Clowns have their man

Otzelberger had a kid from our high school conference on his UNLV team.

I wonder if Mineral Point's Isaac Lindsey wishes he had stayed with football instead (like Alex Erickson, another former conference rival).

Did you all see the Pollard spot with him talking about his high moral values for the next Clowny coach? What a douche.

I'd be curious to know when he was first contacted. Like prior to Prohms firing? Because how are guys getting hired in a day in a half? Not much time for searching/interviewing multiple people etc. There's no Rooney rule for college hoops obviously but there's going to be always be that talk when hirings like this happen...

Which is the more stupid knee jerk hire, Pretzelburger to the clowns or little Richie to the lobos? I think both will be disasters, and I will love that.

Interesting, I don't think it's a terrible hire, personally. Not a slam dunk necessarily but, on the other hand, a lot of slam dunks turn out to be air-bank layups.

I'm not putting a lot of eggs in the UNLV basket, that being such a small sample set. The SDSU experience is intriguing, but a couple important limiting factors there I've come to be wary of:

1. His success at SDSU came on the heels of an already-successful predecessor.

2. SDSU plays at a much lower level of ball and on a more level playing field than does ISU. ISU has the same systemic challenges being competitive in the Big XII as we do being competitive in the Big Ten. SDSU is in a much different competitive landscape in the Summit League.

On the other hand, winning is winning. I guarantee if I had been handed the SDSU reins, I would have easily turned a losing season within 3 years, so it's not as though you can just fall completely ass-backwards into that kind of success.

All in all, I think ISU fans would be wise to give him a chance. They, like us, are far from a blue blood program and as such are going to have to take somewhat of a flyer on their coaching hires. This guy at least has some familiarity with their program (ex asst) and has shown the ability to win in the past. It's fair to be skeptical, but I don't think I'd be doom and gloom either.

So...if they really do want Fred, here's a "conspiracy theory" (much as I hate that term) for you.
They can't afford to pay Fred's escape money yet, it's $10.25M. But it drops to $5M in 3 years....Zero after that. They give TJ 3-4 years, if he doesn't get it done they're in position to bring Hoiberg back without breaking the bank.

Interesting, I don't think it's a terrible hire, personally. Not a slam dunk necessarily but, on the other hand, a lot of slam dunks turn out to be air-bank layups.

I'm not putting a lot of eggs in the UNLV basket, that being such a small sample set. The SDSU experience is intriguing, but a couple important limiting factors there I've come to be wary of:

1. His success at SDSU was because of Mike Daum
Fixed for accuracy :)

So...if they really do want Fred, here's a "conspiracy theory" (much as I hate that term) for you.
They can't afford to pay Fred's escape money yet, it's $10.25M. But it drops to $5M in 3 years....Zero after that. They give TJ 3-4 years, if he doesn't get it done they're in position to bring Hoiberg back without breaking the bank.

With the recruiting class that Nebraska has coming in, I think that Fred will be doing well 1-2 years from now, at which point Nebby will either secure him with a lucrative extension or some other team will lure him away.