Kinnick Stadium Open to Full Capacity

Why is Iowa a dark horse to win the West? By just about every prediction I have seen, Iowa is either picked to win or come in second. I have high expectations, and believe we should be considered the favorite to win given last season and what we have coming back.
You new to this whole Hawkeye fan thing?

Congrats. I'm assuming you had to go traditional rather than the mobile pass?

Yeah, I was too gun shy purchasing those tickets plus I didn't have the money at the time. But I got season tickets in section 333 for $335 per ticket, which isn't bad (there really isn't a bad seat in Kinnick). I'll be all over those mobile passes next year, if they continue it. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been too Kinnick so I'm really excited. Any parking suggestions you experts have are appreciated, I used to do the train.

Yeah, I was too gun shy purchasing those tickets plus I didn't have the money at the time. But I got season tickets in section 333 for $335 per ticket, which isn't bad (there really isn't a bad seat in Kinnick). I'll be all over those mobile passes next year, if they continue it. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been too Kinnick so I'm really excited. Any parking suggestions you experts have are appreciated, I used to do the train.
The mobile passes sold out way fast. I think that’s going to be the thing of the future as traditional season tickets (with donations) slowly go the way of the dinosaur.

Back when I first mentioned on here that I was considering the mobile pass I made my decision and went on the website to order. Entered qty 4 and it came back as not available, then entered qty 2 not available, and when I entered qty 1 it finally let me order.

I needed 4 so I called into the ticket office and the rep was able to get me that many but he said their quota was about full. If I remember right they were totally sold out a couple days later. I asked the guy if they were a hot item and he said they were selling like hot cakes, and off the record he told me as older folks opt out the younger crowd is moving toward the mobile pass. Thinks it’s going to eat up a huge share of season tickets going forward. I’m sure the price will go up as that happens but obviously it won’t ever go as high as traditional tix with points, etc.

I for one think it’s an awesome deal. 2 season tickets for $550 out the door, transferable with just a screenshot and text message, and I don’t give a shit where I sit for the most part. I’ve sat in every part of the stadium from 1st row on the home side 40YL all the way up to the top row in the corners, and there’s really not a bad seat in the house.

You new to this whole Hawkeye fan thing?
My point was that I fail to see how a consensus pre-season Top 25 team could be considered a dark horse to win one of the weakest divisions in major college football. Wisconsin seems like the favorite, but Iowa is not some unknown team whose ascension would shock the world like Indiana last year.

Dark horse: "a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds."

Purdue or Nebraska yes. Iowa. No.

My point was that I fail to see how a consensus pre-season Top 25 team could be considered a dark horse to win one of the weakest divisions in major college football. Wisconsin seems like the favorite, but Iowa is not some unknown team whose ascension would shock the world like Indiana last year.

Dark horse: "a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds."

Purdue or Nebraska yes. Iowa. No.
You may be underselling the West as one of the weakest divisions a little. I think it's gotten pretty competitive lately with Wisky IA and Northwestern all battling. But I get that's kinda besides the point. I agree Iowa may be a dark horse to win the whole thing but not the West. If any of those 3 I mentioned in the West were to win it there'd be no real surprise with that. But yeah if Nebraska somehow magically did then that would absolutely fall into that category.

I saw they hired Trev Alberts today and he mentioned something about how Nebraska "RARELY" makes excuses..... I about spit out my coffee when I read that.

You may be underselling the West as one of the weakest divisions a little. I think it's gotten pretty competitive lately with Wisky IA and Northwestern all battling. But I get that's kinda besides the point. I agree Iowa may be a dark horse to win the whole thing but not the West. If any of those 3 I mentioned in the West were to win it there'd be no real surprise with that. But yeah if Nebraska somehow magically did then that would absolutely fall into that category.

I saw they hired Trev Alberts today and he mentioned something about how Nebraska "RARELY" makes excuses..... I about spit out my coffee when I read that.
Nebraska makes excuses only on days ending in the letter "Y"

I’m guessing that without the train there’s going to be a gigantic clusterfuck of such epic proportions the first week, that the U is going to have to implement some sort of national emergency-level thing to quell the week 2 riots.

Followed by the reintroduction of the train and Farta saying it wasn't his idea to get rid of it.

Seriously though, I think they're underestimating the size of the crowd that rode that thing every week. It's not so evident on the arrival side because people are making their way spread out over different times, but at the end of the game it's a fucking huge pile of people waiting to get on.
Let's say for argument sake, there are 3000 people riding the train.
Let's say there are four to a vehicle.
That would be 750 cars now needing a place to park.
Hancher could probably swallow 30% of that?
That leaves 525 vehicles needing to park. Good luck with that.

I think I'll moonlight as an Uber driver this year!

I would’ve estimated even more than 3,000 myself but who knows. It’s a lot.

My kid and I rode it to and from just about every game.

I didn’t want to mess with walking a long ways or hoping I can find an open spot, so I just spent the money on a private spot. Got some other buddies in the area so oh well. It’s only money I guess…….

It's weird that when I got my confirmation email there wasn't any mention of parking. Has anybody heard anything? I used to do the train and with that no longer being an option it's going to be a mess.

Holy shit, I just pulled up a map to look at the walk from Hancher and it looks sub-optimal. Did they build a motel on the land where we used to tailgate? That sucks.

In looking at the overhead map, I see no way they can fix this issue other than moving Finkbine out past 218. There's no other decent land available. You could slap up a bunch of stuff where Finkbine is right now.

Holy shit, I just pulled up a map to look at the walk from Hancher and it looks sub-optimal. Did they build a motel on the land where we used to tailgate? That sucks.

In looking at the overhead map, I see no way they can fix this issue other than moving Finkbine out past 218. There's no other decent land available. You could slap up a bunch of stuff where Finkbine is right now.
Alas, the nice 3-area grassy knolls off of Melrose were cemented over two years ago. Ron had to move further down Melrose (toward Finkbine) in order to find a spot. On concrete...shoe-horned in. Suxx. The entire area around Kinnick sans the Train is going to suck.

I reached out to the ticket office about parking. You can get a season parking pass for $100. They have availability in Ramp 4, Lot 3 (library), Myrtle Lot, or Lot 65 (which I assume is Finkbine?).

Ramp 4 is almost across the street from Kinnick but getting out of that ramp after the game is a bitch and tailgating wouldn't be all that fun. Library looks intriguing since it won't be far from my sons dorm, I'm guessing there is tailgating going on. I know tailgating goes on in Finkbine, I've parked there before. The walk from Lot 3 and Lot 65 are about the same, so I'm leaning towards the library. Does anyone know if that lot is fairly easy to get in and out of, from the maps it looks easy. The walk doesn't bother me, by the time my car has moved down 1 level in that ramp I'll be at my car in either Finkbine or Library.

I reached out to the ticket office about parking. You can get a season parking pass for $100. They have availability in Ramp 4, Lot 3 (library), Myrtle Lot, or Lot 65 (which I assume is Finkbine?).

Ramp 4 is almost across the street from Kinnick but getting out of that ramp after the game is a bitch and tailgating wouldn't be all that fun. Library looks intriguing since it won't be far from my sons dorm, I'm guessing there is tailgating going on. I know tailgating goes on in Finkbine, I've parked there before. The walk from Lot 3 and Lot 65 are about the same, so I'm leaning towards the library. Does anyone know if that lot is fairly easy to get in and out of, from the maps it looks easy. The walk doesn't bother me, by the time my car has moved down 1 level in that ramp I'll be at my car in either Finkbine or Library.
Myrtle lot was always one of my favorites to tailgate, but I always left my car there until Sunday so not sure how bad it is getting out after a game, probably better than some I imagine. I had a friend that did the Library lot and he always tailgated there. It's not popping like other places but not too bad getting in and out, lot of people walking that direction though would be the worst part.

Myrtle lot was always one of my favorites to tailgate, but I always left my car there until Sunday so not sure how bad it is getting out after a game, probably better than some I imagine. I had a friend that did the Library lot and he always tailgated there. It's not popping like other places but not too bad getting in and out, lot of people walking that direction though would be the worst part.

Is there still parking at the softball fields? When I would go over with my buddy from Chicago and we were just doing a quick in, quick out trip that lot seemed to be the best. You could get to the car and be out to 80 via 1st Ave and not hit any game traffic at all. This dude had a reserved KC lot spot and we still parked at the softball lot just because getting out of the KC lot was such an ordeal. If I lived in Neck Moines, CR, QC, IC, North Lib or somewhere close I would definitely park there and tailgate for 2 hours after the game, but if you have to drive back to Chicago and then sit in nutpunch traffic for an hour on the back end, it just ain't worth trying to fight the traffic out of the KC lot.

Is there still parking at the softball fields? When I would go over with my buddy from Chicago and we were just doing a quick in, quick out trip that lot seemed to be the best. You could get to the car and be out to 80 via 1st Ave and not hit any game traffic at all. This dude had a reserved KC lot spot and we still parked at the softball lot just because getting out of the KC lot was such an ordeal. If I lived in Neck Moines, CR, QC, IC, North Lib or somewhere close I would definitely park there and tailgate for 2 hours after the game, but if you have to drive back to Chicago and then sit in nutpunch traffic for an hour on the back end, it just ain't worth trying to fight the traffic out of the KC lot.
I believe that's still used for parking and tailgating but I'm an east sider and never really get over there.

I found a good link that seems to be recent - still includes the softball lot:

https://www.tailgaterconcierge.com/tailgater-guide-university-of-iowa/

The University makes it relatively easy to tailgate on-campus parking lots. You’ll need passes from the UI Athletics Ticket Office, and they’re cheaper if you get them in advance. Some of the most suggested parking areas for tailgaters include:

• Myrtle Avenue Lot (Lot 48)
  • Main Library Lot (Lot 3)
  • Finkbine Golf Course (Lot 65 and the lower Finkbine lot)
  • Softball Fields lot
  • Campus Recreation and Wellness Lot (Lot 11)

Any of you needlephobic bastards better get vaxxed so 1) we actually have full capacity and 2) I don't have to wear a goddamn mask. Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to sip chilled Patron through a goddamn mask?

Look, while I'd relish the opportunity to beat down antivaxxer assholes, I'd rather just enjoy myself.
Don't do it again.

I believe that's still used for parking and tailgating but I'm an east sider and never really get over there.

I found a good link that seems to be recent - still includes the softball lot:

https://www.tailgaterconcierge.com/tailgater-guide-university-of-iowa/

The University makes it relatively easy to tailgate on-campus parking lots. You’ll need passes from the UI Athletics Ticket Office, and they’re cheaper if you get them in advance. Some of the most suggested parking areas for tailgaters include:

• Myrtle Avenue Lot (Lot 48)
  • Main Library Lot (Lot 3)
  • Finkbine Golf Course (Lot 65 and the lower Finkbine lot)
  • Softball Fields lot
  • Campus Recreation and Wellness Lot (Lot 11)
We ended up going with a private lot down by Myrtle. Have a few buddies in the area and splitting the cost two ways made it not so bad. The one thing they have that I like is porta pots.

Also we live 5 hours away and might come in at different times so it'll be nice having a guaranteed spot.

We ended up going with a private lot down by Myrtle. Have a few buddies in the area and splitting the cost two ways made it not so bad. The one thing they have that I like is porta pots.

Also we live 5 hours away and might come in at different times so it'll be nice having a guaranteed spot.

Aw hell....I didn't even think to ask about porta potties! I ended up going with Lot 3, they better have them.