Austin Blythe signs with Chiefs

Zstatman

Saw this tweet this morning:

Austin Blythe
@ABlythe63

What a thing to come full circle and play for the team I grew up watching. Let's get to work!!

This was followed by a pic of the Chiefs but I'm not very good at brining pics over from twitteer so I didn't try.

from google:

Austin Blythe is an American football center for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League. He played college football at Iowa, and was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft. He has also played for the Los Angeles Rams.

Great for him, always a good opportunity to play ball in the league.

The thing that kinda boggles my mind is why he left the Rams. From what I've read it sounded like they wanted to keep him and he was making bank. Made $2M in '19 and $4M in 2020 and got 100% playing time. Chiefs only gave him a 1 year, $990K deal with a $760K playing time bonus that goes away if he's hurt.

I have to think he would get a multi-year deal way bigger than that from the Rams. I guess snapping the ball to Mahomes is worth a bunch of money.

Now they just need to get Brandon Scherff to come on home. I can't imagine he likes being out in DC with that dumpster fire of a franchise. Dude is getting paid big bucks though so I suppose that makes it tolerable. I just wonder if he'd ever get to be a true FA and not franchise tagged what he'd do.

I think the Blythe family his folks have a big house at the Ozarks in Osage Beach. I've heard of them being down there years ago while he was still at Iowa.

I'll bet it's a life style decision. In his twttier photo there a couple kids. I don't know anything about his wife but if she's from Iowa she's closer to family. Maybe there is the Ozark angle.

I looked at his twitter profile again and it says he's the co owner of a hunting club located around Parnell, IA. It seems there are sufficient reasons to take a pay cut to live closer to home and play for the team you grew up a fan of. I grew up a Chiefs fan but I lived in SW Iowa. I thought everyone in eastern Iowa was a Bears fan.......

Here's a link to the hunting club:

Now they just need to get Brandon Scherff to come on home. I can't imagine he likes being out in DC with that dumpster fire of a franchise.
Scherff is a great story.

He lives in Rock Valley (where his wife is from) which is 20 mins from me. He's back here pretty much anytime football isn't going on and you see the guy quite a bit even during the season. I'd say he spends WAY more time in Sioux County than he ever does in DC.

His wife used to work at the Snap Fitness in RV and that's where he works out in the offseason. Guy's a bazillionaire and doesn't have his own home gym. They don't even shut the place down when he's in there, he's just a totally normal dude in a little town. You can see him all the time at HS sporting events in Rock Valley and around our conference.

At the end of this year Scherff will have made $66M playing football and he lives in a 1,400 sqft, 2nd owner home that he and his wife bought for $250K per the county website. My classmate's dad was on the RV city council at the time, and they tried like hell to get him to buy one of their lots in a new subdivision and build but he wouldn't do it. The dude is tight with his money and isn't into buying anything fancy. He fits in perfectly around here, tbh.

Blythe is a good, but not spectacular center, and center is not a position that commands big dollars. From what I read, given his age and skills, he wasn't getting multiyear offers. It sounds like he could have done a bit better if he stayed put, but wanted to play for the Chiefs at a bit of a discount. Veteran guys like that tend to play one year at a time. I suspect if he has a really good year, he might be able to sign something a bit more long term and team friendly. I think most guys who have been in the league for more than one contract covet getting a ring before they are shown the door.

And, he is a Chiefs fan. Can't beat that.

Scherff is a great story.

He lives in Rock Valley (where his wife is from) which is 20 mins from me. He's back here pretty much anytime football isn't going on and you see the guy quite a bit even during the season. I'd say he spends WAY more time in Sioux County than he ever does in DC.

His wife used to work at the Snap Fitness in RV and that's where he works out in the offseason. Guy's a bazillionaire and doesn't have his own home gym. They don't even shut the place down when he's in there, he's just a totally normal dude in a little town. You can see him all the time at HS sporting events in Rock Valley and around our conference.

At the end of this year Scherff will have made $66M playing football and he lives in a 1,400 sqft, 2nd owner home that he and his wife bought for $250K per the county website. My classmate's dad was on the RV city council at the time, and they tried like hell to get him to buy one of their lots in a new subdivision and build but he wouldn't do it. The dude is tight with his money and isn't into buying anything fancy. He fits in perfectly around here, tbh.
That's awesome I didn't know he lived up that way figured he was closer to Denison. Had no idea about his wife being from up that way. He posts hunting pics a lot and there's a whole lot of pheasants up that way.

That's about as crazy tight as it gets with handling $ of that nature. I'm sure he's got a nice truck or 2 and a gun collection to be jealous of but even still that'd be peanuts compared to what he's got. $250k home... That's probably a pretty nice home in that ball park but even that's on the conservative side for a 2 income family nowadays if both make decent middle class $. But yeah that's just who he and his wife are I'm sure. If the Paulson twins down in Moville woulda ended up that good they'd have been pretty darn similar I bet.

Austin was financially set for life from birth. His grandfather owned Holden Seeds in Williamsburg, IA which was the largest independent seed producer in the US before he sold to Monsanto in 1997 for $1BN. Wouldn't be surprised if he took a pay cut to be closer to home. Both he and his wife are from the same town.

I can't stand the LA Rams coach, he just rubs me the wrong way. I would take a pay cut just to get away from that guy.

Austin was financially set for life from birth. His grandfather owned Holden Seeds in Williamsburg, IA which was the largest independent seed producer in the US before he sold to Monsanto in 1997 for $1BN. Wouldn't be surprised if he took a pay cut to be closer to home. Both he and his wife are from the same town.
Yeah some dudes are born on 3rd base. Not his fault but yeah I'm sure he's not stressing about money and that part of it all.