Bad draw

Michigan gets LSU in the second round so nobody has it easy. Georgetown in as a 13-12 team.
Georgetown would not have made it. They won their conference tournament championship so they were an automatic qualifier. Pushed some bubble team out.

Georgetown would not have made it. They won their conference tournament championship so they were an automatic qualifier. Pushed some bubble team out.

Seems it was Louisville but hey they still have a chance this year since the first four out are Covid replacement teams.

I am assuming you meant Ohio State? I’d take the Ohio State draw any day. I could see Iowa making it to the final four in that bracket.
The announcer on the Big Show on the BTN is saying the same thing . That is the weakest bracket to be in. Baylor is good but they are not a Gonzaga, Illinois or Michigan.

Too damn bad we are just that super star point guard from being a one seed and a final four team.

The loss of Nunge will hurt us since there is no one to back up Garza. To get Garza some in game rest we have to go to a zone defense and put Joe W and Murray back guarding the baseline and using their quickness to rebound. Joe will have to play in front of the opponents Bigs and Murray use his shot blocking skills to defend the front of the rim. That will be the key to defending the defensive half court when Garza is catching a brief rest on the bench.

I expect a sweet 16 at the worst and a good shot of getting to the elite eight, but if Gonzaga is there it is over at that point. That team is just to quick for Iowa. If we get that far hope for a Gonzaga let down and knockout along the way and that we get someone else.

Don’t count out Izzo and the Spartans. Izzy is one of the best tourney coaches I have ever seen.

Don’t count out Izzo and the Spartans. Izzy is one of the best tourney coaches I have ever seen.
He is but they would have to show consistency that they haven't shown all season.

Its difficult to imagine them going three or four games with coughing up a shooting clunker or a game where the effort isn't there. And there are probably 25 point guards in this field who could maul Rocket Watts.

Seems it was Louisville but hey they still have a chance this year since the first four out are Covid replacement teams.
If I was the Ville I'd be rooting hard for the Roner to knock out a top seeded team. Man what an opportunity.

I think Gonzaga is the best matchup for Iowa. Baylor and Illinois have the best guards in the country so we are lucky to have both if them in the other side of the bracket. Michigan is possibly a better matchup with Livers out but the verdict isn't in on that one. We got whatever shot we wanted last time we played Gonzaga. Just shot very poorly. I also think Murray can really help check Suggs. Dude is so quick and long with elite anticipation.

Kind of a drag that with a #2 seed the Hawks face a Power 5 Conference regular season champion in the 2nd Round...am guessing that perhaps hasn't EVER happened before. Frankly, that sucks. How the hell does 20-6 Oregon end up with a #7 seed? I know the Pac12 is supposedly 'weak', but WOW. They are the top #7 seed, and I'm guessing they were close to a #6 seed -- the other #7 seeds don't even seem in the same class: Florida (14-9!), Clemson & UConn. Also, typically Iowa, as the third #2 seed, would be paired with the second #1 seed (Baylor). But because Ohio St. as the second ranked #2 couldn't be put in the same bracket as a #1 seed from the same conference (Illinois), and since OSU was seeded higher than Iowa, they get the second ranked #1 Baylor rather than Iowa, and since Iowa couldn't be seeded in the same bracket as Michigan or Illinois, that left us in Gonzaga's bracket. Ohio State moved ahead of Iowa among the #2 seeds by beating Michigan in the BTT...if Michigan would have beaten Ohio St it's likely Iowa would be in Baylor's bracket and Ohio st. in Gonzaga's. I had never known about the rule of not putting #1 and #2 seeds from the same conference in the same bracket until this year. The Iowa-Kansas pairing as #2 and #3 was fairly predictable. Looking at Michigan's bracket -- they're toast...they have not looked right their last few games.

Anyone see that former Rutgers big man Eugene Omoruyi now plays for Oregon?

He caused us some trouble when he played for Rutgers.

And speaking of bad draws Illinois sure got one. Their reward for their best season since 2005 is a potential second round game with Loyola, an in state rival who Illinois wouldn't dream of otherwise scheduling and who is one of the best defensive teams in the country.

The Ramblers would be jacked up for that one....big time.

We in and hell of alot better then our typical 7 to 9 seed position. Play smart, play tough and things will work out. Time to take all our skill and what we've learned and put it into practice after some r and r. Need coaches to show up big as well.

Anyone see that former Rutgers big man Eugene Omoruyi now plays for Oregon?

He caused us some trouble when he played for Rutgers.

And speaking of bad draws Illinois sure got one. Their reward for their best season since 2005 is a potential second round game with Loyola, an in state rival who Illinois wouldn't dream of otherwise scheduling and who is one of the best defensive teams in the country.

The Ramblers would be jacked up for that one....big time.
I agree with Loyola being one tough out. Glad Hawks won't have them in the draw.

It's all tough this time of year. Anything goes,

To Wit:

St Joe's/Depaul 1980
Loyola Marymount/Michigan 1990
Weber State/NC 1999
Hampton/ISU 2001
Iowa/NW State
UNI/KS 2009
Florida Gulf Coast/Georgetown 2013
UMBC/Virginia 2018

Just sayn

I think the offense will show up. It’s what we do defensively that dictates how far we go. Forget the draw...only game they can focus on is Grand Canton. Overlook them the bracket means cs absolutely nothing.
Don’t get to fill out brackets one game/round at a time...have to look ahead. Everyone is talking about Oregon and I think we’ll be playing VCU.

I think Gonzaga is the best matchup for Iowa. Baylor and Illinois have the best guards in the country so we are lucky to have both if them in the other side of the bracket. Michigan is possibly a better matchup with Livers out but the verdict isn't in on that one. We got whatever shot we wanted last time we played Gonzaga. Just shot very poorly. I also think Murray can really help check Suggs. Dude is so quick and long with elite anticipation.
I wanted Zags then MI. I love our path.

Don’t get to fill out brackets one game/round at a time...have to look ahead. Everyone is talking about Oregon and I think we’ll be playing VCU.

Correct, but filling out a bracket and reality are two different things. Sure bracket challenges require you to think ahead, but fact is that doesn't impact the teams playing at all. Still got to show up on game day ready for business. Thinking ahead at this time of year can get them back on campus much sooner than anticipated.

Oregon lurking in the 2nd round and Kansas around there as well.
I'm not sure there is an easy draw to be had. Lots of solid teams out there. Can Iowa lose to Oregon or KS? Yeah if we aren't on we can. But on our best day neither of them should touch us. I think we control our destiny till we play Gonzaga frankly. Can we beat them on our best day? Yeah but it'd take that and them not necessarily having their best either. They just have a ton of talent.

Latest posts