3 46.2%
while POY gets all the attention.

Next year...
19.5 ppg
7.7 rpg
FG 55%
FT 82%
3 46%
while being other team’s primary focus. And develop average plus ball handling skills.

IMO the 23 year old is probable 1st round...with guaranteed contract. The 22 year old is a possible 2nd round and playing G League.

Side Note - Corey Kispert gambled on himself and went from 1st Team All Conference to 1st Team AA.

Or he is a guy that gets exposed as someone who has already peaked at the collegiate level. JW is at the point of no return, where NBA scouts stop looking at potential upside and start nitpicking on what you can't do.

In theory your argument makes a ton of sense, but in reality the league doesn't work that way. And imo, that's why he is gone.

Or he is a guy that gets exposed as someone who has already peaked at the collegiate level. JW is at the point of no return, where NBA scouts stop looking at potential upside and start nitpicking on what you can't do.

In theory your argument makes a ton of sense, but in reality the league doesn't work that way. And imo, that's why he is gone.
It's not just about whether you've reached your ceiling or not. At some point you also have to factor in whether or not the ceiling you have is worth leaving for. His ceiling is probably in line with White, Jok, Uthoff, Marble, and Cook. If I enjoyed college, I would never leave early to get a jump start on the professional careers they have. Thats just me tho. Everyone I listed thought like me except Cook.

Yup. He's not magically going to be able to run significantly faster, jump higher, handle the ball better etc etc etc. His game pretty much is what it is. Other BIG coaches have a boat load of tape on him too and will frustrate him by trying to take away things he likes to do more of. I think all of that along with being engaged is just a lot of logical reasons for a guy to go start making money.

I don't even think an incremental increase in stats next year because he'd get more touches would mean he'd get higher grade by the NBA. Not if his game is pretty much the same. It just means he's getting more touches/shots and overall volume

Yup. He's not magically going to be able to run significantly faster, jump higher, handle the ball better etc etc etc. His game pretty much is what it is. Other BIG coaches have a boat load of tape on him too and will frustrate him by trying to take away things he likes to do more of. I think all of that along with being engaged is just a lot of logical reasons for a guy to go start making money.

I don't even think an incremental increase in stats next year because he'd get more touches would mean he'd get higher grade by the NBA. Not if his game is pretty much the same. It just means he's getting more touches/shots and overall volume
It’s totally up to Joe. I’m fine with whatever he decides. But he’s improved noticeably every year. There’s no reason to think he won’t continue to get better. He can definitely make more than incremental improvements in ball handling and free throw shooting.

So..what is Weisy's plan? Does he declare and attend the combine in June and see where he stands? He can come back if he attends the combine and goes undrafted.

https://247sports.com/Article/2021-...of-college-players-declaring-early-162966399/
I assume this is his plan. There’s no downside. And it’s why I’m not worried about him leaving.

I’m guessing he will learn he’s not going to be drafted. He has to improve his handles. He has to make free throws. I don’t think he will be told to enter the draft or choose another career path because the NBA won’t take you at 23.

I assume this is his plan. There’s no downside. And it’s why I’m not worried about him leaving.

I’m guessing he will learn he’s not going to be drafted. He has to improve his handles. He has to make free throws. I don’t think he will be told to enter the draft or choose another career path because the NBA won’t take you at 23.

Looking at that list of players who have declared, gonna be a lot of disappointed people.

It’s totally up to Joe. I’m fine with whatever he decides. But he’s improved noticeably every year. There’s no reason to think he won’t continue to get better. He can definitely make more than incremental improvements in ball handling and free throw shooting.
The FT shooting I'll most certainly give ya. He was head scratchingly below what he's capable of in that department. He really struggled with that this year but I don't suspect that'd continue at whatever level he plays at next yr. He's too good a shooter for that.
Ball handling is something he'd have to really buckle down on. It's not impossible though you're right he could improve at it too.

Looking at that list of players who have declared, gonna be a lot of disappointed people.

I am just a knucklehead fan giving my opinion so I hope everyone is taking it fwiw.

However....Howe, Miller, Dochterman,Kakert, Morehouse have all stated that they would be surprised if he came back.

Kakert last week said that JW was in Vegas training.

I am not going to be disappointed if he comes back I have no issue giving money to the children’s hospital. My perspective is from how NBA teams/scouts look at potential “assets”.

Last edited:
I am just a knucklehead fan giving my opinion so I hope everyone is taking it fwiw.

However....Howe,Miller, Dochterman,Kakert Morehouse have all stated that they would be surprised if he came back.

Kakert last week said that JW was in Vegas training.

I am not going to be disappointed if he comes back I have no issue giving money to the children’s hospital. My perspective is from how NBA teams/scouts look at potential “assets”.
The world is different. Kids look at the G league differently then they did even 4 or 5 yrs ago. It's more of a stepping stone bridge then before for some guys (like it was intended to be) Between kids that just don't want to be in college more then a yr to guys like JW that have been there 3 yrs and want to move on it's an option. Along with the world being a smaller place and Europe being a legit option. Going to college for 4 plus years isn't for everyone it's just not and that's ok.

The world is different. Kids look at the G league differently then they did even 4 or 5 yrs ago. It's more of a stepping stone bridge then before for some guys (like it was intended to be) Between kids that just don't want to be in college more then a yr to guys like JW that have been there 3 yrs and want to move on it's an option. Along with the world being a smaller place and Europe being a legit option. Going to college for 4 plus years isn't for everyone it's just not and that's ok.

100%

Imo, 5-10 years ago it would be a no brainer for Joe to stay...not now. You can go to the G league to work on your handle and free throws while getting paid and doing it against better competition. Matt Thomas used the G league to get to the NBA. Need to check, but I believe Duncan Robinson did as well.

As for not declaring I think he is doing it just to keep his options open. No need to declare until you have too.

We all know if he does come back it’s only for a year. Will he be focused/conflicted? Connor will be a 5th year senior...could play 2 more due to COVID. But the rest of the current roster plus our 2 freshmen will be together the next 3 to 4 years. I’m fine with the young guys starting to write their own story.

100%

Imo, 5-10 years ago it would be a no brainer for Joe to stay...not now. You can go to the G league to work on your handle and free throws while getting paid and doing it against better competition. Matt Thomas used the G league to get to the NBA. Need to check, but I believe Duncan Robinson did as well.

As for not declaring I think he is doing it just to keep his options open. No need to declare until you have too.
For sure great examples. Tyler Cook had been there for awhile the last couple yrs too and now he's in Detroit on a 2 yr deal I think after having multiple 10 day contracts in the league. For a guy I thought was a tweener who's closer to 6'7 then the 6'9 he was always listed at he's done pretty well. I was pessimistic about his NBA chances but good for him.

And no doubt there's no rush for JW. Fran might wish he'd make up his mind just for being able to have that spot open to replace him with but by no means would he push him privately or publicly to do so. He's on his own timeline.

He was one of the 3 best Refs on the country as he reffed the national championship game. Iowa fans amaze me you people bitch about the refs more then anyone. There always an easy escape goat because most people wont bash you for complaining about them over a player or coach. And still amazes me Iowa fans bitch about the refs ev
Here's what I think of when I think of an escape goat:

1618433024763.png

Fran just announced that JW will enter the draft, get good feedback, and then make his decision. Smart, Joe.
It’s a great way to get people off his back about it for now. It’s a way that you can 1) not answer the question, and 2) keep people from asking all the time since you’ve set somewhat of a deadline.

It also still leaves some ambivalence as well because there’s no hard date right after the draft that he needs to stick to.

Well played.

This year...
14.8 ppg
6.6 rpg
FG 49.1%
FT 67.7%
3 46.2%
while POY gets all the attention.

Next year...
19.5 ppg
7.7 rpg
FG 55%
FT 82%
3 46%
while being other team’s primary focus. And develop average plus ball handling skills.

IMO the 23 year old is probable 1st round...with guaranteed contract. The 22 year old is a possible 2nd round and playing G League.

Side Note - Corey Kispert gambled on himself and went from 1st Team All Conference to 1st Team AA.
No. and odds of JW shooitng 46% from 3 again without the best center in college basketball getting all the attention is highly unlikely IMO.

JW had a breakout year this year and shot ball about as good as you could from deep.

He risks an injury and/or his shooting % going down simply bc supporting cast won't be nearly as good.

23 year olds just don't get drafted in the first RD...It is very rare. Unless you have Elite measurables and are Elite.

Latest posts