Players Sharing Revenue

There are not lot of pragmatist these days. Pragmatist: One who acts in response to particular situations rather than upon abstract ideals; one who is willing to ignore their ideals to accomplish goals.

A lot of mud is going to be thrown at the wall while this revenue sharing gets sorted out. How much sticks and is adopted is unclear. In observing the participants you can see every negative form of behavior because the money incentives are too great to be ignored. Right now there are not clear goals. If one of the goals is financial equity among conferences and colleges it isn't going to fly. Witness the animosity that broke up the Big XII. When one of your own conference members can't agree on how much of the pie they deserve it is a recipe for failure.

I'm not sure you can get the 4 conferences to sit down and write a Nicene Creed for College sports. Finding a person to accomplish that would be challenging. At this point you really need an agreement for the parties involved to accept an arbitrator to establish the framework for revenue sharing. If congress legislated it to NLRB appointed arbitrator you most likely would get something done.

This might be the most intelligent thread I have read on a sports board, ever.

Fry, not liking this particular change does not mean old people don't understand and want change because not all change is good. For example, outside of a few ultra wealthy bankers does anyone think the banking industry is either safe or solid in the US, and frankly most Western/Middle Eastern nations? I'd like repeal Dodd-Frank and Gram Leach Bliley. Return to Glass Steagall, from 1933 and the New Deal-and I'm a Republican.

Or smaller issues. I'd like to see a four-square block new arena starting where Book & Supply and working toward Burlington. That's big change.

Old White men have seen a lot in the world. We've been sold on "change" countless times and it turned out to be change for the worse.
I come across a lot more people in daily life than I do online of on HN, and I talk a lot of college sports because I'm a boring person and don't have a lot of interesting stuff going on.

The older crowd are overwhelmingly the ones who are against NIL and transfers. By far and away. This board is not your typical demographic because most people here are 99% more informed than the general public, so I get the bristling about me saying what I said.

But the fact still remains that most of the folks railing against NIL and free transferring are white guys over 60. And they're railing against it for no reason other than it messes with their idyllic version of what college sports should be and can't come up with a substantive argument that doesn't eventually circle back to, "Because I said so..."

...NIL is a problem that needs fixing.
It's not a "problem" that affects you in any way other than your own nostalgic longing. You have no stake in any college athletes' lives, no stake in a college sports team, no stake in any of it. If college sports disappeared altogether or if it thrived it would make zero material difference in your life. NIL and transferring has no affect on the public good whatsoever, either. It's all paid for with privately generated money.

But yet you think that even though it has no effect on you or society (other than your moral perception) that you should be able to dictate how these kids' personal lives go. That's total bullshit. It isn't any of your business whether a kid transfers or leaves a school for more money or gets 5 cars and a house given to him to play sports. You are free to not like it (I don't either), but that's where it ends. If enough people stop watching because of it...it'll go away on it's own. But guess what...that' ain't happening.

It isn't a problem. You just think it's a problem.

Traditions are important for every culture. They cleave us. They distinguish us from the somewhere else people. Funding college athletics isn't Christmas either. The Rubicon has been crossed on player payment, there is no going back on that. We need a fix in place for the portal, and there are many options, before the current combination of constant free agency and no team salary caps does destroy college sports for all but the most addicted of fans.

Latest posts