Is the goal post moving again for NCAA tourney expectations?

What hurt worse, UNLV or Northwestern State? Both are losses that sting forever. Another one of those losses is almost certainly coming this year.

I think a Sweet 16 or above loss could borderline on anger/despair depending on how it turns out. Not getting through the first weekend would be anger.
Relaxxxxxxx.

Just like they say you should under promise and over deliver, you should set expectations for things you can't control way below your anger threshold and be pleasantly surprised when they come through.

Iowa is a small market, non-blue blood school which recruits about 60-80th best every year. They've had a damn good season, and rated right now by the only ranking that counts as 6th best in the country out of over 200 D1 schools. We have the likely POY for the first time in school history, and 3 out of 5 starters coming back with a possible future All American coming in in Keegan Murray.

Step back off the ledge. Yes, it'd suck to go in as a 2 seed and lose to a 15 but that's not going to happen. Then it's either a 7 or 10 seed and guess what...those are damn good teams.

You can either suffer or enjoy Iowa's place in basketball; it ain't changin'.

Relaxxxxxxx.

Just like they say you should under promise and over deliver, you should set expectations for things you can't control way below your anger threshold and be pleasantly surprised when they come through.

Iowa is a small market, non-blue blood school which recruits about 60-80th best every year. They've had a damn good season, and rated right now by the only ranking that counts as 6th best in the country out of over 200 D1 schools. We have the likely POY for the first time in school history, and 3 out of 5 starters coming back with a possible future All American coming in in Keegan Murray.

Step back off the ledge. Yes, it'd suck to go in as a 2 seed and lose to a 15 but that's not going to happen. Then it's either a 7 or 10 seed and guess what...those are damn good teams.

You can either suffer or enjoy Iowa's place in basketball; it ain't changin'.
It is all good Fry. But, getting smashed being 9 vs a 1 no shame in that. But, a 2 losing to a 15 really blows.

To clarify if I confused you....I was just basically saying if Iowa gets to the Sweet 16 or above it is going to hurt (but in a good way) because you know your team did something really worthwhile this year.

Losing in the 1st and 2nd round, for this team, would be hard to swallow.

Last edited:
What hurt worse, UNLV or Northwestern State? Both are losses that sting forever. Another one of those losses is almost certainly coming this year.
UNLV....because Iowa was good enough to win the whole thing that year....and let it get away from them in the 2nd half of that game.

I laughed when we lost to Northwestern State. Don't get me wrong, I felt sorry for the players. But I hated Alford with a passion.

I would be content with making the Sweet 16 since it's been so long. If we can make the Elite 8 or better I will be thrilled. The team definitely has the talent and if they can keep playing more inspired defense like they have been recently the sky is the limit.

Avoiding that 7 - 10 seeding for a change will be immensely helpful so that we're not stuck playing a 1 or 2 seed in the round of 32 like we have each time under Fran.

I would be content with making the Sweet 16 since it's been so long. If we can make the Elite 8 or better I will be thrilled. The team definitely has the talent and if they can keep playing more inspired defense like they have been recently the sky is the limit.

Avoiding that 7 - 10 seeding for a change will be immensely helpful so that we're not stuck playing a 1 or 2 seed in the round of 32 like we have each time under Fran.
We probably won't avoid the 7-10 seed again, but this time we will be on the other end of it.

UNLV....because Iowa was good enough to win the whole thing that year....and let it get away from them in the 2nd half of that game.

I laughed when we lost to Northwestern State. Don't get me wrong, I felt sorry for the players. But I hated Alford with a passion.
That was a sad time to be a Hawkeye BB fan. A great team with a lot of Iowans starting. But then there was Alfraud. I too hated him passionately. I wanted the team to do well, but if they did it helped that rat bastard. Aaargh!

For me it's UNLV, but that's also mostly because we haven't gotten back to that level in the 30+ years since. This year's season has the potential to end just like it did in 87, but I'm good with that.

The NWST game pissed me off but I had a much easier time moving on from that one because I never thought Iowa was really a final four team in 2006.

This year's team? I think they have that potential, moreso than 2006 IMHO. Guess we'll just have to take it as it comes. Yeah the end of the season will likely be a hard loss to swallow.

For me the Jacksonville loss.
I'm with you there. Downtown Freddy Brown, John Johnson, the Stick Vidnovic... what a team! Undefeated in the Big 10 and scored over 100 in every game. Jacksonville had a front line of 7'2" Artis Gillmore and 7' Pembroke Burrows. Gilmore averaged 26 points and 22 rebounds that year. Holy smokes!!!! Jacksonville lost to UCLA in the championship game that year.

I will just take whatever comes. I have been a Hawkeye fan for way too long to let any single loss crush me, because it has way too many times in both basketball and football.
I will be upset if they lose the first week, but more disappointed for the players because I know they have real potential to go much further.

I will not be surprised if they lose the first week because that is what I have been conditioned to live with through the last 20 years or so. I also will not be surprised if they make it to the Final Four. I have that much belief in this year's group, which is nice. Previous years' hopes in making the Elite 8/Final Four in the NCAA since NW St year have been pipe dreams, but this year I can finally dream with solid evidence to back it up.

If it does not happen, I will shrug it off and come back next year. If it does happen, you may see me running naked through my neighborhood waving a Hawkeye flag. be advised to keep your windows shut if you live in my area.

For me it's UNLV, but that's also mostly because we haven't gotten back to that level in the 30+ years since. This year's season has the potential to end just like it did in 87, but I'm good with that.

The NWST game pissed me off but I had a much easier time moving on from that one because I never thought Iowa was really a final four team in 2006.

This year's team? I think they have that potential, moreso than 2006 IMHO. Guess we'll just have to take it as it comes. Yeah the end of the season will likely be a hard loss to swallow.
Good point that the main reason those losses suck so bad is because of how rare it is to be in that position.

Here's what I love and hate about the tournament. It really doesn't matter what momentum you bring into the tourney...these games are all about match-ups and who is ready for the moment and doesn't cower to the one and done pressure. It really is a new season...and it's the teams that have confidence and trust in their stuff...that win games. You also need a couple guys that can hit big shots...when it gets down the round of 32 and 16. Someone has to make big shots in big moments. Do you hear me Joe Weiskamp...Jordan Bohannon...CJ Frederick...Keegan Murray?

I feel much better about our defense right now...we have shown we can get stops and not give up wide open looks in our man defense. The further you go...the better defenses you face and the better your defense better be. You have to get stops.

The way we played against nebraska wasn't good enough to win a 2nd round NCAA tourney game.
????? Odd take.

So, what did we have to beat them by 50? That was one of the most onesided college basketball games I have seen in years. If we left the starters in we would have put up an NBA score. Our scout team was scoring on them at will. That team had no heart and we played well. Ass kicking.

Its hard to sore like an eagle when you are dressing a turkey.....

Anything less than a sweet 16 will be highly disappointing.

Sweet 16 will meet expectations, but still, as the OP said it, feel a bit hollow.

Elite 8 and beyond I am estactic.

We make the final 4 and Fran gets a statue. If we win it all, Coralville is renamed FannyVille.

Here's what I love and hate about the tournament. It really doesn't matter what momentum you bring into the tourney...these games are all about match-ups and who is ready for the moment and doesn't cower to the one and done pressure. It really is a new season...and it's the teams that have confidence and trust in their stuff...that win games. You also need a couple guys that can hit big shots...when it gets down the round of 32 and 16. Someone has to make big shots in big moments. Do you hear me Joe Weiskamp...Jordan Bohannon...CJ Frederick...Keegan Murray?

I feel much better about our defense right now...we have shown we can get stops and not give up wide open looks in our man defense. The further you go...the better defenses you face and the better your defense better be. You have to get stops.
Wait .... Let me get my cochlear implant on... say again? Yes sir!
I'm with you there. Downtown Freddy Brown, John Johnson, the Stick Vidnovic... what a team! Undefeated in the Big 10 and scored over 100 in every game. Jacksonville had a front line of 7'2" Artis Gillmore and 7' Pembroke Burrows. Gilmore averaged 26 points and 22 rebounds that year. Holy smokes!!!! Jacksonville lost to UCLA in the championship game that year.
When I lived in Jacksonville, I used to go to JU to watch basketball games. Sometimes I used to drive down to Deland, Florida to watch Stetson University whenever JU play there. My old flame graduated from Stetson and works in the hospital in Jacksonville. Sometimes when I go to JU basketball games. I wondered how a small school such as JU plays a big school like Iowa or UCLA. In basketball. I don't think they even have a football team.

I dunno about that. I mean JBo shooting like that along with Garza makes us ridiculously tough. What if Garza played 10 more mins what coulda he done? Even with limited production from JW and CJ they put up a ton of points/possession which puts so much pressure on teams to keep up. Combining that with how much better our D has been the last 3 weeks or so and I think that's a good recipe.

I would be interested to know if we weren't up playing like we were if CM woulda been as aggressive at shooting. He hoisted up a bunch and he wasn't feeling it to put it nicely. Something like that could hurt us for sure of he were to go 1-7 or 2-10 or some shit. But I don't think he'd have kept chucking them in a closer game unless he'd hit a couple more early.
JBo’s output is directly relational to the quality of opponent. He’s not scoring like that on any team after the first round. Weezy is the guy who has to step up for Iowa to make a run.

Get out of the first weekend and it is all gravy after that. That's been my stance since the Illnois game last March. I get the "matchup" argument and I get PChawk's argument it is just one of those seasons/teams that you have to take advantage of. I am not going to denounce my fandom if they do not make it out of the first weekend, but I will be soooooo disappointed.

I witnessed that loss in the Kingdome

That was a bitter pill to swallow

Latest posts