Who else isn't sold on Petras still?

Wanna bet, you seriously think these coaches want the worst guy playing QB?
That's always a moot point cuz Kirk isn't going to let us see anyone else except to hand off the ball. It's honestly the only position under Kirk that allows no competition during season and is locked. I already posted that I saw an overcoached QB so afraid to make a bad pass that he literally missed three touchdown passes because he froze. During the press after interviews he didn't even seem to realize how bad he played. Look, Indiana self-destructed namely their QB self-destructed. That won't happen against the road teams we play. Hopefully he relaxes and plays with more confidence because we don't have any say in it and never will.

WAY(!) too early to make a judgment. Sure he had a couple of missed bunnies, how many QBs don't? There were some drops that were on the money as well. I don't think I'd swap his performance for the more hyped Hoosier QB's.

What about Goodson? Take away his big run and he had a pretty underwhelming performance. Anyone picking him apart?

The HAWKS just destroyed a top twenty team. Why not just enjoy it and not bemoan the fact not everyone played their best, they didn't even have to! And think what can happen when they do.
It says more about the O-line than it does Goodson.

I'll still root for him every game, but as far as my expectation of him being a consistent playmaker, nah, don't see it happening.

I mean, it is what it is at this point. Ferentz & Co have a 20+ year track record showing a distinctive MO in QB recruiting and playtime. Game managers, for the most part. The only exceptions I can think of are Banks, Tate, and Stanzi. Everyone else has seemed a lot more interested in not making a negative play than they are in making something happen out of thin air.

We've won a lot games with "game managers" at the helm. Looks like that's what we've got in the new guy. Hope for the D to give us short fields to work with and the run game to be productive.

Seet release. Tired of qbs that have no footwork that doesn't look like a zombie except for the qb draw

I'm just out on the Iowa offense in general. Can you score points(preferably touchdowns) when you have a short field? If they can do that and don't turn the ball over I'm good playing the chess match and trying to win it late.

I am not sure what “sold on Petras” means. I do know that his stats and QB rating were much better than the “best QB in the BT” on Saturday. And, he has helped us win 7 straight BT games and he beat Wisconsin in the process, which has been the demand by posters here for ever and a day.

I am not sure what “sold on Petras” means. I do know that his stats and QB rating were much better than the “best QB in the BT” on Saturday. And, he has helped us win 7 straight BT games and he beat Wisconsin in the process, which has been the demand by posters here for ever and a day.
Yeah, I think it's kind of half a question.

Am I sold on him being the kind of playmaker that regularly makes something out of nothing? No, I think that train has sailed.

Am I sold on him being an effective game manager at the Big Ten level? Yeah, I think he'll continue to do that. Just hope for a salty defense and steady production out of the run game - pretty much the Ferentz era motto.

You people need to just understand that Phil Parker and his defense are what's going to win or lose ballgames this year and probably next.

Petras doesn't suck, he's just average and fortunately he's just good enough to let Phil do his magic.

I never understood why people are so up in arms about defense being a team's main gig. I mean if we had a top five offense and a ho hum defense no one would say a word, but we've got probably a top 5 defense in the nation and you guys are bitching that Petras isn't Ricky Stanzi. Hate to tell you, but if we had a defense as good as ours and Tate or Stanzi as QB...we'd be OSU. And we ain't that.

Enjoy it. We actually have a legit shot at the West and then it'd be OSU which we ain't winning even if we had Stanzi.

You dorks just blow my mind bitching about the offense when we are one dumb hire or bad season away from being the next Purdue or Illinois. We don't have many years left before Kurt Ferentz leaves and after that there's a greater than 50% chance that we sink back down to the late nineties level again. Soak it in while you can.

Well we have the good and the somewhat bad .. but the wins the thing,.. this game is not QB 7s to win or lose if he plays with in himself and plays smart heads up football I think we win! this game, a a lot of games do comes down to Oline play and good tackling!!
I have the strangest feeling Kirk, played it super vanilla, and is kinda fooling isu to sleep with the "oh we can blitz them a lot" game .. if there is one thing we call can hang our hat on is that Kirk can coach the O line! I for one think, isu comes out crazy fired up for one Iowa team, and a completely different team shows up!.. Yes we are always gonna be IOWA runnng the ball ... but I just wonder if the IOWA from the OSU game a few years ago shows up ? call me crazy but I think Kirk is a master of beating over aggressive teams at their own game !
AS ALWAYS, GO HAWKS!
thoughts?

To me and how I mean it is I'm not sure how good he is still. What's his ceiling has he hit it already? Stanley in his first road game at ISU threw for 5 Tds and had some big 3rd down conversions. Now he didn't improve a heck of a lot from there but at his best he could play really well see the OSU game.

So with Petras his best road game so far has been against a crappy IL team going for 220 and 3 tds with no picks. Beyond that and Wisky at home he's been pretty lacklusterish. We've been winning games despite him pretty much not so much because of him. But to his credit he isn't losing games for us either.

Against the better teams you can't hide your QBs in college football. It's what has slowed Wisconsin down at times too. This will be Petras's test this week. We'll see if he can cut the mustard on the road with ISUs nutty ass fan base or not. We can't count on our defense putting up 14 pts week in and week out so he'll have to be better then what he's shown us so far overall.

You people need to just understand that Phil Parker and his defense are what's going to win or lose ballgames this year and probably next.

Petras doesn't suck, he's just average and fortunately he's just good enough to let Phil do his magic.

I never understood why people are so up in arms about defense being a team's main gig. I mean if we had a top five offense and a ho hum defense no one would say a word, but we've got probably a top 5 defense in the nation and you guys are bitching that Petras isn't Ricky Stanzi. Hate to tell you, but if we had a defense as good as ours and Tate or Stanzi as QB...we'd be OSU. And we ain't that.

Enjoy it. We actually have a legit shot at the West and then it'd be OSU which we ain't winning even if we had Stanzi.

You dorks just blow my mind bitching about the offense when we are one dumb hire or bad season away from being the next Purdue or Illinois. We don't have many years left before Kurt Ferentz leaves and after that there's a greater than 50% chance that we sink back down to the late nineties level again. Soak it in while you can.
AMEN

Spot on, well said. I can't say I take every loss with grace and dignity, but I try to consciously keep things in perspective. There are a lot of "turn key" programs out there, but Iowa ain't one of them. All the factors point to Iowa being consistently a bottom 3rd Big Ten team. As far as why we've consistently enjoyed a lot better than that? Two words: Fry and Ferentz.

It seems like whenever Petras gets flushed from the pocket, he never finds someone open. Even the plays he has forever to throw while running towards the sideline he can't ever find someone and ends up throwing it away.
At least two of the times he was flushed from the pocket, he wisely threw the ball away as the two receivers on that side of the field were both double teamed.

I'm not saying bench Petras for anyone else. We are riding or dying with him that's obvious. He's the best we got. I don't think Petras sucks either his numbers just last week woulda been significantly better if not for the drops. What he is is something in between average and being good enough for the team to win against great teams. His ceiling doesn't seem all that high like what Zach Wilsons was. Minus those first two games last year he's been exactly that. Good enough. Eventually he'll be needed to convert some big 3rd and longs against good teams and I suspect this week we'll see some of that. Can he do it? He makes me nervous..

Question is will that be good enough for us to win the west and maybe get in playoffs? Looking at how the west has done so far I'd say yeah nobody is really scaring me so far but we gotta play well to do it. The margin for error slips a lot when your offense is playing within 15 yards of the LOS all the time and QB isn't able to make some plays. I also have questions about our WRs that are all barely 6'0 or less and not very physically imposing. So we have to rely on scheming them open. Making timing and accuracy paramount. Hopefully Petras can make a believer out of me. This game will go a long ways towards doing that..

I didn't watch Iowa's game on Saturday, but I listened to Jeff Woody who is a former ISU player who does some podcasts and he thought Petras played well on Saturday. He certainly wasn't critical of him at all and thought he did exactly what he should have been doing.

Petras fits right in to the Kirk philosophy on QB play. Play within yourself don't turn it over. Could you envision Adrian Martinez as Kirks' QB? No you can't and neither can I. Just don't turn it over Saturday, hit the gimmes, let T Good grind out yards and play solid D. This is the Kirk way. Let Iowa State make the errors

Petras fits right in to the Kirk philosophy on QB play. Play within yourself don't turn it over. Could you envision Adrian Martinez as Kirks' QB? No you can't and neither can I. Just don't turn it over Saturday, hit the gimmes, let T Good grind out yards and play solid D. This is the Kirk way. Let Iowa State make the errors
Does “play within yourself” include not throwing the football to wide open receivers?

Latest posts