a 90 minute drive, on game day 2 hours
I wish I lived that close. I’m 2 hours closer to Minneapolis than IC, and and hour and a half closer to Lincoln.

I have a coworker who was a Hawk fan, but “switched” to the clowns because the tickets were cheaper and it’s only 3 hours from our town. I’d drive ten hours one way before I’d ever root for that wet blanket of a team, and I wouldn’t cheer for them if they were across the street from me.

Eh, obviously more fun for most, we do tailgating in my yard and the 2:30 games get old and long fast. I like 11am games to have my evening with the family. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, i love that we have Tailgating, but people suck sometimes.
as a fan, 2:30 games are better than 11:00.

Too late for this year because all gameday weekends have been sold out since the second they opened this past summer, but y'all should checkout the Courtyard by Marriott right across from Kinnick for games next year. Apparently for a mere $1,000 per night you can wake up right across the street, grab some continental, and stroll over to your tailgate.

Too late for this year because all gameday weekends have been sold out since the second they opened this past summer, but y'all should checkout the Courtyard by Marriott right across from Kinnick for games next year. Apparently for a mere $1,000 per night you can wake up right across the street, grab some continental, and stroll over to your tailgate.

I don’t know, looks like you can get a room this weekend for pretty close to the going rate in town…

9AD85DF7-FF34-440D-8F24-C7B7178AF453.png

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, i love that we have Tailgating, but people suck sometimes.
Kinda part of the deal if you live on Melrose though, I guess.

Assuming from your username….

25 year old me says I’d love to live on Melrose, 41 year old me says no way.

My wife already has the bye of October 23 circled on the calendar.
My buddy and I are gonna hit the Minnesota / Maryland game that weekend. I got tickets on Stubhub for $19 and it’s only 3 hours away. We have a goal of going to all the Big Ten stadiums and haven’t hit that one yet. We decided long ago that we wanted to do it with non-Hawkeye games so we don’t have to stress over the Hawks winning or losing. It’sa lot easier to take everything in and you’re guaranteed to enjoy the trip if you don’t give a shit who wins or loses.

This one is an 11am game so we’ll be home in time for supper

I don’t know, looks like you can get a room this weekend for pretty close to the going rate in town…

View attachment 8057

Huh? I was at a recruiting function there this summer, and someone mentioned they were sold out for every home game weekend at a rate of $1,000 per night. I guess I am a sucker spreading misinformation.

Huh? I was at a recruiting function there this summer, and someone mentioned they were sold out for every home game weekend at a rate of $1,000 per night. I guess I am a sucker spreading misinformation.
I visited the tailgate between the Marriott and Melrose right by the stadium (that's where the peole whose tailgate got displaced by the hotel went), and there were people saying the same thing, $800-1,000 on game weekends, so I'm sure you heard the same thing I did.

The only thing that might be different is that I see all the other weekends are sold out (even CSU next weekend) and this is Kent State, so maybe they're higher...I don't know. I kinda have a hard time thinking they'd sell out a 5 story hotel at $1,000+ per room for Minnesota, Illinois, etc, games, though...

I visited the tailgate between the Marriott and Melrose right by the stadium (that's where the peole whose tailgate got displaced by the hotel went), and there were people saying the same thing, $800-1,000 on game weekends, so I'm sure you heard the same thing I did.

The only thing that might be different is that I see all the other weekends are sold out (even CSU next weekend) and this is Kent State, so maybe they're higher...I don't know. I kinda have a hard time thinking they'd sell out a 5 story hotel at $1,000+ per room for Minnesota, Illinois, etc, games, though...

If they let you do only one night I bet they can. The Sheraton was $5-600 a night with a two night minimum and that was years ago. I'll bet it is worse now. I'd pay it for Saturday night after a home game for sure.

Oh man, pretty hard for me to beat coffee at sunrise. Especially in the early fall. Everything is super still and quiet outside, 50-ish degrees…love it.
The picture I updated my avatar with was taken off my deck at sunrise on Labor Day morning. The temperature was a crisp 59 degrees.

My buddy and I are gonna hit the Minnesota / Maryland game that weekend. I got tickets on Stubhub for $19 and it’s only 3 hours away. We have a goal of going to all the Big Ten stadiums and haven’t hit that one yet. We decided long ago that we wanted to do it with non-Hawkeye games so we don’t have to stress over the Hawks winning or losing. It’sa lot easier to take everything in and you’re guaranteed to enjoy the trip if you don’t give a shit who wins or loses.

This one is an 11am game so we’ll be home in time for supper
We went to the big shoe in Columbus two years ago for Wisconsin-OSU. If I recall it was about an eight hour drive with an hour added going there and one subtracted coming back to allow for the time change.

One of the most putrid scenes in the B1G is the army of Nebraska red that chokes US 151 in eastern Iowa and southwest Wisconsin when the bugeaters play at Wisconsin. It's an endless army of stupidity.

In the next 10-20 years I want to hit all the B1G venues and LSU's Death Valley, Tennessee's Neyland Stadium, Husky Stadium in Seattle and a boatload of others. I got some catching up to do.

I've been to Camp Randall half a dozen times and two of them didn't involve the Hawkeyes. One was vs Northwestern and the other Minnesota. Not the same as having a dog in the fight but very enjoyable and relaxing.

Latest posts