So not to be a negative Nancy....

I think the "stats" are getting blown waaaaaay out of proportion

The defense and special teams has played so damn elite that it's given the offense a very short field to work with. What isn't sustainable is the defense matching the offense in scoring. I personally think our offense is better than the stats show. That being said, the eye test doesn't lie. Those 1 to 2 yard out passes are head scratchers to say the least, esp on 3rd and long. Spencer getting sacked in FG range is not good (somehow that first sack led to the fumble 6 which is crazy). I think we all expected Goodson to struggle stat-wise due to the fact that Petras had to prove he could handle the big time. I think that bomb to CJ showed that Petras might be a little bit better than Stanley. Petras also had a few other nice passes downfield, especially when we needed them. I remember a couple of dropped passes that would have gone for first downs in both the first and second games. Our lack of talent, or depth, or whatever it is at WR is showing IMO.

That being said, the most important players on the team in this order are (my opinion of course):

1. Taylor
2. Jones
3. Linderbaum
4. Petras
5-16. Basically anyone on the defense
17. Goodson

We have the best punter and arguably the best defense in the country. Petras showed me just enough in that game to make me a believer. Go Hawks! Enjoy the ride!

Iowa's starting positions Saturday:

Iowa 25
Iowa 39
Iowa 37
Iowa State 41
Iowa 25
Iowa State 49
Iowa 29
Iowa 10
Iowa State 43
Iowa State 25
Iowa State 22
Iowa 25
Iowa 34
Iowa 49
Iowa 28

That's 7 drives where they basically had less than half the field to deal with.

When the game was truly in doubt and they had normal starting field position, Iowa went 10 plays and 71 yards for a td. That's the only time they actually had to drive the field, and they did, and it looked great.

Coupled with @CP8's before 2+ score lead Petras and after stats - the offense is just doing what Brian is asking them to do. Which is absolutely nothing when up by 2 scores.

I went back and re-watched the first half (haven't gotten to the second half yet). I had kind of forgotten, but during second quarter, this is what transpired:

- Punted the ball down to about the five yard line where Purdy throws the interception to Hankins. Iowa ball at the ISU 49
-We march down the field and score a TD on a mix of pass and run. All of Petras' passes were completions
-We hold ISU and get the ball back on their punt at our 29 yard line. Again, we march down the field with some pinpoint passing again by Petras. I believe he was 4 of 5 on this drive. Also mixed in some nice runs. Drive ends with a perfect pass to CJ for a 26 yard TD.

So in the span of about 10 minutes of the clock, we had two consecutive drives that netted us 120 yards and 14 points. Petras was 7 of 8 on those drives. This started when we were down 3-0 and really needed to step it up and score. We didn't do a lot in the third quarter and then Jacobs strips the ball and Campbell scores and we're up 21-10. And from there, we turned the game over to the defense and basically were looking to eat clock and avoid mistakes.

I wish the stretch like those two drives happened with more consistency but given time, I think we will see more of this type of offense. The turnovers and points off turnovers is not sustainable and everyone knows that. But this offense has the capability to be at least serviceable and score points when the game is in doubt.
I'll take it further. The play calling was far more aggressive in that second quarter span. And the offensive line woke the hell up and pushed some clowns around. An Iowa offense that can get 5+ yards a play on the ground is at least 15.7 times better than an Iowa offense getting 3 yards on the ground.

Iowa came out of halftime ready to let the defense hold for the win. Had they come out looking to aggressively score, I think they could have.

It is almost like KF toggled the aggressive offensive switch on and off a few times in these last 2 games. Hopefully he leaves it on all game sooner than later.

That's what it feels like. We have been spring boarded all the way up to 5 because we played 2 ranked teams compared to nobody else having done so. ISU shouldn't have been ranked so high to start with that's pretty obvious now. Indiana is a borderline top 25ish team. I don't think we should be #5 sorry I don't. Don't get me wrong I like being recognized as such but man I can't with any confidence puff my chest out and say yeah that's what we are.

I can't in good conscious do it when our offense is literally dead last in the power 5 in yards. Do I think we are top 10ish and can beat anyone on any given day? Sure you're damn right. But that goes both ways still due to what I just said too... We can't be surprised if MD popped off a couple big plays gets up 14 to 0 on us and then what? We haven't had to play from behind yet so do we have a snow balls chance of making any kind of comeback being down multiple possessions on about anyone? Tough to argue we do.

Just feels like we are going to get humbly brought back down to earth after getting a seat at the big boys table with a lot of season to go. That's frustrating but hopefully they prove me wrong

We were down 14-0 to Illinois in Champaign last year...won the game 35-14.

That's what it feels like. We have been spring boarded all the way up to 5 because we played 2 ranked teams compared to nobody else having done so. ISU shouldn't have been ranked so high to start with that's pretty obvious now. Indiana is a borderline top 25ish team. I don't think we should be #5 sorry I don't. Don't get me wrong I like being recognized as such but man I can't with any confidence puff my chest out and say yeah that's what we are.

I can't in good conscious do it when our offense is literally dead last in the power 5 in yards. Do I think we are top 10ish and can beat anyone on any given day? Sure you're damn right. But that goes both ways still due to what I just said too... We can't be surprised if MD popped off a couple big plays gets up 14 to 0 on us and then what? We haven't had to play from behind yet so do we have a snow balls chance of making any kind of comeback being down multiple possessions on about anyone? Tough to argue we do.

Just feels like we are going to get humbly brought back down to earth after getting a seat at the big boys table with a lot of season to go. That's frustrating but hopefully they prove me wrong
I mean, technically ISU was up by 3 after the first quarter....

Certainly something amiss when your exciting playmakers on offense thus far are Charlie Jones and Tory Taylor.
I recall La Porta and Goodson making a play or 2 these last few games. Hard to call punting an extension of the offense as it really sets up the defense but regardless, if having a guy who is averaging over 50 yards a punt means things are "amiss" you watch the game very differently than I do.

Certainly something amiss when your exciting playmakers on offense thus far are Charlie Jones and Tory Taylor.
Hard to call punting an extension of the offense as it really sets up the defense but regardless, if having a guy who is averaging over 50 yards a punt means things are "amiss" you watch the game very differently than I do.
There's a reason punters are listed on the defensive depth chart.

Did you know that Iowa has beaten more top 25 teams in a row since 1960 right now?

We are in the middle of a historic run in Iowa history. We're going to start to challenge the all-time win streak of 13 games (I think) (02-03) here. We're at 8 in a row, probably favored to be at 11 in a row by the time we hit PSU. Get on the bandwagon already, and enjoy this. Because it doesn't happen very often, and it will come to an end.

If you can't crow about the Hawks now, you'll never be able to.

We were down 14-0 to Illinois in Champaign last year...won the game 35-14.
True. But we had shown to have had more of an offense going into that game then we have at any point this yr. We had proven WRs ISM, B Smith better Olineman. Not to mention IL was a borderline dumpster fire who's coach was one foot out the door. We shoulda done that to them quite frankly.

However I'll give you this. It's because Petras came out and played so much better in that 2nd half that we should have confidence in him to be capable. He's not incapable of making good throws. He just has to have better situational awareness. Not rush himself. Keep his funtamentals in check. Quit taking sacks on 3rd downs while on the edge of fg range (or at all for that matter) but especially that. When he is under control and sets his feet he's capable of firing the ball right in there like Stanley could. So we'll see..

We are in the middle of a historic run in Iowa history. We're going to start to challenge the all-time win streak of 13 games (I think) (02-03) here.
Easy, killer. I'm 100% enjoying being a Hawk fan right now, but "historic run" is a little overblown.

The offense doesn't look good, but they just played 2 really good defenses. Iowa often times looks inept against good defenses. I'll be worried if the offense doesn't gel over these next few weeks, then we have a problem....otherwise, enjoy that Iowa is 2-0 to start this season and very few people, even eternal sunshine pumpers had them at that.

Did you know that Iowa has beaten more top 25 teams in a row since 1960 right now?

We are in the middle of a historic run in Iowa history. We're going to start to challenge the all-time win streak of 13 games (I think) (02-03) here. We're at 8 in a row, probably favored to be at 11 in a row by the time we hit PSU. Get on the bandwagon already, and enjoy this. Because it doesn't happen very often, and it will come to an end.

If you can't crow about the Hawks now, you'll never be able to.
One can be all in as a fan and still recognize what's right in front of them objectively right? Is that possible? I'm not rooting for Iowa to lose. Far from it. I'm just saying if this offense doesn't start showing some more life and ability to make teams honest that it'll be tough to maintain this run you speak of. I don't care how good a defense is if you're going 3 and out all the time on offense you're asking the defense to do too much.

Don't worry I've enjoyed beating ISU. I've sent out 13 texts and 5 emails since Saturday night to an array of ISU fans rubbing it in. I live for that game and with all the noise ISU fans had been making leading up to that game I have zero remorse giving it to em.

True. But we had shown to have had more of an offense going into that game then we have at any point this yr. We had proven WRs ISM, B Smith better Olineman. Not to mention IL was a borderline dumpster fire who's coach was one foot out the door. We shoulda done that to them quite frankly.

However I'll give you this. It's because Petras came out and played so much better in that 2nd half that we should have confidence in him to be capable. He's not incapable of making good throws. He just has to have better situational awareness. Not rush himself. Keep his funtamentals in check. Quit taking sacks on 3rd downs while on the edge of fg range (or at all for that matter) but especially that. When he is under control and sets his feet he's capable of firing the ball right in there like Stanley could. So we'll see..
I will take 3rd down sacks over 3rd down ints or fumbles any day.

Internet people keep saying Spencer is still making stupid, boneheaded plays, but he is not. He has thrown into double+ coverage maybe 3 times in two games. When he misses, he is missing to places only his targets have a chance to catch it.

Does he still turf one every once in a while, yep - but not at the rate he did last year. Does he miss receivers thst are more open than some he targets. Yep, all QBs do.
But he is not the same QB that came out and lost to PU and NW.

We can only hope the Hawks continue to improve in all phases of the game especially the offense. Keep in mind there are so many factors involved at winning consistently at this level. Injuries can ruin a run if it's coming for the Hawks. Hopefully we miss the injury factor. Once we hit the Big Ten stretch, I think anything can and will happen and I don't see us coming out without a loss in there somewhere.

I've sent out 13 texts and 5 emails since Saturday night to an array of ISU fans rubbing it in. I live for that game and with all the noise ISU fans had been making leading up to that game I have zero remorse giving it to em.
None of my ISU buddies ever give me shit so I feel like a dork dishing it out. It's kind of like nebraska in a way.

Yeah let's look at the running game stats:

After the hawks went up 27-10 early in the 4th qtr I think Iowa had 3 possessions. I think all 3 possessions were 3 and out with very basic runs into a stacked defense. So there are 9 carries there for about 9 net yards.

Now minus out Petras' -23 yards overall on 7 carries

The running backs got 90 yards on 31 carries if my quick math is correct for right at 3 yards per carry which is not great but not bad against two really good defenses. And if you subtract out the run out the clock conservative protect the ball 4th qtr carries you get 21 carries for 80 yards or 4 yards per carry by the running backs.

Again by our running backs without a starting lineman against two tough defenses.

I think the running game will get better which will open up the passing game.

My point is that people are getting hung up on stats. We knew running against ISU would be tough sledding (which I stated). I proceeded to mention that our total yard output is related to our incredibly good field position by defense and special teams. Total yards are hard to come by when you only need to get 10 yards for a fg or 35 for a TD

None of my ISU buddies ever give me shit so I feel like a dork dishing it out. It's kind of like nebraska in a way.
All mine were suspiciously quiet for the last month - as if they didn't want to jinx things. So I haven't felt the need to rub it in. Their continued silence is evidence of more shame than I could ever give them.

The offense doesn't look good, but they just played 2 really good defenses. Iowa often times looks inept against good defenses. I'll be worried if the offense doesn't gel over these next few weeks, then we have a problem....otherwise, enjoy that Iowa is 2-0 to start this season and very few people, even eternal sunshine pumpers had them at that.

7 Signs I'm Overtired (Ode to My Sleep Deprivation)

Time will tell on how good those teams defenses are. For our egos yeah we'd like to hope so. So yeah these next 2 games at home will hopefully give us some more clarity on if our offense can have some pop to it or not .

About 5 of those folks I mentioned are family of mine too so that's always nice. My ISU fan friends are obnoxious... But they sure are quiet now

The hilarious part of this is that none of us know shit about what truly makes an offense or defense "good" or "bad" at this level.

We're literally like a bunch of guys who did a brake job in our driveway one time eight years ago analyzing how an F1 mechanic installs a transmission.

I love sports boards.

Latest posts