What is the skinny on the QB position after spring ball?

uihawk82

Did Petras solidify his starting spot? Was he showing improvement with some touch and accuracy? It seems he likes to execute the down the sideline throws and short passes to the running backs and sidelines more than the over the middle passes. So is he throwing more types of passes better?

What about the other QBs, did any of them take a big step forward and catch Petras?

Many thought Padilla looked good on the tape of the spring practice. Or least his passes looked the most accurate, while Petras still seemed to have the same control issues as last year.

However if you ask others, they will tell you that Petras clearly looked like the #1 guy and was the best at running the offense.

Seem to be agreement that Duece still has some learning to do.

I went to the April practice and Petras looked to be the best guy out there but Padilla wasn’t far behind at all. Padilla moves better but he’s ridiculously short and he seemed to lock in on one guy instead of making reads imo. That’s an experience thing.

Hogan looked like he was in over his head big time.

With free agency legal now you’re gonna see one of those two guys leave.

We all know with Kirk the starter gets a head start in the competition. Petras would need to look terrible to lose his spot.

We all know with Kirk the starter gets a head start in the competition. Petras would need to look terrible to lose his spot.
He hasn't looked great in the two videos provided. Whether it's bad enough to lose the job or have a real competition, we'll see.

I just hope Duece is self aware enough to know that he is well behind the two veterans and not get an itchy trigger finger thinking he is better than the guys in front of him and decide to jump. There is nothing wrong with sticking with a commitment and letting your skills and talent develop and then winning the job 1-2 years down the road. I fear this generation of athletes largely lacks that perspective though.

From the Saturday tape it appeared to me that none of the QBs had much time in the pocket. I don't quite know what to make of that -- is it a result of starting OLinemen being injured and not playing? Is the DLine is better than expected? Are all the QBs just hurrying their throws when they don't need to? Or some mixture of All of the Above? You can't help but be disappointed with how Petras looked on Saturday's tape. And if our OLine is not going to be able to provide any protection in the pocket, Padilla is certainly able to respond to that with his legs better than Petras. One of the biggest frustrations from Iowa's offensive coaches over the years is why they don't install specific plays/schemes for a couple different QBs who have different skill sets. Yes, it takes valuable practice time to install those plays; but it also makes the opponent use valuable practice time each week having to prepare for multiple QBs.

From the Saturday tape it appeared to me that none of the QBs had much time in the pocket. I don't quite know what to make of that -- is it a result of starting OLinemen being injured and not playing? Is the DLine is better than expected? Are all the QBs just hurrying their throws when they don't need to? Or some mixture of All of the Above? You can't help but be disappointed with how Petras looked on Saturday's tape. And if our OLine is not going to be able to provide any protection in the pocket, Padilla is certainly able to respond to that with his legs better than Petras. One of the biggest frustrations from Iowa's offensive coaches over the years is why they don't install specific plays/schemes for a couple different QBs who have different skill sets. Yes, it takes valuable practice time to install those plays; but it also makes the opponent use valuable practice time each week having to prepare for multiple QBs.
You also tend to keep your back-up QBs happier and less likely to transfer if you give them a package here and there in critical games, instead of them just waiting for injury and mop up duties. I 100% agree that most coaches make a mistake by only playing one QB. Its antiquated thinking.

I feel like in the two open practices we've seen, there has been so many guys on the OL and DL that were out, it probably didn't allow for the most accurate picture of how the QBs have been doing. From what I've read so far, it seems to be Petras with Padilla right there and Hogan a distant 3rd.

You also tend to keep your back-up QBs happier and less likely to transfer if you give them a package here and there in critical games, instead of them just waiting for injury and mop up duties. I 100% agree that most coaches make a mistake by only playing one QB. Its antiquated thinking.
Especially with Iowa's record of their starting QB never getting seriously injured. I read somewhere last week that Iowa's starting QBs have had 1 missed start over the past 11 years, or some crazy stat like that.

Especially with Iowa's record of their starting QB never getting seriously injured. I read somewhere last week that Iowa's starting QBs have had 1 missed start over the past 11 years, or some crazy stat like that.
Way to complete screw us. Now we will be down to starting a true freshman walk-on by the end of the season.

Hmmm...
My memory is not perfect but let's check it out.

Petras missed no starts in his 1 year as starter
Stanley missed no starts in 3 years
Beathard missed no starts in 2 years
Rudock missed at least 1 start in 2 years that I can remember when Beathard started against Pitt.
JVB missed no starts in 2 years that I can remember
Stanzi missed no starts in his last year (and missed 2 starts in his 2nd last year, but that was 12 years ago)

So, yup, unless I am forgetting some missed starts by the Iowa QB, that makes just 1 missed start in the last 11 years.

Way to complete screw us. Now we will be down to starting a true freshman walk-on by the end of the season.

"Joey Jabroni walked onto this team as a fourth string punter whose only skill was to plant a coffin kick where the line of scrimmage is the 30 inside the 2 yard line every single time. That is a very valuable tool for Ferentz because he likes to punt in that situation. But this kid walked on, he's only suited up for 2 home games, never complains in practice and he's the hardest working guy on the team. Well, when Iowa had 5 QBs go down to injuries, Ferentz asked for a show of hands of guys who had been under center in the past 12 months and Jabroni's hand was the only one to go up because he played QB in high school. And here he is, starting his first ever game in Madison, Wisconsin."

Kapisak has entered the transfer portal meaning 2 things:

1. Duece is officially #3.
2. Grady has awakened a new old god to terrorize us. Way to go Grady.

That fat punch bowl turd Fatty Pitz and his uncalled face mask says oh hai.