Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

No, they absolutely couldn't. There are a lot of jobs that are going to open starting today. Fran was woefully underpaid and extremely vulnerable. Um, and Mike Brey might be out at ND.....uh, yeah, Iowa needed to shore this up RIGHT now.
If Fran wants to leave that bad, so be it. Let him try to earn some top end success in the tourney first before laying out more green. imho

Barta is a poor businessman.

Of course, if they get to an Elite 8 it will look like a good move. But, I would be holding my cards close until that is accomplished.

My concern, my superstition really, is that Barta has such a "knack" for timing, I cannot shake this feeling we were just cursed.............

If Fran wants to leave that bad, so be it. Let him try to earn some top end success in the tourney first before laying out more green.
So, you think Iowa wants to start over and do a rebuild and let a good coach walk? One that just coached the NPOY? You are literally off your rocker. Fran is good for Iowa, he's the 11th highest paid coach in the league, Iowa needed to lock him down - what he's continued to do at Iowa is envious of many programs.

Oh, and did I mention that Mike Brey might be out? Fran was in line to be a pretty hot commodity this off season, at least for once it appears our athletic program had some foresite. Iowa needed to get this deal done.

So, you think Iowa wants to start over and do a rebuild and let a good coach walk? One that just coached the NPOY? You are literally off your rocker. Fran is good for Iowa, he's the 11th highest paid coach in the league, Iowa needed to lock him down - what he's continued to do at Iowa is envious of many programs.
Meh....if he can make a run in the Tourney with Garza then I will feel different. This is premature.

Oh, and did I mention that Mike Brey might be out? Fran was in line to be a pretty hot commodity this off season, at least for once it appears our athletic program had some foresite. Iowa needed to get this deal done.
Let him go there if he wants. Personally, I want Fran to want to be here.

Not trying to rag on Fran as this is more about Barta and timing. Barta has pulled the same shit with Kirk as well.

So desperate to lock up coaches with long contracts. Again, it will really look good if they make an Elite 8 run or better, but he could have waited to extend this.

Just like he could have waited to retire Garza's number.

Also, I don't think Fran would leave for Notre Dame anyway. Not with his sons going through Iowa.

Last edited:
Let him go there if he wants. Personally, I want Fran to want to be here.
I mean...sure, but that's not really how business works and it's definitely not how coaching hires work. I mean, I love my job and I want to be there every day. But if someone from another place came and offered me more money and a better situation (Which ND is) why wouldn't I want to do that? Iowa doesn't have the luxury of paying Fran peanuts any more. He's earned a raise and I'm sure if Iowa wasn't gonna give it to him, someone was. So, in the end, it doesn't really matter how happy or how much he wants to be here if someone else wants to pay him more, that's tough to turn down.

and if the last 20 years or so have shown us anything its that not just anyone works in this role. It's a fit job and one that's not that entirely easy to do. We've had to take a lot of lumps because that wasn't something we realized back in the late 90's. Iowa doesn't want to go back to that unknown, we want the guy who's going to tourney every year at a high clip that runs a clean program and produces stars and plays an exciting brand of basketball. Losing Fran after this season would have been one of Gary's worst gafs in a long list of gafs.

My thoughts from both sides. Barta could have waited until season played out. Sure their are other programs that could/have cut ties with their coaches that could be knocking down the door, but Fran has 2 kids playing for him wearing black and gold. I think he'd of listened immediately after we exited the tournament if he wanted to.

On Fran's side if we make a deep run he could have used the openings nationwide as leverage for an extension based on being a hot commodity.

I've been hard on Fran over the years, but glad to see he's staying with us, but think the timing still seems off.

and if the last 20 years or so have shown us anything its that not just anyone works in this role. It's a fit job and one that's not that entirely easy to do. We've had to take a lot of lumps because that wasn't something we realized back in the late 90's. Iowa doesn't want to go back to that unknown, we want the guy who's going to tourney every year at a high clip that runs a clean program and produces stars and plays an exciting brand of basketball. Losing Fran after this season would have been one of Gary's worst gafs in a long list of gafs.
I will just say this, let's get some top end success with him first before extending. Then, I think it would be reasonable. If not, the next coach will be waiting in the wings that we can get behind. Not every situation will end in a Lickliter or Alford. Mr. Davis did wonderful things with Ravelings recruits for example.

Latest posts