Iowa Football History in AP Poll: Victories vs. No. 19

Hope you don’t mind that I took the liberty of posting this here for you. I just wanted to add a simple and brief comment after reading your article. Thanks for writing the article by the way. It was a fun read.

The two plays that I will remember most from that season is the Wisconsin fumble that you mentioned, but even more was the extreme fluke interception by Michigan State where we were driving deep into their territory and had a very high probability of getting at least three points on a field goal.

To this very day I still just shake my head how that pass was broken up and landed on a players back and just sat there. Then for the Michigan State player to be alert enough and aware enough to realize the ball hadn’t touched the ground yet and go over and grab it off of the players back. Absolute fluke play.

I still cuss today thinking about it.

Last edited:
Hope you don’t mind that I took the liberty of posting this here for you. I just wanted to add a simple and brief comment after reading your article. Thanks for writing the article by the way. It was a fun read.

The two plays that I will remember most from that season is the Wisconsin fumble that you mentioned, but even more was the extreme fluke interception by Michigan State where we were driving deep into their territory and had a very high probability of getting at least three points on a field goal.

To this very day I still just shake my head how that pass was broken up and landed on a players back and just sat there. Then for the Michigan State player to be alert enough and aware enough to realize the ball hadn’t touched the ground yet and go over and grab it off of the players back. Absolute fluke play.

I still cuss today thinking about it.

If they had review for targeting back then, we would have had first and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line.

There is a typo in the article that renders the whole thing invalid.

"No. 20 Iowa 40, No. 19 Minnesota 22, Iowa City, Dec. 15, 2003"

This game was played on November 15, not December 15. It was a fantastic game. Minnesota had Maroney and Barber and our defense just utterly crushed them. It was a classic Norm Parker effort. And O'Keefe called a masterful game (as usual) as well.

Latest posts