Iowa's Mobile Pass

Would be fun to not be jaded again. First game as a kid was in 74 when I one tickets on WHO pickem. I knew I was close but was afraid I'd get the grand prize, which was a weekend in MSPL or a radio (already had one). The tickets were to Iowa IL where on fourth and goal from the eight-yard line Rob Fick hit Eddie Donovan on a screen pass winning score with seventeen seconds to play. Was already a Hawk fan, but that sealed it (3 wins). One of my relatives was a play by play for one of the big radio stations which also helped as I thought that was cool.
The first game is always the best.

I’m actually becoming less jaded as I get older. It’s just more fun.

One of the things about season tickets that appeals to me is I’ll be forced not to participate in game threads here.

Yep 20’s all done and it’s by far the fastest way to IC from NW Iowa now.

The only problem is there isn’t a good quick way to get to 20 from up here. It’s either L36 through Marcus to Correctionville (which is what I take), or Hwy 59 to Holstein which is kinda janky.

But yeah, once you get on 20 you don’t have to hit the brakes till you get there if you have enough gas. I cut down 35 to Des Moines for one of the directions (depending on game time) because we like to stay in Newton to break up either the drive there or drive back.
Highway 20 being expanded to four lanes is a godsend for anyone trying to get to Iowa City from northwest Iowa.

I knew a handful of people in college who were from Sioux City. Back then you're options were I 80 all the way to Council Bluffs and the I 29 north, dealing with a two lane highway 20, or cutting across on state route 141.

Anyone know if Highway 141 still exists? And along this vien highway 151 in eastern Iowa and southwest Wisconsin has been manna from heaven for people in this part of the Midwest. Just last weekend we zipped over to Marquette University in Milwaukee for a summer high school basketball tournament and it only took about 2.5 hours.

Would never have been possible in the 80's or 90's, not in 2.5 hours. Anyone remember trying to go to an Iowa-Wisconsin game in Madison back in those days? You could sit at the stop sign at the top of the hill in Dickeyville for fifteen minutes, among other things. Game traffic could be backed up twenty five vehicles deep. And it was at that stop sign where Iowa's team busses got egged in a famous incident in 1997.

Highway 20 being expanded to four lanes is a godsend for anyone trying to get to Iowa City from northwest Iowa.

I knew a handful of people in college who were from Sioux City. Back then you're options were I 80 all the way to Council Bluffs and the I 29 north, dealing with a two lane highway 20, or cutting across on state route 141.

Anyone know if Highway 141 still exists? And along this vien highway 151 in eastern Iowa and southwest Wisconsin has been manna from heaven for people in this part of the Midwest. Just last weekend we zipped over to Marquette University in Milwaukee for a summer high school basketball tournament and it only took about 2.5 hours.

Would never have been possible in the 80's or 90's, not in 2.5 hours. Anyone remember trying to go to an Iowa-Wisconsin game in Madison back in those days? You could sit at the stop sign at the top of the hill in Dickeyville for fifteen minutes, among other things. Game traffic could be backed up twenty five vehicles deep. And it was at that stop sign where Iowa's team busses got egged in a famous incident in 1997.
I just wish we had a north/south 4 lane that would get us to 20.

Highway 60 was expanded to 4 lanes about 15 years ago but that runs diagonally the wrong way.

Anyone know if Highway 141 still exists?
I think it's still there. I ain't been out that way in quite some time, but the last time I was there 141 at least out of Johnston was 4 lanes until at least out past Granger and it was really getting built up. I remember before they put Beaver Creek golf course in there was absolutely nothing but pristine farmland out there. I think I remember 141 being a 2 lane road back in the late '80's.

For some reason when I read this thread title I was thinking we were going to start rolling the QB out of the pocket more and maybe scramble some

Would be fun to not be jaded again. First game as a kid was in 74 when I one tickets on WHO pickem. I knew I was close but was afraid I'd get the grand prize, which was a weekend in MSPL or a radio (already had one). The tickets were to Iowa IL where on fourth and goal from the eight-yard line Rob Fick hit Eddie Donovan on a screen pass winning score with seventeen seconds to play. Was already a Hawk fan, but that sealed it (3 wins). One of my relatives was a play by play for one of the big radio stations which also helped as I thought that was cool.
First game for me was the Iowa vrs UCLA. Huge advantage to being at that game over TV was that you knew by watching the entire defense that Iowa had full control of the game. Andre T was in their backfield almost every play. It was one of those games that you didn’t mind Iowa kick the ball on fourth down because Iowa’s had control of their offense and you got to watch Reggie R kick the air out of the ball. I’ve never seen a punter like that before or since.

Latest posts